corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » XE fault codes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XE fault codes
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
9th Dec 09 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car's been running terribly every now and again at low revs - it usually only happens when it's been warmed up so I thought it might have been a temperature sensor but apparently not.

I got fault code 31 when I did the paperclip test this morning. It means the crankshaft sensor is faulty, am I right in saying the first thing to do is fit a new one? It's just that it's an intermittent fault, so I thought maybe I could try cleaning it up first - where abouts on the engine is it?
X16XE.Adam

9th Dec 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clean it up first as they tend to get dirt between the sensor, if its still the same then replace it. Im assuming its down by the crank pulley, not 100% never done one on a corsa.. yet
DaveB

9th Dec 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the car runnign when you did the test?

If not, then you will always get code 31 as the crank sensor doesn't do anything with the ignition on; the engine has to be running.

As I said in your other post; spray carb cleaner around your inlet etc to check for air leaks. Replace the gaskets on the throttle body/powercap. Check the grounds on the fuel rail
alan-g-w

9th Dec 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, engine wasn't running. I'm a tard, I'll go out and check properly.
alan-g-w

9th Dec 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, just went out there just now. Only code coming up is 12, but there's definetely something the matter with it. If I'm needing to drive it tonight what's the most likely things to check? I'll do what you've said DaveB, maybe the ground on the fuel rail's a shout tbh.
DaveB

10th Dec 09 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't think it would be crank sensor tbh; they normally either work, or not.

Fuel rail grounds and air leaks are the most common valver issues.

If you haven't changed the CTS(coolant temperature sensor) then it's worth doing, they're about £9 from Autovaux so don't break the bank. My XE ran shite with an aftermarket CTS on instead of the Bosch part
alan-g-w

10th Dec 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking I'm just going to get new inlet pipework then, I bought a brand new CTS from Vauxhall just the other month. I'm thinking I'll change the air temp sensor as well, because it only misses when it's warm.

The alternator died the other day, that wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Only reason I wouldn't have thought so is because it started doing this while the alternator was still working.
alan-g-w

11th Dec 09 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, bit of a wierd one.

Since the alternator's fucked just now I'm using a charger in the house and taking the battery in with me at night. I was out yesterday and it was running very low, so put my mates' motor on it and charged it a bit with some jump leads. Left it charging for about 20 minutes then set off with it charged a good bit. I just put my sidelights on for the drive up and all was fine... but the road got a bit dark and I had to put the headlights on, which caused it to miss like crazy - to the point that it was almost cutting out. It was draining the battery to the point the airbag light was coming on.

This is the exact same thing that happens when it acts the goat, but it was doing it even before the alternator fucked up. Is there a chance that the alternator could have been on the way out causing it to short out or something causing a masive power drain?

[Edited on 11-12-2009 by alan-g-w]

New Poll