corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal Query - Driving back from spain.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legal Query - Driving back from spain.
DizzyRebel

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, one of my mates lives in spain - he bought a motorhome from the uk last year and drove it over and used it all last race season. Hes decided he isnt racing again this year so has sold it to someone in the uk.

He called me the other day and asked me if i would drive it back to the uk for him and i said i would. I was just wondering if im going to need any papers or documents to bring it back to the uk plus any other implications i might face at customs or back on uk soil as its been out of the country for a while.

I know it is on uk plates still, but im unsure if it has tax and mot on it as it's been out of the country for over a year i should imagine.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax/MOT could be an issue, so make sure it has both before it comes back. Insurance would be usful too I imagine.

Just make sure the smugglers deck isnt full of cocain before you start going over the boarders.
DizzyRebel

2nd Feb 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, its not being loaded up with drugs, its been sold to a motorhome dealers in doncaster.

How can you tax and mot a vehicle that is out of the country though?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good question!

If it was me, I would get a friendly MOT man to do one for me.

Or you could organise a MOT visit on the day of your arrival and use that old chesnut to drive home?

Seriously though I would call up the DVLA and see what they think.
oceansoul

2nd Feb 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really, to drive in a foreign country the cars gotta be taxed, mot'ed, and insured in the country its regiesterd in (with the insurance covering international driving). However unless u get stopped the spannish/ french authorities wont be able to check ota like ANPR would do here.
oceansoul

2nd Feb 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long was it used in spain for. Iirc if its more than 6 or 12 months(cant remember which) it needs to be regiestered in that country. Could cause problems
DizzyRebel

2nd Feb 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not worried about spain and france as its a foreign vehicle, but when im back in the uk its when i can forsee problems.

If i get pulled im just going to give the cops the details of the guy whos bought it, that way if there are any fines imposed he can take them!
Doug

2nd Feb 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Im not worried about spain and france as its a foreign vehicle, but when im back in the uk its when i can forsee problems.

If i get pulled im just going to give the cops the details of the guy whos bought it, that way if there are any fines imposed he can take them!

Mate if you are driving then it is up to you to ensure the vehicle is road worthy and has appropriate documentation!
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depend on whether you want to do it legally or not, if so i can give you the info you require legally

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Toby]
James_DT

2nd Feb 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

It doesn't matter who bought it, you're driving it so any fines related to no MOT/Tax are your problem.
deano87

2nd Feb 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the sake of a cheap flight, get the person who has bought it to collect. Easiest thing really.
MatthewR

2nd Feb 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt have thought the MOT would be an issue, just the road tax when u got back to UK dpending on if has run out or not - why doesnt he just get it taxed online?
am4nf

2nd Feb 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are thinking about getting it mot'd over there, you wont be able to, plates have to be changed, lights changed for lhd, and im not sure if the rulesar the same for motorhomes but caravans cant go through the mot over there as the door is on the wrong side
Twiggy

2nd Feb 10 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax it online. make an apointment with a garage round the corner from the boat and insure it...
Fro

3rd Feb 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it doesnt have MOT how can he tax it?
Twiggy

3rd Feb 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
If it doesnt have MOT how can he tax it?

Thats just being picky

Fucking good point though!!!
oceansoul

3rd Feb 10 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude, u should care about driving illegally in spain and france. If your caught the authorities are proper harsh, not a silly fine like over here!
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Feb 10 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you also have to remeber that your importing the car as its a sale so you will need to complete a customs doc and pay duty etc
am4nf

3rd Feb 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No he wont ^^ as its still registered over here
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Feb 10 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
you also have to remeber that your importing the car as its a sale so you will need to complete a customs doc and pay duty etc

UK registered motorhome, what importation?
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Feb 10 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:
Originally posted by Toby

UK registered motorhome, what importation?

didnt see that

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal Query - Driving back from spain. 22 database queries in 0.0670669 seconds