corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My golf is due for a service.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My golf is due for a service.
ryzer

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, my golf is due for its service, 86k it is on now,
I think according to the schedule it should be a 'major' service, but i have done a bit of research and im not going for one, as to pay an extra £100+ to have things like the door hinges greased is retarded. so a interim service is the key i reckon.

Coolant is supposed to be fully flushed at 100k, so that just needs topping up.
I have a timing chain so that doesnt need to be done either.

So basically im paying £150 quid approx for an oil and filter change, and a coolant top up , and a check of the brakes, tyres, and other crap they say they are checking.

My point is, is it actually worth it, im completely confident in doing my own oil and filter change, basically i'm doing it for the divvy stamp to have when I sell it on, just seems a waste of money.

So is service history really that important?
scoob
Premium Member

22nd Jan 10 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id just keep the receipts for the parts you have used
Minty_Fresh

22nd Jan 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having it done at a garage or at vw?

im the same though, seems silly to pay that much when you could easily do it yourself, but in the past ive serviced my own cars and got a mate who works at a garage stamp the book, i would no doubt trust myself over someone else to service my car..
AndyCorsaSport

22nd Jan 10 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it yourself, my old car was on 108k with no history what so ever, still sold on easy enough.
Leighton

22nd Jan 10 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just sold my astra that only had one stamp on it, 60K miles got more than the book price for it as well
ryzer

22nd Jan 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i might just do that, was planning at a local garage but im only doing it for the stamp in the book, it has full service history, but the car is a 2001 Y now so shes getting on a bit.

been reading up, apparrently changing the coolant completely on these is very very easy, it has a coolant drain tap! how awesome is that! no fiddling round taking hoses off.

soo might have to get the spanners out soon, we will see.
Root

22nd Jan 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd keep the reciepts for the parts and DIY
Minty_Fresh

22nd Jan 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
yeah i might just do that, was planning at a local garage but im only doing it for the stamp in the book, it has full service history, but the car is a 2001 Y now so shes getting on a bit.

if it has full service history up till now (and you dont know anyone that could stamp the book if you did the service) i think i would get a garage to do it tbh..

Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never serviced my golf, I just reset the computer thingy every 10k & topped up the oil when it told me to.
AndyKent

22nd Jan 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a near 10 year old car I wouldn't be taking it to a dealer.

The difference in price you would get between one will full VW service history and one without won't be a lot. One service means you'll have saved £100, two and its far more than the history is worth imo.
ryzer

22nd Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so garage it is. hmmm i think i should resolve this with a Harry Hill type fight.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My golf is due for a service. 22 database queries in 0.1552300 seconds