corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » When did the government decide we were out of recession?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author When did the government decide we were out of recession?
Tiger

User status: Offline
18th Nov 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And if they didnt, why the hell are they putting VAT back up from January? Unemployment is increasing daily to record levels and I don't see things getting any better?
Marc

18th Nov 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't like British recessions...
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VAT was always only going to be year at 15% then it would go back to 17.5%
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wait, it'll go to 20% you watch

They have to make back their money somehow. Give it a few months..

Has no-one noticed the steady increase in fuel costs already....
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
VAT was always only going to be year at 15% then it would go back to 17.5%

I thought it would be as long as people are struggling to be fair. If things would have been even worse than they are now, would they still have put it up.

They were laughing and joking in parliment, I just watched it on the news. If its such a big joke, why does'nt he pack his bags and fuck off?
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

They have to make back their money somehow. Give it a few months..

Has no-one noticed the steady increase in fuel costs already....

Yeah, best bit is, fuel per barrel has gone from $100 to $80! Work that fucker out!!
DannyB
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, can't wait to see fuel price when it goes up again.
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

I wouldn't be surprised one bit
ed

18th Nov 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The VAT break was only meant for a set period as a set amount of money was put aside for it. I guess it wasn't the most effective plan, otherwise it would have been extended like the scrappage scheme? Or perhaps the scrappage scheme has more benefits over getting people to buy more crap they don't need.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Yep, can't wait to see fuel price when it goes up again.

Whoever supports this sham that we call a government should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not saying any one else is any better or ever will be. I'm just saying that this daylight blatent robbery from the taxpaying people of this country is a disgrace.
ed

18th Nov 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not like they have much of a choice. I'd love to see what a lot of the complainers would do in a situation like this. They can't please everyone and they have impossible decisions to make. I have opinions, but rather them than me.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scrappage scheme is a load of twot, why can't people see that its just a government part ex scheme like all your garages offer. The fact is the cars are overpriced as it is.
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The recession is measured by a set amount of variables, which are applicable world wide, its not just a UK thing. Once spending increases to certain levels, job losses fall, housing market increases, etc. etc. then they all add up to a recovering economy.

And does that 2.5% really matter to you? On a £100 product its an extra £2.50, even on a grand its only £25.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The people that get in power were always going to get in anyway, they've always been members of the Bilderberg Group, through history.
Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
The scrappage scheme is a load of twot, why can't people see that its just a government part ex scheme like all your garages offer. The fact is the cars are overpriced as it is.

Scrappage scheme was a great idea imo, loads of people owned cars that were worth a hell of a lot less than £2000 and it persuaded them to trade up and spend money, money that has stimulated the economy in a big way.
Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
The recession is measured by a set amount of variables, which are applicable world wide, its not just a UK thing. Once spending increases to certain levels, job losses fall, housing market increases, etc. etc. then they all add up to a recovering economy.

And does that 2.5% really matter to you? On a �100 product its an extra �2.50, even on a grand its only �25.

I'm thinking of the bigger picture. If it was that insignificant, they wouldn't have done it.

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by Tiger]
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And does that 2.5% really matter to you? On a £100 product its an extra £2.50, even on a grand its only £25.
I suppose to most people it doesn't really matter. But there will be a few out there that will benefit from it. Can't say I've noticed it or say i'm better off
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The car scrappage scheme was to boost the new car market, i thought? I don't think it's a load of twot as I'm sure you could haggle the price of the cars with the dealer and if you are getting 2k for your £100 banger i think you're doing well.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Scrappage scheme was a great idea imo, loads of people owned cars that were worth a hell of a lot less than �2000 and it persuaded them to trade up and spend money, money that has stimulated the economy in a big way.

Its all part of a bigger scheme, they want the old cars off the road to make up the numbers for a 'greener' britain, the fact is you can pollute the rivers on purpose, say its an accident and get a slapped wrist.

The garage down the road from me offers £2000 for any car you part ex., thats not even in the scrappage scheme. Doesnt mean your getting a good deal does it!
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is insignificant, it was more a marketing thing than anything else.

Stupid people think 'Ah great, VAT is down and I can make a great saving', when if they actually thought and worked it out the savings being made werent really any great amount.

Christ it was so little we didnt even bother changing our prices at all, so we ended up making an extra 2.5% per item.
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a point, i wonder how many businesses just upped their prices by 2.5% You would never know as it would be such a small increase you wouldn't be able to tell

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by corsa_tomtom]
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Scrappage scheme was a great idea imo, loads of people owned cars that were worth a hell of a lot less than �2000 and it persuaded them to trade up and spend money, money that has stimulated the economy in a big way.

Its all part of a bigger scheme, they want the old cars off the road to make up the numbers for a 'greener' britain, the fact is you can pollute the rivers on purpose, say its an accident and get a slapped wrist.

The garage down the road from me offers £2000 for any car you part ex., thats not even in the scrappage scheme. Doesnt mean your getting a good deal does it!

Did they prior to the scrappage scheme though?

And thats one place, this is now nationwide and stimulated the new car market in a big way, saved a load of jobs in car manufacturing, and therefore kept more people off benefits and spending hard earned cash in the economy.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was marketing though, do they REALLY think we're that stupid to go "Fuck they dropped VAT from 17.5 to 15% - i'm gonna be so much better off!"

It probably didnt even affect people on benefits, the people that DO need the money (or the people that are scrounging lazy fuckers.)
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
That's a point, i wonder how many businesses just upped their prices by 2.5%

We left ours as they were when it went down, and we will put the prices up in Jan, so in reality we'll of increased prices by approx 5% without anyone batting an eyelid.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Did they prior to the scrappage scheme though?

And thats one place, this is now nationwide and stimulated the new car market in a big way, saved a load of jobs in car manufacturing, and therefore kept more people off benefits and spending hard earned cash in the economy.

Yeah! All the garages round here do it! Have done as long as I can remember!

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by Tiger]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » When did the government decide we were out of recession? 22 database queries in 0.5631108 seconds