corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » High milage Golfs (1.8 20v)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High milage Golfs (1.8 20v)
Mobby

User status: Offline
6th Jan 10 at 02:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at Golfs again and im wondering if a high miler 1.8T golf should be worth a gamble with 130 thousand miles?

Really trying to get a bargain golf but im unsure whether to trust the petrols with high miles, if it was a derv i wouldn't be worried.

Opinions people?
davieslim

6th Jan 10 at 03:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been looking at the golfs myself theres a shit load of them and various states of tuning but the wee polo gti has caught my eye so that might be my next purchase
Twiggy

6th Jan 10 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its business as usual, History history history and should be ok!
jmacd

6th Jan 10 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There arent too many left with low mileage.Never had any problems with mine. You would be better asking on uk-mkivs or edition38
x14xe sport

6th Jan 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

friend had a audi a3 1.8t 150bhp version, had 170k on and he bought it had no history but still pulled strong and used no oil or water etc
taylorboosh

6th Jan 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jmacd
There arent too many left with low mileage.Never had any problems with mine. You would be better asking on uk-mkivs or edition38

mine had 59k still went wrong pretty often
StueyBoy1989

6th Jan 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it may have history an been well looked after, but with that mileage you going to get small things goin wrong like, petrol flap motors, window regulators, sensors etc. They may not cost much to fix but over a period of time it will add up.

iv personally got a mk4 golf gt tdi 130 and it suits me perfectly, had a few problems but i know an audi tech who charges reasonable rates compared to garages.
antnee

6th Jan 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As others have said, the 1.8t is fine with high milage if serviced often
jmacd

6th Jan 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
Originally posted by jmacd

mine had 59k still went wrong pretty often

What issues did you have.I was lucky to find one with 33k. Didnt have any probs but was dissapoinnted by the 1.8t
Mobby

6th Jan 10 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv seen a 2000 1.8t for 2500 with 130k on the clock no service history in the add in the paper, diamond cut alloys wheels unsure if they are fake or not, remapped baileys dump valve. If I got it for 2300 would it be well worth it ?
RS6

7th Jan 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

130k with no FSH? run away fast!
Brett
Premium Member

7th Jan 10 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it drives ok, looks ok and doesn't sound like a tank then 130k ain't too bad without FULL service history, as long as they could tell you when cambelt was last changed. Everything else you can check yourself easily.
whitter45

7th Jan 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

persoanlly i would stay away from high mileage VAGS - the mechanicals are fine providing they have been serviced - but awful electrics on them I feel
Andyrs1800

7th Jan 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is nearly on 110.000 and you wouldnt know unless i told you.
taylorboosh

8th Jan 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mobby
Iv seen a 2000 1.8t for 2500 with 130k on the clock no service history in the add in the paper, diamond cut alloys wheels unsure if they are fake or not, remapped baileys dump valve. If I got it for 2300 would it be well worth it ?

well if its got a dump valve it will be reaking havoc as they need recirc so that needs changing, and by diamond cut wheels im asuming you mean mk5 gti 1s? if so they are a diff stud pattern so fake or has pcd adaptors.

also the problems i had with mine where, n75f valve, altenator went, exhaust snapped, split hoses, maf.... probs more but cant think.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, if it's a fully atmospheric then the car won't be running properly. If it's a Forge Split-R however then it is part atmosphere and part recirc so that'd be fine, although they sound like a mouse farting. Sold mine after a day.
whitter45

8th Jan 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fit a recirc dump valve in a reverse configuration if you want an extra sound

Andyrs1800

8th Jan 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diamond cut alloys. They the ones that come standard on Black 5 door Golfs?

2nd image in a goolge search of 'Audi A8 Alloys' i fookin hate em
taylorboosh

8th Jan 10 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh they sound better the correct way and i asked mr forge and he said they are meant to go in forwards only.....

also forge 007p as a replacement
taylorboosh

8th Jan 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they look wank, anni bbs or lms is where its at tbh
Fro

8th Jan 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Agreed, if it's a fully atmospheric then the car won't be running properly. If it's a Forge Split-R however then it is part atmosphere and part recirc so that'd be fine, although they sound like a mouse farting. Sold mine after a day.

If it's an AGU engine code it should run ok, any others and as you say it will run like shite.

If it drives ok and doesn't sound like a bag of spanners it will generally be ok. Just check it over as much as possible and make sure there is no smoke from the turbo etc.
Fad

8th Jan 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate had a 240k 1.8t Passat....never serviced it or anything and it only died last month as it needed a clutch so he binnned it
Andyrs1800

8th Jan 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

007p all the way. dont waste time with the split-r shite. The 007p gives a dump sound as long as you have an induction kit if thats what your after.

As for wheels. Just do it proper. if you want reps go for the RS4 reps (S-line ones not the new ones) as they look factory as long as they have the dished face. RS6's look ok to when the car is lowered,
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd take someone with vagcom along and do a scan on it to check it out anyway. Not all faults are apparent from experience.
taylorboosh

8th Jan 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could just download vagcom and get a lead of ebay tbh, thats what i did

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » High milage Golfs (1.8 20v) 22 database queries in 0.0790410 seconds