corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Obtaining Student Loans for a new course if you have had them previously?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Obtaining Student Loans for a new course if you have had them previously?
SetH

User status: Offline
5th Feb 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, have done a lot of research online for this and finding conflicting information.

Student finance England were not very helpful on the phone either.

I had 3 years worth of student loans between 98-2001 for a couple of undergraduate courses that I did not complete.

Im contemplating going back to Uni in sep to do an undergraduate course and want to know where i stand in terms of eligibility for student finance.

some sources say youve had 3 years so you cant get anymore, others say you can get some and others say you ll have to pay your tuition fees, wont get a student loan but will get a maintence grant.

so in a nutshell WTF???

Anyone in the know? or had any similar experiences?

Thanks.
SetH

5th Feb 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I know of one guy that completed an engineer degree of 3 years duration with 3 years full student finance.

He is now in the 1st year of an ecology degree and is getting full funding again, how he has managed this i dont know.
Colin

5th Feb 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I went to college the English lads had trouble getting fee's paid for never mind loans. It seems a lot harder than it is up here!!
Shell
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In England, i believe you pay your own tuition fee's on any course, whether it's your 1st or your 20th. In Scotland, we get ours paid for first time round, but they wont fund another degree. Student loans i'm pretty sure will fund a second degree/another degree. My friend had 2 years funded in an undergraduate course which he left to start a different course. He was granted a loan for new course but not tuition fee's for the first two years as he'd had that on a previous course. It MIGHT be different in England.
Root

5th Feb 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you get a student loan for a college course or is it strictly uni?

[Edited on 05-02-2010 by Root]
SetH

5th Feb 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Root, it has to be a higher education course. if you go to student finance england website there is an elligibility form you can fill out and it will tell you.

Shelley im thinking I might have to pay the 3 years tuition fees but if I do get a loan then I can use that to pay the fees.

so much conflciting info out there
ed

5th Feb 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can keep on getting more and more money for undergraduate courses, you just end up with more and more to repay. if it's a postgraduate course then you get nothing, unless it's a teaching or medical course but that money comes from elsewhere. You can get a maintainence loan of about £1k a term and you can get a loan for tuition fees.
SetH

5th Feb 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed whats your source or proof for that mate?

The mong on the phone at student finance told me otherwise.
ed

5th Feb 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be entitled to at least the maintainence loan so long as you're doing another undergraduate degree even if you've not completed a course and taken a loan before in the past. I wouldn't bother phoning them, just go through the application online - the calculator will tell you what you're entitled to.
SetH

6th Feb 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep your right, breaks down like this. you take the number of years of your course which for me would be 4 and add + 1.

Then take away the years you had full support for which is 5 -3.

Thus for years 1 and 2 I would only get the maintenance loan and years 3 and 4 would be fully funded

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Obtaining Student Loans for a new course if you have had them previously? 22 database queries in 0.0089231 seconds