corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » OMG my work wtf re travel

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author OMG my work wtf re travel
SetH

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took an IT Engineer job 6 weeks ago after being made redudant in May. Basically all I could get at the moment, needs must etc.

Anyway they want me to go to London for a contract review on Monday. They only told me yesterday and apparantly I have to pay the taxi, train and tube fares and then claim it back.

Due to a lot of expenses this month (someone crashed into my car), its left me pretty much broke till pay day So theres no way I can fork out circa £100 on Monday to travel down to them.

HR just rang me up giving me crap basically and I said if the company want me to travel down at short notice they should pre-pay the travel costs. Everywhere I have worked in my life this has been the case (apart from when I was contracting), travel and hotel always paid.

Its medium sized business as well and I cant believe they dont have a company credit card etc. Apparantly this HR person pays for peoples tickets on her personal card and claims it back WTF? I told them id never heard of anything so unprofesisonal in all my life and stated that if they want me to come down they have to prepay it.

Where do i stand on this one? I dont think I am being unresonable. I said if they rescheduled for a couple of weeks once ive been paid then it wouldnt be a problem.
mwg

3rd Dec 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure where you stand and dont agree with it but do you not have a credit card you can put it on if it comes to it?
Neo

3rd Dec 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd always be wary about spending your own money on something with the promise it'll get reimbursed, I got stung £1500 (Hotel for a few nights, overtime, mileage etc) when the company i used to work for went into administration.

Wouldn't take the risk if i was you and just tell them your not going to be paying it.
Nismo

3rd Dec 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Catch 22 situation with some companys, some ive worked for pay for it, others Ive had to pay and claim expenses.

Although it was me and being Dec id say I couldnt budget it as Ive spent my money on presents and the only way i can travel is with it pre-paid.
Ojc

3rd Dec 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That pisses me off as well, I had a similar situation when I had to go to Glasgow for work and had to pay for flights, taxi's and food yet I was going up there to learn a system for the companies benefit, this was a week before pay day as well.

The fucking cheek of it.
SetH

3rd Dec 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With xmas and the ridiculous amount ive had to spend on my car this month im skint as hell till pay day.

Her words were "well we are at a stalemate then". They have damn well demanded I go down there, christ!
nathy_87

3rd Dec 09 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a bit harsh SetH, of your company to do that, but then again our company works the same way. I wouldn't know what to suggest tbh.
Cosmo

3rd Dec 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tell them you dont have it - what are they going to do, make you walk down?
James

3rd Dec 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for one of the biggest companies in the world and i'm 99% sure they don't prepay travel expenses.
SetH

3rd Dec 09 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive worked for Swiss Re, Aviva, local government whom have all pre paid and booked hotel and travel via train.

Only things ive had to claim is mileage in own car and meals which is fair enough and expected.
Paul_J

3rd Dec 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we claim all expenses back here...

If I go to london to see a client, I pay out of my pocket for train, lunch, hotel or whatever if needed...

then enter it onto the expenses system and claim it back / charge it to the customer where relevant.
SetH

3rd Dec 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets say for arguements sake joe bloggs take home is £800 a month.

then lets say he spends £400 on rent, £200 on food/bills and £100 on his car.

He gets paid on last day of the month. his work then demand that he travels to london on the 22nd at a cost of £200 and has to pay it himself and claim back next month.

WTF is he supposed to do? Do you see my point?

senior roles which id consider 30k+ its not such an issue but imo the principal is still the same.

ITs very unfair in my eyes.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by SetH]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put all my work related expenses on my credit card and claim it back at the end of the month, I get it with my wages normally.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as willay, thought it was industry standard tbh
mattfiesta

3rd Dec 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
i put all my work related expenses on my credit card and claim it back at the end of the month, I get it with my wages normally.

Are you not being taxed twice though?
Twiggy

3rd Dec 09 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should count your self lucky i have to use my own fuel and food when i have to go and sign on at the dole office!!!!

Discrace if you ask me!
SetH

3rd Dec 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As did I twiggy during the summer
Cosmo

3rd Dec 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattfiesta
quote:
Originally posted by willay

Are you not being taxed twice though?

Shouldnt do if its put through properly as expenses.
micra_pete
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the norm for me, expenses on the card, claim back at the end of the month.
Seany

3rd Dec 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we will always have a train/flight pre paid or a hire car and a fuel card, never had to pay myself. think its terrible that they expect you to tbh. the company should have a credit card for such instances

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by Seany]
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luck of the draw, some companies have company cards so they will pay for your expenses in advance, others (seems like most according to this thread) make you pay then claim it back.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure if they are so desperate for you to go to London they could get a director or someone like that to pay the expenses in advance for you - if you don't have the money they can't force you to go, nor can they give you any official warnings for not complying with their requests.
Boycey

3rd Dec 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't go demanding that they pay you upfront for your expenses just incase they find someone else for the job. It just depends how desperate you are for the job really.
Nath

3rd Dec 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We get given cash and also have a credit card.
Dr Pepper

3rd Dec 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were did it say in your contract you would have to travel with short notice to London and pay for it yourself?....nowhere I suspect.

You wont get sacked for making a perfectly reasonable request.

I had this same problem with my old job - wasnt prepared to put it on my credit card--- In the end I phoned the directer - told him if he wanted me to go there then he could pay for it and they can reinburse him....he got paid more than me- he can take the risk.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » OMG my work wtf re travel 22 database queries in 0.0183630 seconds