corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky HD

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky HD
ed

User status: Offline
7th Oct 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really doing my head in

It still doesn't work, it's not worked for about 8 months There have been so many problems with it, from the triplexer in my flat not working to the signal not getting to the distribution panel on my floor properly.

Today a tech from Sky came over because I was getting pissed off with it not working, he replaced my box which was working okish at the time for some miracle with a new one. This new box now wont turn on - it just sits in standby and does absolutely nothing. The tech even said that it wasn't the box that was at fault

I've spent £7 already this week phoning fucking India and I can't be bothered with their crap customer service anymore

So rant over, has anyone else had this problem and resolved it without having to phone their premium rate phone line only to be told to turn the fucking thing on and off again?

Also, what wiring do you need for cable? I assume it comes through it's own dedicated cable right?

[Edited on 07-10-2009 by ed]
ed

7th Oct 09 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HDD Failure after 3 hours on standby it would seem
ed

7th Oct 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pain, anger and desperation made me do this:

But to complete my half hour of CS blogging, I think I have fixed it. I think it had a loose SATA connection because the HDD spun up, but the box shut itself down after. Now it works after 'checking' the connections on the HDD.
dannymccann

7th Oct 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you just write a complaint to their HO and say if its not sorted with some sort of refund for the last 8 months you will be taking them to Watchdog or Which? or Trading Standards etc
ed

7th Oct 09 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the only way it's going to get sorted is by making a fuss. The box works again now, but the signals gone again.

Even the complaints department at Sky is on a premium rate line. The do my head in
dannymccann

7th Oct 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Call customer services (SayNoTo0870 to find a free mobile number) and ask them for the complaints address

I had it written down somewhere the other day but its gone walkies

[Edited on 07-10-2009 by dannymccann]
ed

7th Oct 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the numbers on that website have been blocked. I just asked for a refund on the service call out, however they can't do that, I also asked for them to terminate the service because it's a waste of money as it doesn't work and he said he'd transfer me, but he cut me off
dannymccann

7th Oct 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is definetly 1 number on there that works as I used it only last week when my internet refused to work, cant remember which one it was though
ed

7th Oct 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same problem again with the box. This is so annoying; I really like Sky TV, but it doesn't work, I can't get Virgin and that BT thing is really that great.
Dom

8th Oct 09 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just the sky box you're having problems with? But just keep phoning and get them to replace it, and just make a huff that you've had issues with sky for the last 8 months and it's starting to take the piss. etc etc
ed

8th Oct 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting a new box for free. But it just shows how no one cars about anything these days, landlord doesn't take resposibility for the flat - says it's the building manager. The building manager doesn't give a shit and uses the excuse that the contractor has gone bust. I can't get my own engineer in to repair the system because they 'can't touch it'. Argh
N16K

8th Oct 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this post makes me glad i only have sky+
A2H GO

8th Oct 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This post makes me even more glad i went for Freeview+ as i knew what i would be letting myself in for.
ed

8th Oct 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only a problem if you have a communal connection, it would seem.
Edd

8th Oct 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you are having issues purely with the communal dish?

your box will be fine

really not anything sky can do mate?
ed

8th Oct 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for skimming over the thread and missing most of the point. There was nothing wrong with my Sky box, I phoned for an engineer to sort out a weak signal problem, they told me that they couldn't work on the comunal system and replaced a functioning box with a box with a defective HDD, so there is now a problem with the box. What they should have done is informed me over the phone that their can't work on signal issues on communal systems and not charged me a £65 call out.
Edd

8th Oct 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or maybe the engineer sympathized that you had paid 65 bucks and thought i'll maybe give the guy a new box to justify you actually paying £65 and bad luck being bad luck the box has went tits up....but under our new system he should have left you a card covering you for any other problems within 30 days

if not he didnt do his job properly
jrsteeve

8th Oct 09 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be against the lease but have you looked into just installing your own dish? Obvs depends how high up you are, access to outside etc but possibly worth a try to sort the signal problem.
Ste
Premium Member

8th Oct 09 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a communal connection on my Sky + HD and my only issue is that I only have one lnb at my disposal so I can't record a different channel to the one I'm watching.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
ed

8th Oct 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The box has a 3 month warranty. Like I say, I don't give a shit about the box, I'm sick of waiting for the landlord/building manager to get the connection sorted hence getting in my own engineer. I didn't know that they weren't allowed to touch the system outside my flat. There is nothing wrong with the dish, there is some kind of issue with the triplexer unit in the cupboard outside my front door.

I can't have my own dish, it's against my tenancy, planning rules and building rules! Plus I'm facing the wrong direction for it and it'd take all my balcony space.

You can now get a quadraplexed signal, so it is possible to have sky+ on a shared connection. In my building there are a few spare sky outlets on each floor and as far as I believe it's first come first served. I think I'm going to go along the route of kicking up a massive fuss and get them to have sky+ sorted when they come to replace the triplexing hardware. Not sure if that will work, but if they can do it without any extra cabling I might be able to blag it
ed

8th Oct 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and one thing that Sky need to know. A person who works on Sky installations should not be using the title 'engineer'

Wouldn't get away with that kind of shit in Germany.
Dom

8th Oct 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be the multiswitcher (takes the 4 bands from a Quattro LNB and distributes), actually it'll probably be a Cascade system but it's pretty similar, that's probably died - no doubt something cheap from CPC or the likes.
Bang on at them and get it fixed, Sat distribution isn't exactly rocket science

Can you truely quadraplex a sat signal? I know you can dual output sockets, one is usually a triplex signal (Sat/TV/Radio etc) the other is a straight through, but yet to see a true quadraplexed system (ie: Sat/Sat/Tv/Radio)
ed

9th Oct 09 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the rumour that's going around. I didn't quite believe it at first either because I couldn't figure out how you could quadraplex two of the same signals and then separate them at the other end, but then I saw quadraplexing outlets which apparently only have one input on the back of them at Screwfix.
Sam
Premium Member

9th Oct 09 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you may or may not know, the 'Sky' engineers aren't actually from Sky at all, they are just sub contracted - they won't give a shit as they get paid regardless!
Jules

9th Oct 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed you have u2u from Russ via me

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll