corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Waterfall project now started.. :)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Waterfall project now started.. :)
neoquip

User status: Offline
20th Mar 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This morning we started digging out and getting stones in place for the waterfall.... weather turned bad so we packed up about dinner time. lol

from this last week.....

To this today,

having the natural fall it was easy to dig into the ground and get the rough shape of the fall. Managed to dig a hole to sink the water filter at the top, into the ground.
I bought 20'x5' pond liner from WORLDofWATER in Nottm, yesterday. Then once the digging out was about done we then laid it where we needed it to go. Having a lot of spare Sandstone we'll utilise that, next week we're off to pick some more flat stone slabs to line the base areas of the 'fall'. but today we just got some ideas on where the drops will go to give dramatic effect

to the right of the pic, me thinks I'll grass it, to the left get some nice 'waterfall' friendly pants.. Ferns etc to come over the edges of the waterfall.. also I can run any pipe work and the power cable up that side.

thinking of using the rest of the sandstone and cutting (if needed) to edge the sides of the waterfall and build a small retaining wall around the pond to make it all tie in the effect of the water fall stone work.

Now, where do I put the fancy lights to hi lite the water???

anyone else witha waterfall that you can show me how yours turned out.
M2RTY

20th Mar 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol lights
Simon

20th Mar 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, my dad made a waterfall for his pond. He moulded the whole thing out of chicken wire and then applied concrete or something so the whole thing looks like natural rock, looks really good. As soon as you've got a load of plants established in and around it they start to look ace.
neoquip

20th Mar 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon, any pix to show me?
drunkenfool

21st Mar 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice, I will be interested to see this when it's finished!
drunkenfool

21st Mar 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neoquip, take a look through the pics on this thread for the waterfall I made for one of the koi ponds Ive built
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=310478
neoquip

21st Mar 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
Neoquip, take a look through the pics on this thread for the waterfall I made for one of the koi ponds Ive built
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=310478

I remember the thread when you did it.. can't beleive it's 3-4yrs ago!! looks ace, any pix fro now as the plants will be all settled in now, I did like the look of the 'rain forest style' water fall you had... before you took it all out to gravel/shale it.

what lights did you get... i like lights.. want to do a feature on those if i can with ours.
Simon

21st Mar 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try and get some next time i'm back at parents
Marc

22nd Mar 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love stuff like this
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neoquip, we had some Blagdon underwater lights but please learn from my mistake and don't just go with the cheapest ones you can find. We had 2 replacement transformers at around £40 each, and then when it broke for the 3rd time we gave up - spend a few more pennies and get some good quality lights in the first place! If I did it again then I would love to get some of the Collingwood DMX controllable RGB LEDs like we are putting into the lounge.
neoquip

27th Mar 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done a bit more today, ballast/sand/cement mix with waterproofing solution added

built up the top first to get the retaining water area sorted, pipes that come from the filter box will fill the top 'holding' area from the left hand side and I've re routed a length of flexi pipe so water came come out the rear wall as well.
One the side were in, we've put some holding blocks to slow water down and let it build back up again, then it will (fingers crossed) cascade over the 'dam' parts,
We then placed the last flat stone slab, cutting a groove on the bottom tip so the water drops off it evenly instaed of doubling back on it's self.
finisged off the main 'run' parts by layering the cement/ballast, getting it to level as for the water not to run just down one side. then in the wet cement we threw small shail golden gravel into it to give it colour and texture.

Now need a bath, as I feel stiff
Simon

27th Mar 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks really good now!
drunkenfool

28th Mar 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF that does look really nice
neoquip

28th Mar 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers chaps, more done today, built up the retainer wall round the back and then dug the power/water pipes into the ground on the left to get them up to the filter box. Electrician coming on Thursday to connect power to a 'box' so i can then add lights and 'stuff' lol

Move all the excess soil over the ground now to get it looking a bit more even, will put some grass seed down in the next few days to get it started on the right, the left side I want Ferns and low maintenance plants... the less work the better

looking almost done, next weekend i'd like to get some water down it. Just need to get a extra hose to a water fountain... or something likethat, for the main pond.
Simon

28th Mar 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes the garden, nicely done! Next stage will be making an upper pond for the waterfall to start at
neoquip

28th Mar 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, don't start, it used to have a top feeder pond when the last owner had it, it was full of pea gravel, sludge and Iris pond plant.
We did look like this when we bought the house.... over three years ago.
drunkenfool

28th Mar 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What pump are you using to run that? It may be worth your while to look into the Sequence pumps as you arent pumping up very high or through big filters, and the energy savings over the life of the pump would be in the £1000s
Limecat
Banned

28th Mar 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top work. That garden must be about 90'?

Do you grow anything in the greenhouse?
neoquip

29th Mar 10 at 06:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
What pump are you using to run that? It may be worth your while to look into the Sequence pumps as you arent pumping up very high or through big filters, and the energy savings over the life of the pump would be in the £1000s

ooooooh, the pump that was in was a Nautilus 12000... it cost a packet to run, so we now have an Oase Eco 12000, it has the SFC on it as well, (seasonal function control), it adjusts to the temprature of the water and alters the output itself
neoquip

29th Mar 10 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Top work. That garden must be about 90'?

Do you grow anything in the greenhouse?

the last couple of years we've done tomatoes and peppers
drunkenfool

29th Mar 10 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neoquip, the Oase uses 130w and the sequence 12000 uses 72. It still might be worth swapping because if its on 24/7 then it will pay for itself in about 18 months!
neoquip

29th Mar 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll keep with what we have as its better than the 400w the Nautilus lol
neoquip

1st Apr 10 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this afternooon i've put the power in!!!

the water is flowing tonight :app:

I've set the Oase eco 12000 to 'ON' on the SFC (seasonal flow control) switch, it makes it go into a 'slower mode' to reduce power and reduce the water flow rate, because of the temprature of the water.
I turned if OFF and it came down the waterfall like no bobies buisness. Fingers crossed the weather picks up this year so the water warms up lol

will get vid clip of it mabe tomorrow, as wantto get a bit more done on the stone wall and get some light in.

neoquip

3rd Apr 10 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, here we go, two vid clips for you, taken yesterday after we'd built around the uv filter and electrics area... you know, where all the switches and transformers for the lights will go.

vid clip 1 is with the SFC turned on, don't forget I've split the pipe from the pump using a 'Y' splitter so I can have a fountain cascade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY93Jppbc0k

vid clip 2 is with the SFC turned off, so this is now on full flow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLuTPjfBjM

what do you think?
Winemaker

3rd Apr 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody nice job! 100%

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll