corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorbikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorbikes
Simon

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend recently passed her driving test and her parents gave her their old Ford Focus so we now have that and my corsa. Living in Oxford she walks to work, I cycle, town is easier to get into by bus so our car usage isnt too much and so I'm not sure its really worth us having both cars. However I don't really want to be without a form of transport because there are times such as this week where she is on holiday with her sister and mum and the car is over at her parents, so I'd be a bit stuck if I needed to go somewhere further.

I may have been watching too much American Chopper but I was thinking about the possibility of replacing my car with a bike, I don't really know anything about bikes but I assume that the running and everything is cheaper than that of a car, is that right? If so what's the process, of tests - I understand there is a couple of different ones, engine size limitations etc. What's a good bike to start with, what sort of cost are you looking at for good condition bike and all the gear?

Cheers!
K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all depends on your age/price limit/your experience etc.

for someone with no experience i would probably recommend a cbr125 or something of similar size?

my first road bike was a honda vfr400,that was only because i was limited to the power of bike i could get,but i had experience of motocross since i was 5. i currently own a 2009 honda cbr600rr

as for the clothing etc, its all upto yourself, again with price limit/and what you are going to be using your bike for? if its just commuting everyday, i dont see the point gettin leathers,get some goretex trousers etc. but i would recommend going into one of your local motorbike places and trying on equipment, because every brand fits differently!!
radicalry00

23rd Jan 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the new motorcycle test about 6 months ago. The best thing I ever did IMO .

Firstly you've got to have a valid CBT and pass your theory test (your car one doesn't count, you still need to do another for the bike even though it's an almost identical set of questions!) to be able to do the practical tests. The practical test consists of two parts. Module 1 which must be passed first and consists of a series of specified manoeuvres that are done off road in a DVLA place. It's mainly things like hazard avoidance, slowly moving round cones and emergency stop etc. Module 2 consists of the eyesight test, some safety questions and the road riding part of the test. It's not cheap though: CBT is £100, theory test is £30, then a 3 day intensive course is about £350. (Or more if you decide to do Direct Access)

Here is where it get's a bit complicated with the BHP restrictions... If you're over 21 then you can do a Direct Access course which means that once you pass your test you can ride any machine and you're unlimited to what power the bike's putting out. If you're under 21 or decide that DAS is not for you, then you are restricted to a 33BHP bike for 2 years once you pass.

I'm really glad I passed my test, it's so much more fun and cheaper than a car to run. (Will do about 60mpg even when I get a bit carried away with the throttle) It's much more convenient for me than a car too because I'm currently at uni in Leeds and can park my bike right outside the lecture theatres . Traffic is also no problem on a bike.

And I thought this would be a good opportunity for a bit of picture-whoring. Me and my SV setting off to work this morning:

Good luck if you decide to do your test, I don't think you'd regret it.
DizzyRebel

23rd Jan 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are over 21 then the best route to go is DAS. the test is a 3/4 day course and costs around £500. DAS allows you to jump on any motorcycle without being restricted to 33bhp for 2 years like you would if you did the mod1 and mod2 phase.

A decent helmet starts at around £200, Gloves about £80, Boots about £80 and leathers about £300.

Best novice bike money can buy is a CBR600F, quick but refined, comfy yet sporty and its a honda so does the miles without fuss. £3000 should buy you a good example.

Set aside £4000-£5000 for the test, gear, bike and insurance and you would easily do it.

Bikes are cheaper to run and insure but arent that cheap to maintain.
radicalry00

23rd Jan 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S, K3's post just reminded me. The gear can be quite expensive but you can also pick up some bargains. Have a look in Hein Gericke's if there's one near you and see what sort of things you like and try things on for size. Then have a look on ebay for specific things in your size and see if you can get 'em cheaper.

BTW, gorgeous bike K3, that's what I want next. Awesome

[Edited on 23-01-2010 by radicalry00]
K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

A decent helmet starts at around £200, Gloves about £80, Boots about £80 and leathers about £300.

dont agree.

i have 2 helmets, one which is an extremly good AGV one which only cost £160 and got 10% discount cause they didnt have a box.

got 2 pairs of glove, one cost £30, my alpinestars cost £75

boots can be expensive,also got two pairs both alpinestars,1 pair were £100, other ones were £260

3 different sets of leathers, one which was 100 for jacket 100 for trousers, one 1 piece which cost 580, and a repsol honda jackt which cost 250.

it doesnt need to be expensive!!!
K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by radicalry00

BTW, gorgeous bike K3, that's what I want next. Awesome

[Edited on 23-01-2010 by radicalry00]

cheers pal, watch out for a few mods in the next couple months, got rolling road and mapping in june
Simon

23rd Jan 10 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, thats the sort of info I need. I'm 25 in Feb, parents are always bugging me for something from them for that so may suggest some lessons. How much is the Direct Access?
radicalry00

23rd Jan 10 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends really on the riding school but usually around £500.
K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother just done his last year, £380.

