corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Offer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Offer
Reedy

User status: Offline
29th Mar 10 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently waiting a response from a company I had an interview with today and Im pretty sure they want to hire me.
The situation I have is, do I wait to see what other offers I might get. Im still awaiting a response on IBM, Microsoft, Sky and Accenture who have shown interest.

The money is 20k in Middlesbrough, but the twist is that the place follow strict programming standards(which I like) and they want me to develop their IPhone Apps for all of their customers( which is another bonus).

I dont mind Middlesbrough but I would prefer somewhere nicer, another issue I have is the money which isnt that great.

So in summary, do I take the job that offers a good working environment and the work I do will be good BUT I will be underpaid and in an area which isnt that great.

I was thinking of just turning my phone off for a few days and then they can leave an answerphone message and then I can contact them.
deano87

29th Mar 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really is a tricky one.

I guess you could ask them when they'd need to know by as you are sorting other commitments or something like that.

The trouble is you don't want to show dis-interest in the job.

Tough one that.
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly, I dont want to put them off. They seem like a good firm to work for. Theyre quite small but have been tipped to double in the next year so I could end up quite high up too.
CORSA NUT

29th Mar 10 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate the one thing i've learnt throught the years is if you find a job you really LOVE doing it dosn't matter how much you get or your status etc etc.If you can survive comfortably on the money then go for the one that will make you happier
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Mate the one thing i've learnt throught the years is if you find a job you really LOVE doing it dosn't matter how much you get or your status etc etc.If you can survive comfortably on the money then go for the one that will make you happier

Question is, upon taking this job could I be missing out on an even better job
CORSA NUT

29th Mar 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Reedy
exactly, I dont want to put them off. They seem like a good firm to work for. Theyre quite small but have been tipped to double in the next year so I could end up quite high up too.

That's another good thing mate...from the second you start give it your all and you'll climb the ladder in no time.With the company expanding they will be looking for strong leaders/workers etc.
CORSA NUT

29th Mar 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

Question is, upon taking this job could I be missing out on an even better job

I'd say having the chance for growth is better than 'Maybe' climbing the ladder elsewere
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have a backup plan if i do take this job. I'm trying to start up my own business with my dad so I could run that in the background.

The company has no experience with mobile apps at all and theyre looking to hire somebody "fresh" to make the mobile apps. If they get bigger then they will need more apps and so more programmers for mobile apps.

Still, I just like the living in Bath. Such a nice area, cleaner and not everybody is an arse.

[Edited on 29-03-2010 by Reedy]
am4nf

29th Mar 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you accept the job but get a better offer surely you could hand in your notice?
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by am4nf
If you accept the job but get a better offer surely you could hand in your notice?

my dad said the same

I suppose it keeps my options open.
Mike2k111

29th Mar 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I first started my new job in January as a programmer I had a 3 month probationary period with the company in which I could leave/they could dismiss me without the standard 1 month prior notice. Not sure if this is a common thing but it might work in your favour if a better job was to come along for you.

Needless to say I ended up loving my job and the people I work with are fantastic so even though the money isn't as high as some that I applied for, like Corsa Nut said, its worth far more than your pay cheque.
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2k111
When I first started my new job in January as a programmer I had a 3 month probationary period with the company in which I could leave/they could dismiss me without the standard 1 month prior notice. Not sure if this is a common thing but it might work in your favour if a better job was to come along for you.

Needless to say I ended up loving my job and the people I work with are fantastic so even though the money isn't as high as some that I applied for, like Corsa Nut said, its worth far more than your pay cheque.

I dont think they do the probational thing here. Im not sure what the people are like but the guy who interviewed me seemed alright. Ill just have to wait and see now.
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woo just been offered the job.
James

29th Mar 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends who it's for. You've listed 4 companies that are renowned for providing a good career framework so I'd be inclined to pursue those.

Plus Accenture (probably the other 3 too), would pay considerably more than what you have been offered.

People say money isn't everything but realistically it counts for a lot, I guess I'm just lucky to enjoy my job and get paid well too. Perhaps my opinion would be different if this wasn't the case.

[Edited on 29-03-2010 by James]
Reedy

29th Mar 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've took the job and I will pursue starting my own business with my dad at the same time. IF a better offer comes along from one of the big names then I will work my notice and leave.
Paul_J

30th Mar 10 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the flip side... any experience on the cv is a good thing...

What's to stop you doing this job for a year and then going off to one of the giants? (other than some whining people on a car forum convincing you that you should be staying lol)
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
on the flip side... any experience on the cv is a good thing...

What's to stop you doing this job for a year and then going off to one of the giants? (other than some whining people on a car forum convincing you that you should be staying lol)

Yep, I've took the job but I will be still be keeping an open ear for the giants. If it turns out that they want me then I will work my notice and goto the giants.
Paul_J

30th Mar 10 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you go about applying to them? surely takes ages? many assessments etc...

what makes you think they'll give you a job?
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
how do you go about applying to them? surely takes ages? many assessments etc...

what makes you think they'll give you a job?

- I applied through their graduate programmes.
- It does take ages, hence I havent heard from them in awhile.
- I will do the assessments whilst at uni / working
- I have confidence and good grades, if they dont take me then atleast I have something to fall back on.
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just realised, that was my first interview and I got the job
Recession Ha!
Paul_J

30th Mar 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ive just realised, that was my first interview and I got the job
Recession Ha!

exactly the point I was making in that other thread... most of the people who say you should be lucky to have a job etc, are in different trades.
mattk

30th Mar 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Ive just lost mine so Im saying Recession boo

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by mattk]
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Well Ive just lost mine so Im saying Recession boo

Im sorry to hear that, my dad is also out of a job too so I know its hard.
mattk

30th Mar 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not the first time, probably wont be the last, Im thinking of setting up my self too tbh
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
not the first time, probably wont be the last, Im thinking of setting up my self too tbh

Yep, seems to be the best way. I cant remember what country it is but the availiability of jobs is so bad that everyone is self employed.
I'm still going to continue starting my own business with my dad, it just might take abit longer.

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by Reedy]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Offer 22 database queries in 0.0132132 seconds