corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD this and that, when it's not really HD, and 'p' to denote quality

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HD this and that, when it's not really HD, and 'p' to denote quality
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
28th Feb 10 at 23:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's annoyed me a lot recently that things are described as HD when they're just the same resolution that they always would have been had this silly acronym not become some benchmark for things being good.

Mostly annoyingly, YouTube are also using 360p, 480p etc. to mean vertical resolution of that number of pixels. p being short for 'progressive' as opposed to interlaced, which videos using that codec would never be

Like as soon as you say 'p', people are going to know you mean vertical resolution because it's some defacto standard even though it doesn't actually mean that.

Then we have HD audio. It's not HD, its no more HD than any other audio, unless at the same time the marketeers introduced fancy names for particular resolutions, they also renamed existing audio standards and did away with the technically accurate nomenclature to replace it with one single noob version.

CorsAsh

28th Feb 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*Please upgrade your browser. HD decoding is required to display this post.*
noshua

28th Feb 10 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

:doyle:

[Edited on 28-02-2010 by noshua]
Reecemac

1st Mar 10 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont forget pc and laptop screens that are now "HD!" like they have always been, but now sound even better to everyday noobs. Really annoys me too.
xa0s
Banned

1st Mar 10 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uh HD audio is like 7x the bit-rate of normal dts etc.
James@CCC

1st Mar 10 at 04:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont forget HD sunglasses....

http://www.seen-on-tv.ws/mail-order/hd-vision.html
ed

1st Mar 10 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This annoys me too. If you buy a decent 17" laptop and it had an 'HD' screen on it then it wouldn't be all that impressive, most the good ones have far higher resolution screens.

On another note, my ski goggles feature Oakley High Definition Optics. WTF :doyle:
Balling
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
On another note, my ski goggles feature Oakley High Definition Optics. WTF :doyle:

Oakley HDO has existed for just about 20 years, so has nothing to do with the HD craze we're seeing now.

That said, 5 years ago everything had to be named by the iProduct naming standard. Now it's the HD standard...

ed

1st Mar 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hadn't seen the HDO brand name before a few years back.
adiohead

1st Mar 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't stand the way some people pronounce 'H' incorrectly.

The channel 4 voiceover guy always does it just before crappy Hollyoaks.
Bart

1st Mar 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it really depends on your own system too.

Im only guessing here, but if you have a 720 TV, watch a DVD (which is 720 resolution anyway), then you should see 'HD type' quality?

If you have a 1920x1080 TV, watch the same DVD, you would have to scale up/stretch, and therefore not see 'HD Type' quality.

If you buy the same DVD in 1080 resolution, you'll effectively watch it 1:1 at 'HD Type' quality.

Is that correct?
Balling
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Im only guessing here, but if you have a 720 TV, watch a DVD (which is 720 resolution anyway), then you should see 'HD type' quality?

If you have a 1920x1080 TV, watch the same DVD, you would have to scale up/stretch, and therefore not see 'HD Type' quality.

If you buy the same DVD in 1080 resolution, you'll effectively watch it 1:1 at 'HD Type' quality.

Is that correct?

Not remotely.

DVD's are 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL.

Also, resolution is not all there is to HD. Compression has a lot to say as well.

baz2003uk

1st Mar 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hear the new Iphone is gonna be the iphone HD
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 10 at 02:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
Uh HD audio is like 7x the bit-rate of normal dts etc.
And in the context of YouTube videos which at best are likely to have a 16 bits at 44kHz, compressed with whatever lossy mechanism has got the audio to the guy who prepared the video, the ability to up-scale the bit rates that fast doesn't actually make any discernible difference to the stream.

And the video I saw it in wasn't using the Intel standard, or if it was, it clearly doesn't need it. 32 bit at 192kHz for a song recorded in the late 80s. That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth or processing power for nothing.

I don't think it actually was Intel HD.

I think it just had the letters HD in there so people were like 'woo, HD'. Noobs.

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by Ian]

New Poll