corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snow Leave

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snow Leave
mwg

User status: Offline
7th Jan 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen them running a story about this on the news.

What happens at your place of work if you dont go cos of the snow?

I think I'm meant to take it as leave which I can kind of understand as its not the companies fault but at the same time its not my fault either if I cant make it in and I sure as hell dont want to use up all my holidays for snow days. So I have taken half of it as leave and blagged the rest, see if anything gets said to me about it.

Could always just say your sick, another way around it.
Phi

7th Jan 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparenlty if you have made the effort to get to your workplace then they should pay you???? or somthing??
Dan.H

7th Jan 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can walk to work so i have to go in no excuses lol
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no offence mwg, but there is no reason for you not to be able to get to work.
mwg

7th Jan 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

Why? I live up a hill in Grange, if I lived in Kendal I'd walk but I dont so was a few days before Xmas I couldn't get in.
Paul_J

7th Jan 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can technically work from home - so i have been working the last few days and so will still get paid...

the downside is I technically couldn't chill out / relax / go build snow men like everyone else on facebook.

... Although I could do with going into work as my motivation at home is really lacking at the moment. I'm gonna try to go in tommorrow.
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

Why? I live up a hill in Grange, if I lived in Kendal I'd walk but I dont so was a few days before Xmas I couldn't get in.

i know. its not bad at all round there.
Cosmo

7th Jan 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only way you're going to get paid for it is if the management shut down the place. If its open then you're expected to be there, if you're not then they dont have to pay you.

We made the decision not to open one of the shops yesterday as felt it was too dangerous for the managers to get there to open up, because of that we had to tell the rest of the staff not to come in. Now most of these probably would of cried off anyway, but because we didnt open up and give them that option we have to pay them. Im sure there would be some legal way around this if we really wanted, but thats the general rule.

That shop was open today however, and two decided they couldnt make it in. So we told them they had to take it as holiday, which suits us as the shop was empty due to the weather and will prevent them taking a holiday when its busy now.
Huwsi

7th Jan 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was sent home on Wednesday due to having a policy regarding working with no "supervisors".

I had to either take it out my flexi or out of my annual leave. What was worse was I live a mile from my work and was happy enough to stay and walk home if needed

[Edited on 07-01-2010 by Huwsi]
Cosmo

7th Jan 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Huwsi
I was sent home on wednesday due to having a policy regarding working with no "supervisers".

I had to either take it out my flexi or out of my annual leave. What was worse was I live a mile from my work and was happy enough to stay and walk home if needed

I dont think they can do that legally - although you may have something in your contract about the no supervisors part.
mwg

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

i know. its not bad at all round there.

ok

Andrew

I've worked from home a couple of days and been onsite the other 2.

We are putting it to the big boss that we should be able to work a couple of days from home per week as it's less distracting and for me saves me 2.5 hrs per day travelling. If i put the costs to him, around £100 a month saved in fuel he'll give it a try

[Edited on 07-01-2010 by Andrew]
Cosmo

7th Jan 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're a pussy MWG, thats nothing.

Nic has added ice truck driver to his CV now as he is that hardcore.
Ojc

7th Jan 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difficult one really.

Some people take the piss completely but then everyones situation is different.

People near me have got into work, but then they live at the bottom of the hill so don't have to worry about getting back up it on the way home.
Phi

7th Jan 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i got to my work eventually this morning, but they were shutting down, so technically i will fight it and say we should be paid - is there some sort of law?
tommrow im going in for few hours,
thing is we have a jeep we can get through this snow fine, so i can get to work so its not fair on the people who can get there and make there way there to then get told they closing couple of hours later and then not get paid for full day.. snow really does suck
mwg

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
The only way you're going to get paid for it is if the management shut down the place. If its open then you're expected to be there, if you're not then they dont have to pay you.