DizzyRebel

23rd Jan 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
quote:

dont agree.

i have 2 helmets, one which is an extremly good AGV one which only cost £160 and got 10% discount cause they didnt have a box.

got 2 pairs of glove, one cost £30, my alpinestars cost £75

boots can be expensive,also got two pairs both alpinestars,1 pair were £100, other ones were £260

3 different sets of leathers, one which was 100 for jacket 100 for trousers, one 1 piece which cost 580, and a repsol honda jackt which cost 250.

it doesnt need to be expensive!!!

You cant put a price on your head, so buy the best helmet you can afford. I only buy arai's now as id rather spend £400 on a helmet than skimp and end up dead or vegetated for the rest of my life. £200 is benchmark.

Wish all due respect, ive been in the bike trade for over 5 years now, i know how much things cost and instead of telling people they can do it on a shoestring budget. you give them the mid range prices of everything so that a reaslistic budget is given, rather than a stupidly low one where people are using £50 kbc lids, £25 shit gloves, £30 shit boots and cheap ass leathers for £150 that rip if you catch them on a table corner!
Simon

23rd Jan 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK cool, but you still have to have/do the CBT before doing Direct Access?
DizzyRebel

23rd Jan 10 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

The DAS will incorporate a CBT if you dont already have it. With a CBT its about £500
K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your direct acces will include you cbt bud

i dont see how only buyin arais is good though. as it all depends on the contours of your face when it comes to helmets.

K3 VMU

23rd Jan 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

The DAS will incorporate a CBT if you dont already have it. With a CBT its about £500

all depends on expeirience, my brother had never been on a road bike, been on a few offroad, cost him 380 for everything , that was in april/may, he done the new test anyway, and passed everything first time.
DizzyRebel

23rd Jan 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i dont see how only buyin arais is good though. as it all depends on the contours of your face when it comes to helmets.

Arai test their helmets in a different way to other manufacturers. to get a BS approval the lids have to survive a drop from a certain height and thats it. Arai test their lids with multiple impacts, spike impaler, different stress zones etc.

Nakano crashed at 200+mph, his head hit the deck at 200mph and the only reason he survived was because his lid was so good. If thats not a good enough reason to buy arai i dont know what is!

radicalry00

23rd Jan 10 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Arai test their lids with multiple impacts, spike impaler, different stress zones etc.

So do various other helmet manufacturers.
ianofbhills

23rd Jan 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Arai test their helmets in a different way to other manufacturers. to get a BS approval the lids have to survive a drop from a certain height and thats it. Arai test their lids with multiple impacts, spike impaler, different stress zones etc.

K3 has got a point though hasnt he an improperly fitted £400 arai helmet is not going to protect you half as well as a cheaper but still kite marked none arai helmet that actually fits you better no matter how well arai have tested their helmets.

Its all about how well the helmet fits and how comfortable it is whilst wearing. Personally i cant get away with arais they just dont fit my shape of head. I find shoei to be a much better fit and of equal construction and price.

I agree its wise to spend a fair amount on a helmet as you only get one head to protect but to say all other helmets are inferior to arai's is a bit narrow minded.

[Edited on 23-01-2010 by ianofbhills]
dannymccann

23rd Jan 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either way, its a relatively expensive outlay at the start, especially if you arent going to like it, so do think carefully.
lostboy
Banned

24th Jan 10 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
2009 honda cbr600rr

One of my faveourite bikes, and definitely a bike I want to own, just need my bike license
Bonney

24th Jan 10 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by radicalry00

Is that a HJC Samourai helmet. Been looking at these myself.

I did my test just before it all changed and its probably the best thing i have done. Heres my bike

As for the running costs, The tax is dirt cheap (Just under £50 a year for mine), The insurance is probably cheaper than a car for you, They have better MPG and can put a huge smile on your face when the weather is right.

lostboy
Banned

24th Jan 10 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I NEED a motorbike
Cosmo

24th Jan 10 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking in to it for ages now, but come Monday Im going to book a course to do my full test.

Just got to think of a way to explain to my Mum Im doing it, always said she'd disinherit me if I did as two of her Uncles were killed on them.
Neil

24th Jan 10 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did my CBT and had a couple of 125's for a while. Did my full test in October. This is my current bike:

Insurance is usually a fair bit for the first year so probably best to get something not too mental. Clothes / helmet etc is quite a big expense, but essential.

Tax and petrol are much cheaper than cars and bikes are much more fun too.
dannymccann

24th Jan 10 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure on the insurance front, my ZXR400 (new rider, as the name suggests 400cc) was £200 TPFT, but it is kept in a brick garage overnight. Im 21, but ive been driving cars for 4 years (I have 4NCB but when I tried it with and without my car experience the price didnt change). But it is an OLD bike, 1989

On the other hand my RS125 was £300 TPFT, go figure

The blue one I swapped my RS125 for, then sold on

The green one is the one I have in the garage at the moment.

I only have a 400cc to get used to a bigger bike (the power and the weight of the thing, it weighs the same as a modern 600/650) and also because its cheaper to insure + I am still restricted to 33bhp until another year or so (I dont think this is 33bhp though )

And yea Cosmo, my mum wasnt impressed either, and nor was my fiancee when she came home from work one day and I showed her the pass certificate

[Edited on 24-01-2010 by dannymccann]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorbikes 22 database queries in 0.3830941 seconds