corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PageRank

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PageRank
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
7th Feb 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any SEO gurus here?

I have a few questions really, some people say 'hidden' link-backs are really good, which basically means you swap links but put them in a hidden DIV so no-one can see them but they're in the code, but when I asked on some forum I got shot down saying Google is smart and it will ruin your PR, etc... What's the truth? Does anyone know or is it just guesses?

Also, does your PR improve if people search for the term and then click through to your site? Like, if I searched for "computer services" and went along to page 83 and found my site, would it help if I clicked it (and then did the same with 100 proxies)? I'm not intending on doing this but I'm curious how it works.

I heard the most important thing is the age of the domain/website, so ideally registering something now would be a good idea just for the future?

Does <A HREF="" TITLE="Computer Services"></a> do anything more than leaving TITLE out? Is it a good idea to add a title or not?

PS. Anyone wanna link swap?

[Edited on 07-02-2010 by xa0s]
ed

7th Feb 10 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Text on the page that is the same colour as the background is considered spam and I think hidden links are in the same category.

The usual technique is to have a big footer at the bottom of the page with a really well written site description which contains your weakest keywords. Use Google Webmaster Tools to find that stuff out, for example on one of our sites we want it to get a better search result using the keywords Windmill Farm, at the moment the word Farm is too weak for that to happen so we need it to appear more in pages.

Having external links is of course important; but having a well structured link system with an obvious hierarchy and ensuring everything that can have a title has a good title is probably more important.
Bart

7th Feb 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ed says really.

Hidden links are a load of tosh.
The most important thing, above and beyond anything else is content.

If your content isnt realtive to what you want to be found for, you wont stand a chance.
You need to talk about what you want to be found for and plenty of times.
Your most important keywords should also be in your title of the page.

Backlinks are a great idea, so long as they're from a relative website.
If your selling computer services you dont want your mates fish and chips website to backlink to yours.

Age of the domain hasnt ever stopped me ranking #1 for the terms Ive wanted.

Its also worth using various free SEO tools to find popular keyword combinations of what your looking for, one letter could make all the difference in your terms between 10k searches a month to 100k searches.

HTH
Paul_J

7th Feb 10 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A personal favourite tool for this sort of thing:

http://www.woorank.com
ed

8th Feb 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Useful site Paul

New Poll