corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » rise of the footsoldier

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rise of the footsoldier
scoob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Mar 10 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i may be a few years behind on this one but just got round to watching it yesterday. epic film imo
Blade_sri

16th Mar 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good flick
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good film indeed

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
SetH

16th Mar 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"fuck me its Tom Cruise"
MatthewR

16th Mar 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
"fuck me its Tom Cruise"

That bit is a ledge

[Edited on 16-03-2010 by MatthewR]
Ricky352

16th Mar 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah great film. The Essex Boys is related slightly to it too, the Range Rover thing is in it.
dhanson08

16th Mar 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its based on that guy who was on danny dyers deadliest men
mark_gsi

16th Mar 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carlton leach. him and tony denham are having a charity fight night
SXIBLK

16th Mar 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when and weres that mark gsi ??
mark_gsi

16th Mar 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start Time: Thursday, 25 March 2010 at 06:30
End Time: Friday, 26 March 2010 at 010

TOUCH GLOVE PROMOTIONS IS VERY PROUD TO PRESENT FOR CHARITY

..................... THE CLASH OF THE BIG BOYS IS ON!!!......................

***CARLTON LEACH*** ............ Vs ........***TONY DENHAM***.....
RISE OF THE FOOT SOLDIER ..................... FOOTBALL FACTORY

THESE TO WEST HAM BIG GUN'S ARE GETTING IN THE RING TO SETTLE A SCORE!!
FOR CHARITY .....
HELP THE HERO'S AND SAVE OUR YOUTH.. TWO GREAT CHARITIES THAT MEAN ALOT TO BOTH MEN..

ON THE NIGHT THERE WILL BE :

5 CRACKING FIGHTS INCLUDING A CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

LIVE P.A
AUCTION
AND THE TOUCH GLOVE Tzzz GIRLS LOOKING AFTER YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY...
AND MUCH MUCH MORE...

TICKETS :

£100 V.I.P ARENA TABLE SEATED WITH 3 COURSE MEAL

£70 BALCONETTE SEATS AND UNRESERVED TABLE'S

£50 UNRESERVED THEATRE STYLE SEATING

PLUS RISE OF THE FOOT SOLIDER CAST -TEAM LEACH

FOOTBALL FACTORY CAST-TEAM DENHAM

CELEB REF SCOTT WELCH- SNATCH ( BOXED BRAD PITT)

TICKETS ON SALE FROM THE 8TH MARCH

www.celebfightnights.com

OR CALL TICKET HOTLINE 0208 289 0493 OPEN 12-8PM
INFO CALL O7958403816

TICKETS ON SALE FROM MONDAY 8TH MARCH...

+ ALL THE CAST FROM FOOTSOLDIER AND FOOTBALL FACTORY WILL BE THERE ROUTING FOR THERE MAN...

THE QUESTION IS WHO IS YOUR MONEY ON!!!???

YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO MISS OUT ON THIS NIGHT OF FIREWORKS...

IF YOU WANT TO MESSAGE NINA TOUCHGLOVE FOR INFO PLEASE DO SO..

SEE YOU THERE .....
lostboy
Banned

16th Mar 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome film for sure.
Ojc

User status: Online
16th Mar 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terry Turbo is in it
kz

16th Mar 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother is an extra in this film
jonnysri

16th Mar 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fantastic film.
Dr Pepper

17th Mar 10 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am I the only one that thought it was terrible.

I laughed at how bad it was for an hour then got angry and turned it off

(edit)

I thought I might have misjudged this one...just typed 'rise of the footsoldier review' into google and you get pages of shocking reviews of this film coming up.

How come you all like it soo much... isnt it just a rehash of all the other terrible mockney films that have come after lock stock...actings awful and the script is the most cliched thing i have ever heard. I was laughing out loud at it for the first half hour before it just got boring.

Whats the appeal with this film?

[Edited on 17-03-2010 by Dr Pepper]
TheCrow

17th Mar 10 at 03:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I liked it too.

The appeal for me is that the majority is a true life story. Some is a bit far fetched, but the murders, etc true.
BarnshaW

17th Mar 10 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did not the the acting was awful? infact quite the opposite, i thought each character played a fantastic part.
Dr Pepper

17th Mar 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These pretty much sum up my thoughts on it - these are the first four reviews on google. I thought what they did - thats its a poor rehash of goodfellers, lock stock, football factory and several other recent movies....

Im not saying your all wrong by the way... its all about opinions....its just ive had this argument with mates who also liked the film....I genuinely think its in the worst ten films ever made and can not get my head round why people like it.

