corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Uni day: Computing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Uni day: Computing
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   21st Oct 09 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone done/doing this course?

I am on my first year atm, loving it so far...

Just thinking what sort of jobs people do with this degree?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Oct 09 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did computer science and fell in to teaching it although nowhere near the level that I studied it at.

Most of my friends went in to programming, database design etc.
daymoon
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computer science involves loads of math i am guessing?

so far we done a bit of JavaScript, PHP and Css, HTML, installing windows which was fun i am not sure what i prefer yet, but i think being a system admin or networks guy would be interesting to me.,,,
Paul_J

21st Oct 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did computer science and earn a pretty good wage as a software developer. I earn more than any of my mates I graduated with now, and I'm expecting a rise soon, which will make my uni mates cry. They all did geography, history, media, rural science, etc though... So have got jobs on crap money.

Providing you do software dev on your course you'll be in a good position for a job. I suggest doing a placement year too! Definately helped me walk into a job, I learnt a lot! And I had made enough money to go travelling with after graduating!

Good luck

just read... 1st year you installed windows ?? hardly uni level. I'd expect that for alevel it lol

[Edited on 21-10-2009 by Paul_J]
John

21st Oct 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any computing degree that shows you how to install windows will probably be useless.
daymoon
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We do:
Intro to databases
OS and Networks
Computers tackling crime and fraud
Website develompent
Into to programing
System modeling
Efckitson

21st Oct 09 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol i did Alevel I.T and they showed us how to install windows, hardly rocket science :/
daymoon
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Any computing degree that shows you how to install windows will probably be useless.

We are doing a foundations project as a module. lasts 4 weeks and we get an into to all the modules we are going to do this year... it's easy stuff no to bring everyone to same level as all people have different experience and background.
John

21st Oct 09 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats another thing to back it up then.

A decent degree everyone will have to be at a certain standard to get into uni in the first place.

Somebody with 3 or 4 years experience from the bottom would probably get picked over somebody with a 'computing' degree at that level.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Oct 09 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intro to databases? I guess you learnt the difference between primary and foreign keys? What about aggregate functions, joins etc?
daymoon
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i said we are doing this Foundation project so its all piss taking.... On monday we start proper modules and on monday its Oracle, PHP and system modeling...

The only experience i had with DB before was MS Access...
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Oct 09 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't matter what its in, you can do as much or as little as you want in Access depending on whether you underpin what you're doing with the right theory.
noshua

21st Oct 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm studying Computer Studies. These are the modules this year;

COMP10071: Computer Technology 200910 Full Year
ISYS10211/10231: Personal & Prof Dev 200910 Full Year
ISYS10221: Intro to Sys A & D 200910 Full Year
ITEC10221: Intro to AV Sci & Multi 200910 Full Year
SOFT10081: Intro to Comp Prog 200910 Full Year

Introduction to Systems analysis and Design is by far the most boring so far.

If I stay on the course, I hope to get a decent placement otherwise I know I'll end up in a job with a shit wage doing shit/easy work.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Uni day: Computing 22 database queries in 0.0860121 seconds