corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV References day help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CV References day help
Matt L

User status: Offline
6th Dec 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who do i put?

all i can think of is a current tutor i have and my boss but i dont want to put the boss as i obviously dont want them ringing up for a reference when he doesnt know i've applied for other jobs

or what can i write on to make sure they dont ask him before i have mentioned something.

[Edited on 06-12-2009 by Matt L]
Root

6th Dec 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have any friends or family that have their own business, you can use them ...

not that I do that..mind, it'd explain why I don't have a job. lol
Cosmo

6th Dec 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'References available upon request'

That way they will have to ask you for them and you get a chance to speak to your current boss.
mattk

6th Dec 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put a mate as mine and just told him to expect a phone call and tell them how good I am
AndyKent

6th Dec 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do as Cosmo says. If I was the employer I'd think it a bit odd, but if you explain it in a covering note you'd probably be ok.

You'd have to reference your current employer at some point though as its the only proof you have of gaining experience in the role. Putting friends and families businesses down is unlikely to have anything to do with your line of work so completely irrelevant.
Cosmo

6th Dec 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Could do as Cosmo says. If I was the employer I'd think it a bit odd

We get 100's of CVs sent in to us and a large proportion have that on it - its nothing suspicious as long as they can provide them when asked.

TBH I could give 5 or 6 reference in total but if I was applying for a job Id only want to give the 2 or 3 that were relevant to them, so thats another reason not to just have a standard 2 or 3 on the CV.
AndyKent

6th Dec 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough. I just thought that if I recieved 2 CVs for people with the same experience, and one offered references right away and the other said on request, I'd choose the first.
Cosmo

6th Dec 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never made any difference to us and we've employed some 50 odd people now

If they couldnt provide them, or took time in doing so then that would be different.
Edd

6th Dec 09 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Fair enough. I just thought that if I recieved 2 CVs for people with the same experience, and one offered references right away and the other said on request, I'd choose the first.

why?

you cant contact a reference without permission anyway? because its on the cv isnt permission to contact them they must get your backing first
AndyKent

6th Dec 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purely because one is being open up and up front in providing all the information straight away. The other, for whatever reason, is being secretive. Might be that they don't want their employer to know, might be that they haven't really got any good references but don't want to give that away from the outset.
Cosmo

6th Dec 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really depends how you look at it tbh, as you can read positives in to it as well as negatives.

As said we have employed plenty of people who have done this and turned out to be excellent workers.
Edd

6th Dec 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have excellent references and i dont have them on my CV the reason?

because i want to keep my CV as short as possible
John

6th Dec 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never put references on my CV, there are very few places that wouldn't have a wierd atmosphere after a new company has called for a reference, especially if you don't get the job.

I'm not hiding anything, I'm just not stupid enough to cause myself grief with a current employer.
jaffa

6th Dec 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put on all my cv or job applications please do not contact my current employer until I have been successful in my application. Other referees they can contact no problem.

When I moved to my current job they contacted my employer after I had the job offer just as I requested. Was little awkward as hadn't given in my notice on advise of new employers. Luckily the guy I had put down was sound and didn't tell his boss until he had a had a quiet word with me and allowed me time to give my notice in.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV References day help 22 database queries in 0.1425960 seconds