corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Offered free photos today.........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Offered free photos today.........
Tiger

User status: Offline
25th Mar 10 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My company is launching a new range of top line commercial catering products soon. The brochure is underway at the minute, they have put together the most haphazard backdrop for it out of sheets of white veneer.

I offered today to do all the photography, professionally and for free using the range of studio flash heads etc and high quality gear.

They turned round to me and said - don't worry, a girl from the office is going to take them They use a practically compact camera with pop up flash.

My company is the UK's leading shopfitting company, and they resort to this for promoting our products: substandard photography.
Matt L

25th Mar 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some people just dont understand.
andy1868

25th Mar 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they'll learn they always do
Tiger

25th Mar 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just don't want the brochure to look shit you know what I mean, it's their call like but if that's how they want it...
am4nf

25th Mar 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it a guy you were talking to?
Daveskater
Premium Member

26th Mar 10 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll realise when the brochure looks awful

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Scotty_B

26th Mar 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people ust don't get it. This can be frustrating at times.
Tiger

27th Mar 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so in the end, when the sales director got wind of what I had offered they changed their minds so I set up using 2 main flash heads and 2 slaves in very difficult shooting condtions.

An awful tatty background made up of sheets of veneer, masking taped together and broken in places, very little room and a very low ceiling. The background only went as high as the top of the unit too so I was hugely restricted to shooting angles. Shadows and reflections I did the best I could with and I post edited one photo to show the sales director what kind of shot could be acheived with a little post editing on the background. I spent 30 mins on the unfinished photo here and it still needs a little more work:

This is a bit commercially sensitive so i'm only posting one photo and not mentioning who I work for, even though some people know:

[Edited on 27-03-2010 by Tiger]
Gaz

27th Mar 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say it just needs a bit of a boost in contrast, just to make it "Pop".

nicely lit though
Gaz

27th Mar 10 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope you didn't mind but I just done a quick and dirty edit on how I would have made it pop a little more.
Increase of Contrast > Decrease in Lightness > Curves edit to re-blow out the background > Painted over the product (un-neatly) to just ttry to make it "Pop"
Gaz

27th Mar 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mind you having looked at it directly agaisnt yours, It's not that much different, I feel the back corner is being lost still :S
Tiger

27th Mar 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm working on a calibrated monitor, I just switched it to 'uncalibrated view' and it looks loads different (the original version). The bits you were on about I didnt see until I uncalibrated it.

The version I posted still needed work, I did 30 mins cloning bits out and tidying up but I can still see bits I need to improve, lets hope they dont ask me to edit up the full 60 useable shots @ 45 mins each. I reckon it'd drive me crazy.

Makes me laugh though, the real reason they didnt want me to do the shots to start with I think, is because i'm just a 'lowly' sparky normally seen scratting round on factory/shop floors
Gaz

27th Mar 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work on an uncalibrated (laptop) monitor :'(
Tiger

27th Mar 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines a laptop monitor, but I use SpyderPro to calibrate it, usually after its been switched on for 20 mins to get the correct operating temp of it...

You'd honestly be amazed at the difference it makes to your photos mate, look into them.
Gaz

27th Mar 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Mines a laptop monitor, but I use SpyderPro to calibrate it, usually after its been switched on for 20 mins to get the correct operating temp of it...

You'd honestly be amazed at the difference it makes to your photos mate, look into them.

If I could afford one, I would - But I'm saving up for a wedding
Tiger

27th Mar 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask around, maybe you could borrow one to do a one off, should keep you going for a good few months
A1EX

27th Mar 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem ive found with having a calibrated monitor and all that jazz is hardly anyone else does, well 98% of ppl don't so unless it is for brochure/print work they're not worth it as you're not seeing what client is. Even for brochure/print work half of the damned printers don't calibrate their shit either
Tiger

27th Mar 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I use a calibrated monitor and printer profiles for the printers I use, so I get back what I see on the screen.

Before calibrating the monitor, I was getting prints back with colour shifts, under or over contrasted prints and darker or lighter prints..
Matt L

29th Mar 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to be investing in a spyder pro thing soon (about £60ish iirc) they really that good?

recently got a canon printer and tbh the prints i have done so far are pretty similar to the monitor as it is so i dont know if it will really make much differnece.
Tiger

29th Mar 10 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
Im going to be investing in a spyder pro thing soon (about £60ish iirc) they really that good?

recently got a canon printer and tbh the prints i have done so far are pretty similar to the monitor as it is so i dont know if it will really make much differnece.

It's the difference between getting exactly what you see on the monitor and not really. The differences may be subtle but they are present. If its important to get it bang on, then its worth getting.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Offered free photos today......... 24 database queries in 0.0129251 seconds