corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » tax codes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tax codes
Phi

User status: Offline
25th Jan 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont understand all that tax stuff,
i got the letter through post today regarding the tax code for 2010-2011 and its a emergancy tax number! wtf?!! whhyy ???
does anyone understand this sort of thing?
ive had a glance at the hm website but im not quite clear, and it does says if you call the helpline that youneed to call back after the 31st jan if you have a query about this.

im confused - i dont want less money every money
Cosmo

25th Jan 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the code, 645L?
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you start a new job this tax year?
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Whats the code, 645L?
If its emergency tax it will be BR i think

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by corsa_tomtom]
Cosmo

25th Jan 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
quote:
Whats the code, 645L?

We've had some where they've been given that standard 645L code as it before now though.
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they have given me BR code gawd

no i have been at my job for over 2 years.. im just trying to remember if it was last year or year before i went form monthly to weekly then weekly back to monthly, would that be why? cause they gave me back my p45 and redid it that way....
see i dont understand this

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by Corsa_phi]
Cosmo

25th Jan 10 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changing payment frequency shouldnt change it.

edit - oh, it sounds like theyve done something if it involved submitting your P45.

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by Cosmo]
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh okay, welli iwll take my letter into work tommrow and speak to accounts manager, because i am not being skint !!! i worked at my last job for over a year on emrgancy tax code because they were useless! but i did get a nice tax rebate!
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Whats the code, 645L?

We've had some where they've been given that standard 645L code as it before now though.
That's not emergency tax, thats just standard issue iirc but not sure on that. That way they are still getting personal allowance instead of being taxed fully at 20% iirc.

Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Changing payment frequency shouldnt change it.

edit - oh, it sounds like theyve done something if it involved submitting your P45.

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by Cosmo]

thats fucked up my money though soooo anoying!
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Whats the code, 645L?

That's not emergency tax, thats just standard issue iirc but not sure on that. That way they are still getting personal allowance instead of being taxed fully at 20% iirc.

thats why i dont get it!, i dont understand it all
Cosmo

25th Jan 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

No, it is the standard code, I know that. What I was saying is we've had some put on the standard code by the tax office as an emergency (but tbh this is probably due to the fact they should of been on another type of code for various reasons and were incorrectly put on 645L).
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omg 20% tax, thats crap right
meh
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could be on BR as your employer doesn't have your P45 from previous job but if its 2 years ago then they should? Speak to your payroll and HMRC. It will get sorted eventually and you'll get a rebate but it will take a while if you don't chase them up a few times.
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well as i said before i think it has somthing to do with changing my pay from weekly to monthly - i will speak to them tommrow - i have no idea wtf is going on, but i knwo i will be skint now for months! gawd!

Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_phi
meh
20% is for earners up to £37,000 (i can't remember the exact figure. Earn £37,000+ PA then it is 40%
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ihave a p45 from wern they changed it back from weekly to monthly 18 months ago i think it was, maybe just a year! i need to go through my file i think,
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
meh
20% is for earners up to £37,000 (i can't remember the exact figure. Earn £37,000+ PA then it is 40%

no im not lucky enough to earn over that much im afraid - id have the porsche if i did
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well as i said before i think it has somthing to do with changing my pay from weekly to monthly - i will speak to them tommrow - i have no idea wtf is going on, but i knwo i will be skint now for months! gawd!

You won't be skint. You are going to pay a bit more (not loads more) than you usually do a month. Anyway the new tax year isn't for another 2 months so you could get it sorted before then
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

No, it is the standard code, I know that. What I was saying is we've had some put on the standard code by the tax office as an emergency (but tbh this is probably due to the fact they should of been on another type of code for various reasons and were incorrectly put on 645L).
Oh i thought it was strange for you to think that
Phi

25th Jan 10 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hope so! it happend in my last job, i chased them for over a year to sort it out, the only reson i knew it was wrong, whwne soemone else had checked my payslip for me and she gave me the number directly to ring them, was sorted in 4 weeks! i had massive tax rebate though, but i was bloody short on money! well annoying!
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're basically getting taxed 20% on all your earnings instead of getting your personal allowance of £6,400 and something or whatever it is for 10/11. Speak to your payroll and call HMRC and get them to sort it out.

Cosmo

25th Jan 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You could be on BR as your employer doesn't have your P45 from previous job but if its 2 years ago then they should? Speak to your payroll and HMRC. It will get sorted eventually and you'll get a rebate but it will take a while if you don't chase them up a few times.

Having a P45 wont make a difference after a new year began, as would be no previous values. However if they issued P45s when they changed payment frequency (why?) then they could of fucked up with that and the tax office has put you on the emergency due to it.
Tommy L

25th Jan 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you might be put on an emergency tax code:

You might get an emergency tax code if:
you've started a new job and haven't got a P45 from your previous employer for the same tax year
you've started your first job since the start of the tax year and haven't been receiving any taxable state benefits or a state or company pension
you've started a new job but you've had another job or other jobs or received taxable state benefits during the year
you've started a new job and were previously self-employed
there's been a change in your tax code during the year because, for example, you've started to get company benefits or the State Pension

Taken straight from the HMRC website. Tbh i don't know loads about payroll only a bit.
Matt L

25th Jan 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Having a P45 wont make a difference after a new year began, as would be no previous values. However if they issued P45s when they changed payment frequency (why?) then they could of fucked up with that and the tax office has put you on the emergency due to it.

im going with that, god knows why they gave you a p45 when they changed frequency, but probably just a fuck up somewhere where they either havent sent in the random p45 they gave you or its got lost at the revenue and now they assume you have two jobs giving you the tax code br otherwise if its just the normal tax code (which is still sometimes called the 'emergency tax code' which currently is 647l (will change for next year though) then you dont need to worry about it.

by the sounds of it though its the first half of what i put in which case a call to the revenue will clear it all up (although apparently if your calling about tax codes then you have to wait until after the 31st jan for some reason or well thats what their phone lines said today when we tried to call). revenue have had a few fuckups with sending the wrong stuff out this year

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by Matt L]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » tax codes 22 database queries in 0.0153031 seconds