Oh yeah I understand that from an employers point of view. I'd be the same if I was the boss. The only reason a few people I work with could get in to work is that they live within walking distance of work. 2 of the bosses couldn't make it so to be honest they haven't kicked up a fuss about it.

From an employee point of view you just dont want to be using your holiday up on things like this if possible.
Phi

my work is down an industrial estate so its jsut snow and ice, not grit, so its pretty bad, but i can get there.....
Paul_J

7th Jan 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what winds me up ollie, is that there'll be people who walk into work (work is about 20+ miles away for me), that live just round the corner.

They'll then moan 'well the roads are clear, why arn't you in'

Yes... roads are clear for you... but for me i've gotta get off my drive, down the ungritted roads... drive there... then go down more ungritted roads to get in...

then risk it all on the return. As it is I can't seem to reverse my car out of the court.
mwg

7th Jan 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You're a pussy MWG, thats nothing.

Nic has added ice truck driver to his CV now as he is that hardcore.

I couldn't even move my car from where it was parked in that picture, I did try to so its not like I was taking the piss

I even walked to the bus stop one day that I couldn't get out, caught the bus through to the town I work then had to walk maybe a couple of miles or so from the drop off to work. Did my days work then walked back to bus stop to find they cancelled all the bus services cos of the snow

[Edited on 07-01-2010 by mwg]
mwg

7th Jan 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
what winds me up ollie, is that there'll be people who walk into work (work is about 20+ miles away for me), that live just round the corner.

They'll then moan 'well the roads are clear, why arn't you in'

Yes... roads are clear for you... but for me i've gotta get off my drive, down the ungritted roads... drive there... then go down more ungritted roads to get in...

then risk it all on the return. As it is I can't seem to reverse my car out of the court.

this is it. its fine once you get to the main roads, getting off your drive is half the task for most people then along the side roads.
Huwsi

7th Jan 10 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I was sent home on wednesday due to having a policy regarding working with no "supervisers".

I dont think they can do that legally - although you may have something in your contract about the no supervisors part.

What it is with our place is that all of us are working in enviroment where there is sensitive information (due to access to millions of patient files) and other confidential stuff so it's to do with that i think.

I don't remember seeing anything in my contract but from a quick look of our policy on adverse weather;

quote:

PAYMENT

It is preferable that staff make every effort to attend work . In relation to time lost, staff have the option either to make the hours up at a later date using flexi or time in lieu, take annual leave or unpaid leave.

NOTES

1. Staff electing to reside in remote areas should consider retaining annual leave to use when weather conditions prevent their attendance at work.
2. Those staff who are unable to return home because of the emergency situation will be provided with whatever accommodation can be made available without charge. All meals taken will be charged at the appropriate rate.

it seems they've thought of everything

[Edited on 07-01-2010 by Huwsi]
Twiggy

7th Jan 10 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i worked at the call centre i trecked the 35 miles in the snow and was just round the corner when i got the call that it was shut, best bit was do i want it as holiday or banked hours? Was fuuuuuuuumin!
Cosmo

7th Jan 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lazy.
Phi

7th Jan 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

35 miles, are you kidding
Cosmo

7th Jan 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

What it is with our place is that all of us are working in an enviroment (due to access to millions of patient files) and other confidential stuff so it's to do with that i think.

I don't remember seeing anything in my contract but from a quick look of our policy on adverse weather;

quote:

2.PAYMENT

2.1 It is preferable that staff make every effort to attend work . In relation to time lost, staff have the option either to make the hours up at a later date using flexi or time in lieu, take annual leave or unpaid leave.

NOTES

1. Staff electing to reside in remote areas should consider retaining annual leave to use when weather conditions prevent their attendance at work.
2. Those staff who are unable to return home because of the emergency situation will be provided with whatever accommodation can be made available without charge. All meals taken will be charged at the appropriate rate.

it seems they've thought of everything

None of that applies to this case though, as you actually made it to work and they sent you home.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snow Leave 22 database queries in 0.0123439 seconds