corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » re-smoothing a bumper numberplate recess..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author re-smoothing a bumper numberplate recess..
Minty_Fresh

User status: Offline
7th Jan 10 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically what would be best if a numberplate recess has been smoothed (with fibre glass and filler) and its started to crack, obviously ideally it would be best to have it plastic welded but its going to be to late for that now..

maybe its cracked because it hasnt been primed properly, because isnt the proper plastic primer (bodyshop stuff) is thick plastic like so its rubber like so doesnt crack?

or has anyone else got an ideal?

thanks

[Edited on 07-01-2010 by mk4_boy]
Ste
Premium Member

7th Jan 10 at 03:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=399125

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Minty_Fresh

7th Jan 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that just says it would ideally need to be plastic welded which i already know but its already smooth so is there any tips etc to stop it from cracking again without having to chop the middle out and re doing it?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

7th Jan 10 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a light skim of filler might do it
jo1945

8th Jan 10 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
a light skim of filler might do it

Thats what I'd suggest, but you might have the same problem after a while. Fibreglass doesn't really work on plastic bumpers unfortunately
You can get bumper repair filler from halfords, it's supposed to be more flexible then normal body filler so that might be better for sorting the cracks.
scottyp1989

8th Jan 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i would just start again with it you could skim an paint it again for it to crack in a week, do it properly do it once

New Poll