corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » interview in the morning :) UPDATED!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author interview in the morning :) UPDATED!
Minty_Fresh

User status: Offline
1st Mar 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got an interview at a place called midland motor care, do full valets on new/newer cars, some show room work also (so im told), also general basic servicing while the cars are in for a valet.

been out of work for 12months as i was so unsure what i want to do next etc, so hope this goes well..

not sure what i could get out of it (ie a career) thats if i do get the job, but at the end of the day i will have a income and will be gaining experience "touch wood"

[Edited on 02-03-2010 by mk4_boy]
_Allan_

1st Mar 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
but at the end of the day i will have a income and will be gaining experience "touch wood"

Not an interview technique I'd recommend unless your future boss is giving you the eye.

Good Luck

[Edited on 01-03-2010 by _Allan_]
Rich H

1st Mar 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck

What's the job for then? Servicing or valeting?

All I will say if it's valeting is that it's a lot harder work doing it day in day out in trade than it is doing your own car once a week
P1CK4D

1st Mar 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your on form today _Allan_ Second time today you've made me
gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

allan

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Minty_Fresh

1st Mar 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Good luck

What's the job for then? Servicing or valeting?

All I will say if it's valeting is that it's a lot harder work doing it day in day out in trade than it is doing your own car once a week

cheers rich..

well the guy said its a valeting job (the reason me applying for it) but he said it would be a bonus if i have basic mechanic experience aswell, which i have as i done 3 years at college (level 1&2 nvq in mechanics and level 1 motorsport degree)

i spoke to him a few weeks ago as i rang then but he said the job was taken etc, but then i spotted it again last week on the internet, so i rang again and he said he had to get rid of the previous guy as he just rushed the jobs and didnt have any pride in his work (which i have, alot!) so at this stage it sounds ideal for what im looking for, so hopefully it is when i get there tomorrow and that i do get the job.

he said that experience is not needed as training will be included which is good, any tips you could give me rich on valeting before i get there?

Rich H

1st Mar 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't any tips to give in all honesty, it's all about developing good techniques that achieve the desired results in the least time. Be interesting to hear how much time they are allocating you per car and what they expect you to get done in that time as 99% of trade places expect miracles in impossible time schedules!!
Minty_Fresh

1st Mar 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much would time from experience would you say per car?

being a valet obviously they wouldnt expect it to take ages surely?, but a full detail (which i doubt they do) would obviously take a lot longer as you well know..
Rich H

1st Mar 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will all depend what they class as a valet tbh. Put it this way, the minimum I spend on a car is 60-90 mins even on my most entry level stage 1 valet.

A lot of trade places get 60 mins tops for a wash, polish & interior. The BMW dealer I do some correction work for is horrendous - the foreign valeters get 10 mins per car for interior & exterior!! (Hence why I get correction work as some people aren't happy with the fact they've just had their car trashed by their valeters!)

I would certainly be asking what sort of timescales they allow you and what they expect to be done in that time. I don't know how long you would usually spend on your car doing what, but I reckon I could safely bet it's more than you'll be allowed in this job.

Not trying to worry you, just trying to warn you / prep you! Just because they're new / newer cars, doesn't mean they'll be in good nick!
Root

1st Mar 10 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sound like you have a good fighting chance at getting the job, best of luck
Minty_Fresh

1st Mar 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for that info rich

im sure they wont allow me the time i spend on my own car like you said, i usually spend around 2 hours on a 'quick' wash and polish (inc interior), and when i DA'd my mk3 golf i spent around 10hours on correcting the paint etc.

just want to gain more experience in this field of work to see where it can get me.
Rich H

1st Mar 10 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, also, it's a job for you at least. If you do like it, but want to go further in valeting, then the progression would be to become self employed in the future
kz

1st Mar 10 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound like you have a great attitude dude, good luck!

I used to valet million pound boats, it was mucho fun in the summer being out on the water
Minty_Fresh

1st Mar 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks kz, i seriously hope there not calling it valeting, when its just a basic clean inside and out while they have a service or something..

nathy_87

1st Mar 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck mate, sounds like your really into it, hope you get the job.
taylorboosh

1st Mar 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jobs a job mate
Minty_Fresh

2nd Mar 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had the interview, went really well, just suited me perfect, come out thinking that i just couldnt not get the job..

got home, told my girlfriend then the phone rang, it was him saying do i want the job, and could i start in the morning!

Eck
Premium Member

2nd Mar 10 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shit lad
Shell
Premium Member

2nd Mar 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations Sounds like you'll really enjoy the job. Well done
Rich H

2nd Mar 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate. Did you get to ask how long you get to spend on a car and what they expect in that time etc?
Minty_Fresh

2nd Mar 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks people

rich, i did ask yes and he said to be honest i dont want to give times for a vehicle, he said it takes aslong as it takes aslong as obviously it doesnt take ages..

so thats good

i had to wait aswell when i got there as he already had someone there having a interview, and his phone was off the hook with people asking for the job..

Rich H

2nd Mar 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Result - sounds like he won't be pushing you to get stupid amounts done in stupid timescales done then
Minty_Fresh

2nd Mar 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep

its his own business, he said hes only been doing it for 2 years but trying to expand.

hes got a nice (new build) little unit for about 3 cars to be spread out and to be able to work around..

he said hes open to ideas etc aswell, so hopefully after time im going to see if we can go more into detailing (once the business is more well known) to do more high end cars

and also to get some vans to go mobile..

nathy_87

2nd Mar 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations mate, knew you could do it.
Daveskater
Premium Member

2nd Mar 10 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one chap

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » interview in the morning :) UPDATED! 23 database queries in 0.0157440 seconds