corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spring bolts???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spring bolts???
jibjob

User status: Offline
18th Jan 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can someone please explain to me what they are for on the exhaust! I know that they are there to hold the 2 pieces together but i dont get why there isnt just two normal bolts as they wont flex anyway. The threads are naffed on my down pipe where it joins the CAT so the original bolts wont stay in anymore and cant be tightened up enough to create a good seal. Can i just put normal bolts with no springs through the holes and tighten them up? Any help would be great!
johnhara1

18th Jan 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On mine, i removed the old bolts on springs, drilled bigger holes and put normal bolts in.

I didn't have any problems, i assumed the springs were there to help the bolts come out considering they will be baked on.
jibjob

18th Jan 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spot on cheers mate. I had normal bolts but they were slightly too short so i had to cut a coil or two off the springs but if i dont need them they can be binned!
alan-g-w

19th Jan 10 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The spring bolts are there because the exhaust needs to move freely from the engine and car. The reason why exhausts are done with rubber hangers is because of this as well. If you replace the sprung bolts with normal bolts you're eleiminating the flex needed (think of it like suspension for the exhaust) and risk breaking the manifold flange off.
davieslim

19th Jan 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its basically what alan said, as the exhaust has no real flexi the joint between the down pipe and cat acts as a flexi so the springs give the pressure but not enough to stop the exhaust having some play to stop it being damaged
daine
Premium Member

19th Jan 10 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well said alan-g-w, it`s called a `freedom-of-movement-joint`and is fittered to all transverse engined cars
jibjob

20th Jan 10 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problem is the threads appear to be nackered in the downpipe flange as the original bolts could be moved up and down by hand even though they were tight. Best thing to do now then? Get some longer bolts and put a nut on the other side but keep the springs?
alan-g-w

21st Jan 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New nuts and bolts should be fine mate, just replace the fucked ones.

New Poll