corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV Day: Use of Designs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CV Day: Use of Designs
Dom

User status: Offline
21st Oct 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current CV is in need of a complete overhaul, with it currently looking like this -

(Click to Enlarge)

It certainly got me into a few interviews (Avid at Pinewood Studios, few other record companies) due to the consensus that it was good marketing (and generally random) and making me (*cv) fairly memorable because it stood out from the typical (and boring - as one guy said) format of the black and white cv.

I've seen some of the graphics/art students cvs (where it's probably the done thing instead of having a plain cv) when i was at Uni as some of them were pretty strange - pop up style book, fold out design etc. But I’m wondering what CS's opinions are on the use of designed/graphical CVs (especially in other industry areas from Graphics/Art etc) - Do you think they are acceptable? A good form of marketing? Unprofessional?

And for inspiration, has anyone on here done something similar? Or know of good CV designs?

tar
daymoon
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's quite a good idea to be honest. as other people said to you it's different and stands out.
Neo

21st Oct 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Um...depends what job for to be honest, as a designer or artist of some description, in a role that requires creativity then brilliant.

You bring that to me and ask to become my new first line IT support man....I'll tell you to stop doodling.

Like it though
RichR
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends very much on the industry or job you're looking to go into - I would'nt even look at something like that if someone sent it to me but then it wouldn't suit an engineering job/the marine industry.

I don't mind a bit of formatting but too many colours/fonts/text size and pictures gets too much.

However, for a creative industry job, Graphic design, product design, music industry - it would probably work well.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That'd get binned in engineering for sure. Most agents will reformat your CV in their own style anyway and that'd just make it difficult. I can see how it'd be appealing for a graphics job, etc. tho, quite cool.
Dom

21st Oct 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current one was designed nearly two years ago when applying for placement jobs at uni (audio/music industry) and it was a bit of a "sod it and see" approach, and it paid off to a certain extent. But i'm not sure whether it's a little bit over the mark/line now (now that i'm out of uni) when applying for technical AV/Audio jobs, especially when applying for jobs in academic institutes (uni etc)?

I'm thinking about just getting a well formatted CV put together, but at the same time i think it looks pretty damn boring and it must be mind-numbing sifting through 10/100s of black and white CVs.

[Edited on 21-10-2009 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Totally depends on what you're going for I suppose. Usually it's about experience and work history rather than how pretty your CV is. Saying that, I thought it was a strange that a mate put his photo on his CV and apparently that got him the job. That was in IT too.
Ellis

21st Oct 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was applying for jobs I usually put the company logo in the footer of the page, or watermarked it onto the page itself.
stuartmitchell

21st Oct 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I view upwards of 50 Cv's a day and I just like them well laid out in balck and white myself. Most cdompanies will put them in their own format anyway!

ed

21st Oct 09 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the job you're looking for. In the works of a lecturer at my university who runs his own design consultancy "if you want a boring job, make a boring CV. If you want a creative job, make a creative CV".
JonnyJ

21st Oct 09 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i was applying for a Graphic design job and sent in a black and white cv, typed up in word and printed on A4, it would go into the bin

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV Day: Use of Designs 22 database queries in 0.2638531 seconds