corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cracked Windscreen

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cracked Windscreen
BradG

User status: Offline
   28th Dec 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the past few days its been snowing alot. Every morning i've come out to my car i have had to clear ice off my windscreen.... Anyway, come out to my car yesterday cleared the ice jumped in my car shoved the heaters on to de-mist. Then i have noticed this huge crack straight along the glass in line with the heaters. Just wondering whether or not this needs immidiate attention? Or will i be able to wait it out to comfortably be able to pay the cost for a new one lol!
I have to go 300 miles on the motorway in a couple of days... Do you think it will be ok?

Can i have you opinion
Jonny.N

28th Dec 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id get it looked at asap, its a pretty big crack mate lol
chloe16v

28th Dec 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there were a chip in my windscreen when i bought my car, 2 years later the same chip is still there i always stick my heaters on to de-ice my windscreen
Dom

28th Dec 09 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was a little chip then i'd say it could wait, but that's pretty big and it'll worsen pretty quickly - can't you do it on your insurance? most cover for windscreens...
mattfiesta

28th Dec 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will be sound from my experiance of mates with shit cars, ignore Gavin from autoglass he talks shit.
DannyB
Premium Member

28th Dec 09 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be a different story should you crash though, the windscreen play a big part in the strength of that area.
~willow~

28th Dec 09 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats pretty bad! id get it looked at asap, as said what about insurance?
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 09 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It needs sorting anyway, it won't pass an MOT like that so its not like you can ignore it for too long. Call someone about replacing it. Should only cost £50-75 if you're fully comp.
ed

28th Dec 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windscreen is a structural part of the car. You wouldn't drive about with a massive crack in your suspension.
BradG

28th Dec 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm only third party on insurance. So i don't think i have that kind of cover... All insurance doc's etc are at the end of the 300mile journey i have to do tho....
How much do you like i'd be looking at if i had to get it done myself?
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 09 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a few hundred but you would need to call a few places to get a proper price.
Andrew

28th Dec 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be driving slowely over a speed bump with the front screen like that, never mind 300 miles at 70/80 MPH. My advice is to borrow a car and get your sorted before driving it anywhere.
BradG

28th Dec 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 09 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't even need to borrow a car if you're not driving for a few days, call them tomorrow.
Andrew

28th Dec 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a windscreen replaced on my Corsa when i first got it due to a defect. Came out and sorted it onsite

Depends on Brad's cashflow i surpose.

Good luck mate
ed

28th Dec 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even on some TPFT policies you can get glass cover, you don't need to have the docs to phone up and see - so long as you can answer the difficult questions like what is your name and what is your postcode

Worth a shot because it could save you a few squid...
M2RTY

28th Dec 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cost me 77 quid for a brand new corsa c screen fitted

thats not going thru insurance as i wasnt covered at the time
grez12

28th Dec 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly the same happened to me last wk and every time i got in over 2days i scraped window then heaters on its grew by an average of an inch in the end i rang a few places most were 300+++ which tbh most corsas rnt worth that lol but one place quoted £80fitted but couldnt do till nx day so just rang my insurance and had it dont within a few hrs

My screen was in A1 perfect condition not even a scratch on its let alone a chip just the ice then heaters on gutting at the time lol

wouldnt say urs would take a 300mile trip most i did was 20-30 and always got bigger if i hit a pot hole ect
BradG

28th Dec 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, I'll get onto the insurance company tomorrow... If i'm not covered, I'll have to speak to my dad....
pow
Premium Member

29th Dec 09 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven for weeks with a crack like that in one of my Ibiza screens lol
Nick-S

29th Dec 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a massive crack in my windscreen in the same place. its bin there for just over a week now, ill just change it when i get time. i dont realy do alot of miles though
BradG

29th Dec 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, judging by everyones comments n the fact i got to do a 300mile drive on the motorway... I think its going to need immidiate attention....
I just keep thinkin what if a stone flicks up and hits my windscreen going 70-80mph

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cracked Windscreen 22 database queries in 0.0141721 seconds