corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Twitter.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Twitter.
Paul_J

User status: Offline
13th Feb 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who here is on Twitter?

I recently signed up. I finally saw the point of it recently.

I was at an event, the event had people on their mobiles twittering with the hash tag of the name of the event. As such I was able to walk around the event reading live comments and tweets about the shit I was seeing myself. Was funny.

What's everyone's names?

mine is @PaulJoslin
AndyKent

13th Feb 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get it.

All the annoying-ness of facebook status updates, without photos of hot females school mates
Wrighty

13th Feb 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats it do?
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I don't get it.

All the annoying-ness of facebook status updates, without photos of hot females school mates

nah it's not about stalking... it's about live updates with things you're interested in.

e.g. You want live up to date info on F1, subscribe to the F1 twitters. You want live news about tech shit, subsribe to tech crunch etc. You want live comedy shit, follow ricky gevais or whomever.

Facebook is all about following your mates (keeping yourself within your own social networks), twitter is all about opening yourself up to the rest of the world.

So by searching on a 'hash tag' phrase, you can see live what everyone is saying about something. e.g. when watching the superbowl, I had a live stream search on #superbowl open on twitter and could see everyone else around the world commenting about the stuff i was watching.
Jambo

13th Feb 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I signed up, my ex text me instantly asking me if i had signed up...?

I replied: Yes, why?

She said: Wank isn't it?

I agreed
Joe

13th Feb 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics of your ex James.
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I signed up, my ex text me instantly asking me if i had signed up...?

I replied: Yes, why?

She said: Wank isn't it?

I agreed

But that's because you're doing it wrong.
I felt the same for years! hence I never signed up.

This is because people are expecting it to be like facebook. So you think, right sign up to twitter and add / follow my friends.... WRONG! your friends are boring and don't do anything interesting and if they did, you'd know about it on facebook.

Twitter is about Live updates on things you're interested in / being open to the tweets happening around the world on topics - LIVE.

e.g. You know how when something happens in the news, you get a post on CS about it. Then people comment and you get a sorta 'live' comment feed on CS about what is breaking in the news. If you do the same on twitter, and search on that term, you have live comments around the world happening all the time in real time stream, some people will have inside information about whatever it is etc.

Hence a lot of news these days is broken on twitter first, then re posted on news sites and eventually read and posted on forums. Twitter just keeps you on the edge of breaking information.
Jambo

13th Feb 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I follow Kim Karsashian
AndyKent

13th Feb 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
I don't get it.

nah it's not about stalking... it's about live updates with things you're interested in.

e.g. You want live up to date info on F1, subscribe to the F1 twitters. You want live news about tech shit, subsribe to tech crunch etc. You want live comedy shit, follow ricky gevais or whomever.

Facebook is all about following your mates (keeping yourself within your own social networks), twitter is all about opening yourself up to the rest of the world.

So by searching on a 'hash tag' phrase, you can see live what everyone is saying about something. e.g. when watching the superbowl, I had a live stream search on #superbowl open on twitter and could see everyone else around the world commenting about the stuff i was watching.

But this is exactly what I don't get.

If I'm that interested I'll have it on the radio, or TV, or be there. Your superbowl example is like watching the game in third person, through someone else like.

For certain things I get it, like to get instant gig updates for bands or whatever, but all this personal update crap is just odd.
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the superbowl on tv, while the computer had the twitter updates.

superbowl isn't the best example. But you can see exactly what I'm talking about when you see people post up e.g. threads like 'Top Gear' or 'Skins'

Then while they're watching the program, people are talking about what they're seeing live...

also you say about being there. But that's exactly it, with this thing I was actually at recently. It was the fact I was able to walk around searching on #ddd8 hash tag, and see people commenting live about the same stuff I was seeing (or missing) and same way if I had something interesting to post about the things I was seeing that day, I put it on with hash tag #ddd8. Was good.

e.g. a bloke posted on the hashtag #ddd8 - 'Sitting in room bla bla, so thirsty, I wish i had some water' ... Then one of the organisers of the event read the hash tag, walked into that room and said 'who here tweeted they wanted water'.

Yesterday, I read about something cool on techcrunch called 'flattr' - it's like digg, but to give money to content providers. I wanted to see what other people thought about 'flattr'.

I searched on 'flattr' on twitter and boom had a live stream of people's opinions on the concept. I then spoke to a few of these people direct to discuss it further.

reality is the majority of people 'who don't get it' / 'think it's shit' - are using it completely wrong.

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Paul_J]
Neil

13th Feb 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.nearlygood.com/video/whatiftwitterwerereallife.html
Jambo

Well i have yet to see the point, so thats why i think its shit APart from the pic of Kim karsashian in her pants
ed

You were at an event and everyone was on their phones typing shit in and reading other shit? What is the world coming to?
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You were at an event and everyone was on their phones typing shit in and reading other shit? What is the world coming to?

It's coming to brilliance throw in live augmented reality on your phone and we're heading in the right direction.

It's honestly no different to the way forums have worked, other than the posts people make are free from being restricted to 'threads' and can be searched / filtered in a way that makes them visible to the entire internetz.

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Paul_J]
J da Silva

13th Feb 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul the event must have been boring if people are twatting at said event?
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilM
http://www.nearlygood.com/video/whatiftwitterwerereallife.html

Haha excellent, you can imagine how much the 140 character limit fucks me up - as I love writing essays.

- J da Silva, like anything it has high and lows - but you always have your phone on you, so you just have a peer down now and then. You're all sounding quite behind the curve
J da Silva

13th Feb 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sooooo behind the curve that I'm a dot in the background, I don't do facebook (although I registered to see the fuss and never used it since) but I don't do social networking in general as I don't benefit from it, I'm not slagging it off because I'm sure it's great for all these slut-thirsty single lads/lasses that want to fuck a random off of facebook/twitter etc...
AndyKent

13th Feb 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its probably one of those things I'll never get tbh. We survived hundreds of years without knowing the precise movement and thoughts of every other human being, so why start now......
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its probably one of those things I'll never get tbh. We survived hundreds of years without knowing the precise movement and thoughts of every other human being, so why start now......

wow that's a clever response.

Do you live in a cave, with no internet or electricity?

... well, human's have survived millions of years without internet or electricity, so why did you start?
J da Silva

13th Feb 10 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

... well, human's have survived millions of years without internet or electricity, so why did you start?

*Jots down Paul's ownage line, for use in the future*

ed

It's one of those things that you can convince yourself you need, but you don't really. I've noticed that a lot of people I know who are involved with IT seem to rave about it too. Leave them to it I say
AndyKent

Because those things have improved our lifestyle.

Personally, I don't think constant updates on what people are thinking will improve my life at all. On facebook is deeply irritating hence why I hardly use it.
ed

13th Feb 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
quote:

*Jots down Paul's ownage line, for use in the future*

I think it's more funny that he's just gone and compared Twitter to electricity in terms of usefulness.
ssj_kakarot

13th Feb 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont see the point tbh news feeds are much better for getting info on certain subjects
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Each to their own

When the internet was new, people used to sit there going 'what's the point? It's just something for geeks isn't it' ...

When computer games came out, people thought they were for 'hobbiests' and 'kids'...

My point is, time's change, new technologies and services appear. Generally the younger / 'more in touch' people adopt and the older people get left behind / adapt late.

Look at your parents. Struggling to click the icon.

That'll be you in 20 years struggling to ride your hoverboard, or adapt to the matrix like reality we all live in

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Twitter. 22 database queries in 0.1252079 seconds