corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day......Tyres for road cycling.....and new road bike suggestions

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike day......Tyres for road cycling.....and new road bike suggestions
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
12th Oct 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been cycling to work quite a bit recently....its about a 20 mile road trip so I needed to sort a few things out on the bike. Couldnt be bothered to order stuff off line as I needed a new wheel and innertube for saturday morning.

So I popped into Halfrauds on the way home and picked up a shop marked aluminium wheel for £25- was half price, and got a new set of these continental road tyres......have to say they are fukcing awesome......if your cycling distance on road then these will make your life much easier imo.

Not sure what they will be like over winter when the roads are slippy, and im dubious over their resistance to puntures....but for speed and ride comfort they beat the fukc out of the tyres that came with my GT

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Dr Pepper]

[Edited on 13-10-2009 by Dr Pepper]
Jay

12th Oct 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cycle 20 miles to work, fuck that, how long does that take.
Ian W

12th Oct 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are the tyres ?
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayM

Agreed I cba with the 6 mile either to Tesco, break out the motorbike
Jay

12th Oct 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
quote:
Originally posted by JayM

Agreed I cba with the 6 mile either to Tesco, break out the motorbike

I live about 4 miles from my work (strangley also Tesco) and couldnt be arsed riding that, not to mention I dont have a bike.
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i assume you already had the bike before you started this job and didn't buy it knowing you would have a 20 mile on road commute?
them tyres will make it a hell of a lot easier but i would consider changing for a road bike or at least a hybrid.
pow
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drive 18 miles to work and fuck riding it
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
How much are the tyres ?

Evans have them for £23.99
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car tyres cost less than that
pow
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My car tyres cost less than that

WTF are you running on
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its 20 mile round trip...... its not too bad to be honest. Takes about 45 minutes to get there, and did it in 34 minutes on the way back on saturday. Its quicker than I do it in my car lol....Oxford traffic is a fuking nightmare. Takes me an hour some days to get home if the roads are snarled up.

Lost a fair bit of chunk in the last year cycling...good way to keep fit that doesnt involve having to go to a gym. It gets much easier after you have done it 4 or 5 times.

Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
i assume you already had the bike before you started this job and didn't buy it knowing you would have a 20 mile on road commute?
them tyres will make it a hell of a lot easier but i would consider changing for a road bike or at least a hybrid.

Suggestions? Would probably look to spend £400-£800 all in.

I bought this gt for £500 three years ago(should have been £700 it was ex demo) I might invest in another bike at the start of next summer. Im gonna ride to work 2-3 times a week over the winter..but not when the weather gets too appaling...but come the summer I want to cycle nearly every day so a new bike would be an option.
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you mean on a bike in rush hour traffic, it probably is loads quicker than the car, but what about the weather we will soon experience?

And Pow - think Ive got a couple of remoulds on there, usually though its whatever is cheapest, circa £28 a corner I think
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know what you mean on a bike in rush hour traffic, it probably is loads quicker than the car, but what about the weather we will soon experience?

And Pow - think Ive got a couple of remoulds on there, usually though its whatever is cheapest, circa £28 a corner I think

Im not that dedicated that im gonna cycle in all weather Mainly a fair weather cyclist. I can take rain and cold...its gail force wind that i draw the line at and get in the car. Im mainly doing this to keep fit so I dont have to cycle everyday.

There are other benefits too.....like my petrol bill goes down from £80 a week sometimes to around £30. Nice thing is that Oxford council are car haters....so they have made some roads so cycle friendly that they are almost useless for cars

C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what bike is it you are using at the moment?

if you fancy a hybrid i think you can get a scott sportster 09 for about 350 ish atm. they are great bikes.

if you fancy a road bike i'd suggest you look at the specialized allez. the 2010 one is out now and its a lovely looking bike. not really into the road biking scene so i cant vouch for the spec of them.
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-p55-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016318

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-24-2010-road-bike-ec019546
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much better (in say for example % terms) or faster is a road bike than a mountain bike on the road? I had a speedometer thing which told me I got a average of 22km/h on my mountain bike

edit - said mountain is now knackered though, I rode that thing like death, I think ive knackered the teeth on the sprockets cos it wont turn properly and Ive spent more on fixing / replacing bust wheels from general day to day use than Ive spent in maintaining the Astra

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by dannymccann]
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what bike is it you are using at the moment?

if you fancy a hybrid i think you can get a scott sportster 09 for about 350 ish atm. they are great bikes.

if you fancy a road bike i'd suggest you look at the specialized allez. the 2010 one is out now and its a lovely looking bike. not really into the road biking scene so i cant vouch for the spec of them.

Im using a three year old GT -think its an agressor range....cant realy complain too much about it...its solid enough....I was a big lad when I first started riding it and it handled my fat ass pretty well....just think by next year I will probably be wanting something better at covering tarmac miles.

What exactly is the difference between an mtb and a hybrid, or road bike.....im not really into the cycling scene at all
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.evanscycles.com/pdf/buying-guides/choosing-the-right-bike.pdf

have a look at that link mate. it pretty much covers it all.
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-p55-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016318

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-24-2010-road-bike-ec019546

That specialized bike is niceeee...... no suspension I see...Im not against that at all- my gt only has front and I sometimes think the suspension is taking away some of the effort im putting in going up hils...I take it thats why specialized road bikes have no suspension? - ie there is no real need for it on roads and it slows you down?
Adam_B

12th Oct 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
Its 20 mile round trip...... its not too bad to be honest. Takes about 45 minutes to get there, and did it in 34 minutes on the way back on saturday. Its quicker than I do it in my car lol....Oxford traffic is a fuking nightmare. Takes me an hour some days to get home if the roads are snarled up.

Lost a fair bit of chunk in the last year cycling...good way to keep fit that doesnt involve having to go to a gym. It gets much easier after you have done it 4 or 5 times.

Same here, i try to ride to work at weekends and although its only about 4 miles its like a fucking rollercoaster, not too bad after a month or so. I dont bother if its raining mind
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.evanscycles.com/pdf/buying-guides/choosing-the-right-bike.pdf

have a look at that link mate. it pretty much covers it all.

Carl

12th Oct 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want a hybrid, only about 4 miles to work, just never get round to having the available cash, biggest joke is I work for the public health department and some twat opposes the bike to work scheme. No doubt some lard arse old boy who hasn't got a clue.
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're kidding?
Dr Pepper

12th Oct 09 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this looks nice
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/super-six-hi-mod-ultimate-2010-road-bike-ec020251

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day......Tyres for road cycling.....and new road bike suggestions 22 database queries in 0.0167429 seconds