corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any training/qualified pilots on here?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any training/qualified pilots on here?
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
9th Oct 09 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a feeling I've read stuff posted by Ed about flight training, or did I imagine that?
I really really want to become a helicopter pilot, im going for my first lesson next week for my birthday present and if it goes well etc then I will have to start making proper plans about saving up for the training, i know its gonna be a long process etc. but out of interest, is there anyone else on here who is training, qualified or taken lessons in the past?
John

9th Oct 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's expensive and you need a type rating for every different helicopter afaik.

I'd be a pilot if I had unlimited supplies of cash
CorsAsh

9th Oct 09 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're right, Ed's our resident Maverick.

Oh, you're on about choppers though. It's massively more expensive as said than fixed wing flying lessons. I think it was about 4 times more for an hour's taster session over something in a Cessna for instance when I got one for my 21st.

[Edited on 09-10-2009 by CorsAsh]
AlunJ

9th Oct 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd love to be a pilot if I had lots of cash, going to go for a trial lesson next year I hope
ed

9th Oct 09 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a PPL for single piston engined aircraft. It lets me fly in daytime and only when the weather is good. I'm getting my night rating in two weeks so I can fly in the dark

Helicopters are a lot more expensive than fixed wing. But I guess it's personal preference and if you can afford it then go for it because it's hugely rewarding!
ed

9th Oct 09 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to put the cost into perspective. A Piper PA28 which has 4 seats and will cruise at 110kts will cost you about £140 an hour for lessons, a Robinson R44 which has 4 seats and will cruise at 110kts will costs you £480 an hour for lessons.

You wouldn't really learn in an R44 though, I think most people learn in an R22 which is probably going to be cheaper as it's a 2 seater that does about 90kts.

Sorry for the negativity. Just trying to be informative
liamC

10th Oct 09 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate is currently on the Pilot Cadet scheme being ran by Etihad.

All paid for by Etihad, and you pay them back the 70k over the 5 years of your employment with them (Which is the minimum you have to stay with them for them paying for it all etc)

Get paid about 1200 a month to do the course, with accomodation provided as well, which is sweet.
Cavey

10th Oct 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate or mine is currently between Oxford and MK (can't remember exactly where) training to be a commercial pilot, he paid £60k up front for the course irrc.

He's already had a bit of training as a pilot in the RAF when he went to uni, but think he's starting afresh with it now.

He's been told that when he's done there will 90% be a job for him which will re-coup a fair bit of the payment i'd imagine, and it's not like they have to do anything these days anyway, so life is looking pretty good for him
ed

10th Oct 09 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear, that's £60k your friend will regret spending.
AndyKent

10th Oct 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cranfield cavey?

Seems like a hell of a lot to pay up-front with no guarantee of work
Cavey

10th Oct 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why's that?

I THINK that's what he's doing anyway.

He'll get the perfect thing from it no matter what, he's a bastard.

He's the nicest bloke you'll ever meet, always had fit girlfriends.

He went to liverpool uni, paid for by the RAF, learnt to fly etc... had an amazing time there, got a good degree result, then went round the world for a year or so, had an amazing time, meeting tons of people, great places, and copious amounts of drugs

He came back, and within a month or so landed a 30k a year job, company car etc... lived at home for a couple of years, saved £20k a year, and now he's doing this which he seems to be enjoying.

I came to Derby Uni, got pissed for 5 years, now i'm a postman
Cavey

10th Oct 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, is Cranfield judging by his facebook
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Oct 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a taster lesson in a r22, was a bit ill during the flight though after he showed me some emergency landing practices
if i had some money its something i would love to do though
ed

10th Oct 09 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Why's that?

There are a lot of unemployed pilots out there at the moment who have paid a lot of money for a licence that's not going to get them work until 2013-2014. To put it into context, there are airlines charging low hour'd pilots to come and work for them. WTF
Cavey

10th Oct 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, fair enough, well he's only 26, so plenty of time left for him if he can't get any work at the moment.

I'm sure something will fall into his lap anyway, fingers crossed.
chrex

10th Oct 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wanted to do it through the Navy. always wanted to be a rotary pilot but missed out on a grade!
drunkenfool

10th Oct 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Just to put the cost into perspective. A Piper PA28 which has 4 seats and will cruise at 110kts will cost you about £140 an hour for lessons, a Robinson R44 which has 4 seats and will cruise at 110kts will costs you £480 an hour for lessons.

You wouldn't really learn in an R44 though, I think most people learn in an R22 which is probably going to be cheaper as it's a 2 seater that does about 90kts.

Sorry for the negativity. Just trying to be informative

Thanks for the info Ed. I looked on the tiger helicopter site (the closest company to here) and they estimate the training costs to be around £70k. I've actually moved back in with my mum temporarily after finishing uni but my parents split up (again, long story) a few weeks ago so I can actually see myself living here with her for a year and saving my money to put towards the training. My gran has also said she's gonna sell a family airloom and give me the money which is absolutely amazing of her! It will all depend how the lesson goes on the 19th and the talk with the instructor, but if theres no major obstructions in my way that im not aware of at the moment then I really really want to do this
ed

10th Oct 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you're wanting to be a commercial heli pilot? If that's the case I'd do a bit more than taking a trial lesson, it's an obvious place to start, as is having a chat to the instructor. Just make sure you do the research
drunkenfool

10th Oct 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Why's that?

There are a lot of unemployed pilots out there at the moment who have paid a lot of money for a licence that's not going to get them work until 2013-2014. To put it into context, there are airlines charging low hour'd pilots to come and work for them. WTF

Ed, do you know if the situtation is the same for helicopter pilots? I know what the instuctors will tell me next week so obviously its better to hear from someone who has real world experience.
drunkenfool

10th Oct 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U got msn mate?
ed

10th Oct 09 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know much about rotary stuff. It's probably all different in comparison to airline flying. Have a look in the wannabes section of pprune.org, I think there is also a heli section on there. Be a bit warey on that forum, almost everyone on there is like Vibrio

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any training/qualified pilots on here? 22 database queries in 0.0163579 seconds