From BBC Film Site.....

"Blame Guy Ritchie. The late 90s success of Ritchie's cliché-ridden Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels triggered a series of pitiful gangster movies from which the genre never really recovered. Sadly Rise of The Footsoldier - the true story of Essex hardnut Carlton Leach - isn't likely to reverse that trend. Despite a decent lead performance from Hartnett, the film falls victim to all-too familiar East End stereotypes. They're either busy blowing someone's brains out or shagging a scantily-clad blonde.

Director Gilbey's use of the classic rise-and-fall gangster narrative isn't what will condemn Footsoldier to big screen obscurity. Nor is it the fact that half way through, the film annoyingly sidelines Leach in favour of the events culminating in the infamous shooting of Tate and Tucker. It's Gilbey's sickening appetite for scatter-shot violence that ruins the film; whether it's a brick in the face or axe in the head during a vicious attack on a train, it's all unnecessarily prolonged. Footsoldier doesn't so much pack a punch as leave you feeling violated and more importantly, robs you of two hours of your life you won't get back"

From The Telegraph

"All this feels familiar on two counts. Three of his mobster friends were found dead in a car in deserted Essex woodland in 1995, an event that also inspired the film Essex Boys. But more crucially, Rise of the Footsoldier owes a painfully clear debt to Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas. It's there in the voice-over, in the testimony about evil deeds by a bit-player.

But, while Scorsese made telling points about the simultaneous attraction and repulsion of the wise-guy lifestyle, delicately placing it in a social context, director Julian Gilbey and his brother William, who co-scripted, shed no light beyond tirades of half-baked, foul-mouthed rants.

If there's an award for the most frequent use of the c-word on film this year, Rise of the Footsoldier wins hands down. And the marginal nature of Leach's part in this story becomes comical: at its climax, he's reduced to hearing bad news from the other end of a phone line.

In the large cast, women exist solely to be abused, slapped about or used as sexual playthings by these feral boy-men. (They include Kierston Wareing, a marvellous actress who stars in the new Ken Loach film It's a Free World…, who is utterly wasted here.)

Distastefully, the Gilbeys fetishise firearms (the bigger the better), macho strutting and rage-fuelled mayhem. This ugly, dim-witted film will appeal to those teenage boys toting guns on our sink estates; they may even find it inspirational. I hope its distributors can live with that thought"

From Time Out London

"A repugnant gangland romp in which a group of Neanderthalic, perpetually gurning ruffians get tooled up with axe handles, baseball bats and Stanley knives then knock ten bells out of each other for just shy of two hours. Based on a true story, the ‘Rise’ of the title refers to the ‘meteoric’ ascent of mockney street tough, Carlton Leach (Ricci Harnett), from middle-rung football hooligan to, er, club doorman. Leach is then unceremoniously swept aside as the film hastily attempts to give the Rettendon Range Rover murders a once-over in its scrappy second half. There is fun to be had deconstructing writer-director Julian Gilbey’s laughable join-the-dots yob patois, as every sentence seems to start with an, ‘I’m gonna fackin’…’ or ‘You fackin’…’ or, on occasion, ‘So then I only went an’ fackin’…’, typically concluded with a mandatory ‘caaaant!’ The direction, too, smacks of sadism, especially the obvious glee Gilbey gets from filming violent scenes in close-up and, in the case of the bloody shotgun-to-the-face denouement, in triplicate"

Film Four

"Charmless and brainless, it's impossible to empathise with these halfwits, and the depressingly regular bouts of abuse and torture are deadening. Even for audiences who simply enjoy a bunch of hard cases going at each other, narrative contrivances don't gel: why does the gang turn on Jimmy, exactly? There's no sense why Terry and Carlton are like brothers, hence scant investment in their relationship.

The final act, Rashomon-like re-enactments of the Rettendon murders, is perhaps the oddest misstep. With Leach entirely sidelined, it's like the bravura last 20 minutes of GoodFellas with some minor Mafioso standing in for Ray Liotta.

At least Harnett is a relatively new face; does anyone need another British crime film with Billy bleedin' Murray or Frank fackin' Harper? And since the unfortunate advent of Vinnie Jones, there's no earthly reason for Craig Fairbrass's continued acting career. The Gilbeys have ability but, like Leach, surely it's time they started choosing their dealings and their associates far more carefully"

Corsa_Sport21

17th Mar 10 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent film but not a patch on Dead Man's Shoes.
jr

17th Mar 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper

Whats the appeal with this film?

it and essex boys are loosley based around true events and people

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » rise of the footsoldier 23 database queries in 0.0181530 seconds