corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Disposable income

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Disposable income
deano87

User status: Offline
30th Mar 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one is a bit personal so I don't expect a mountain of answers

But my disposable income after all my bills is £380. Now I know this sounds a lot, but when I say bills, I mean I pay £160 house keeping (not my only outgoing) but 3 days of the week live at the Mrs so often buy food for there. So £380 disposable soon gets used on food and other bits and bobs - it seems month on month I don't buy a lot of luxuries.

Now this aspect of not being able to buy anything every month is kind of getting me down and am getting bored of not doing anything - I can't remember the last time I went out with the Mrs for a meal or to the cinema.

But I want to know whether I'm just being a pedantic old fart, or should I man up and get with the real world where you have no money when you have real commitments i.e. a house? Is £380 disposable actually quite a lot?

I hope people get the gist of what I mean - I just want some reassurance this is 'normal' and how others live?

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by deano87]
Cosmo

30th Mar 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH most of my income is disposable so it is a lot more than that, but I do try to save a fair amount so I dont consider it all as disposable.

I guess it is a case of manning up and realising whats more important to you - spending on yourself (I dont know what it is you're wanting to buy, man sized butt plugs or something I expect) or spending so you can live with your missus more than you would otherwise.

Hopefully as time goes on your income will increase and you'll have more disposable income to spend.
Pop

30th Mar 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have more disposable income than I do at the moment.

It just depends what you want really. Do you want luxuries that you have to save for? What kind of things are these?

We manage to go for meals, cinema etc, it's all done in moderation. To be fair I used to have a much larger disposable income, I just saved most of it for a house deposit and all the stuff needed to fill the house.
deano87

30th Mar 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do save £150 per month, therefore I could bin a percentage of that and 'spend' it.

What I mean is last month I didn't buy anything special, go anywhere, do anything, but the disposable income just seemed to disappear gradually.

I guess when I say about luxuries it's things like going to the cinema every so often, out for meals, buying biking bits. My work shoes have holes in the bottom even

Something I'll have to deal with and a boat a lot of people are in!
Pop

30th Mar 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you buy stuff with cash?

The reason I ask is that I used to and if I broke into a note for something I could hardly ever account for where the shrapnel went. I started buying everything on a credit card to build up my credit rating, just paid it off in full at the end of each month.

You could also note down each month what you are spending your money on, you may be suprised how much you are spending on a certain thing, for example, food.

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by Pop]
deano87

30th Mar 10 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most things are on debit card. But I do spend a lot on food. I guess I just need to really look at what I do spend and then work out true disposable.

But one way to look at it is we go to work to earn money to live, not to earn money to live for nothing and spend on what we like.
pow
Premium Member

30th Mar 10 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do you pay £160 to live at home then go and live round your missus and buy all hers and your food?

What your describing isn't normal to me, I eat out at least twice a week, tank of fuel a week (social and commuting), food at work, luxeries as well as tucking some away in savings (not a lot but enough) and paying for my phone, car and to live at home. Before anyone jumps on the "you live at home" bandwagon, yes, I do, I'm 20 and proud that I do, I'm living my life a little just like Deano should be.

It's all about being smart with your money. I also have no money owing on credti cards, dont have an overdraft and my current account has never dipped below £100 in 2+ years.

I'd try and stop spending soo much on food and do what I do, allow yourself a certain amount of free spending money each week, withdrawing the cash knowing that you have £50/70/100 etc to last a week.

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by pow]
Andrew

30th Mar 10 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£380 is a fair chunk from where i'm standing. I have around £500 left once i've paid all the bills after doing a few calculations. I could have a bit more if i used my head and paid the likes of car insurance in one go.

I work long hours and my only pleasures in life are a couple of nights in town per month and a few takeaways here and there. Town has to go and i'm limiting myself to takeaways, maybe a couple per week rather than 2 per day.

I think the average person is in the sam situation mate. Most people on this forum are bullshiters when it come to finances.

Some people on here i would love to know where the money comes though - i.e. who pays 27k for a car who recently was at college... I would love to have £2,700 in the bank right now but that's 12 months away << See where i'm coming from, getting 3k in the bank will take me a year or so..

It's about spending wisely on things you want. I've always wanted nice things rather than having a good time.

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by Andrew]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 06:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All about spending your money wisely Deano, I've been lucky with my job prospects even though thats all about to change but you can be clever with money. For example, if you want to go to the cinema then hit up Orange Wednesdays, if you fancy a meal then check out deals on martins money saving tips, phone up your mobile provider and ask them if they can do you a better deal or if you are out of contract go to a rolling 30 day contract. Shop around for car insurance, if you pay for your broadband then shop around for that! For example if you use Quidco (google) then you can currently switch over to O2 Broadband and get cash back from the switch.

We all find ways to get by, go on an ebay selling spree, see if theres any extra cash you can make on the side using a skill you may have that people would pay for?

pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please don't take this the wrong way either but when I was with my ex, I used to put my hand in my pocket for EVERYTHING, fuel, tickets, food, little bits here and there. When she left me I was noticably better off. Wish I'd never let the cheating skank take me for a mug like that, it would be have been far better if we has split costs 2 ways. Perhaps you need to talk to your girlf about this if your paying out for everything? Shes earning as well IIRC?

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by pow]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

380 a month?
RichR
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus combined earned just under £80,000 in the year upto March 31st, from basic plus bonus and gratuities. We both pay in £1250 [£2500 total] into a joint account which is used for anything to do with the house; mortgage, bills, renovation costs. After paying that we're both left with about £1,000 from our basic. We don't have any other loans/finance but obviously have phone bills, food, going out, fuel, insurance, holidays etc. However, we never have any money left. I have savings which I pay into monthly as well as any bonus I earn, but of my personal dispoable income, it just never seems to go anywhere.

I would guess its because as you earn more and have more disposable income, you live to those means, ie you go out to eat more; don't worry about getting big rounds in at the pub; buy better food rather than budget brands; you stay in better hotels on holiday etc.

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by LiVe LeE]
Neo

31st Mar 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
When she left me I was noticably better off.

This.

Want more money for luxuries then bin the missus.

Reality though, man up. £380 is a good wedge a month spending money, work out where its going and cut back/save so you can go out for dinner/cinema etc.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Me and the missus combined earned just under £80,000 in the year upto March 31st, from basic plus bonus and gratuities. We both pay in £1250 into a joint account which is used for anything to do with the house; mortgage, bills, renovation costs. After paying that we're both left with about £1,000 from our basic. We don't have any other loans/finance but obviously have phone bills, food, going out, fuel, insurance, holidays etc. However, we never have any money left. I have savings which I pay into monthly as well as any bonus I earn, but of my personal dispoable income, it just never seems to go anywhere.

I would guess its because as you earn more and have more disposable income, you live to those means, ie you go out to eat more; don't worry about getting big rounds in at the pub; buy better food rather than budget brands; you stay in better hotels on holiday etc.

pretty much the same as me but we put £1300 into joint account, but as neo said £350 a month to piss up the wall is a fair amount, split everything with the mrs though, if they want to be able to vote then they can pay their own way

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
if they want to be able to vote then they can pay their own way

THIS
Andrew

31st Mar 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Please don't take this the wrong way either but when I was with my ex, I used to put my hand in my pocket for EVERYTHING, fuel, tickets, food, little bits here and there. When she left me I was noticably better off. Wish I'd never let the cheating skank take me for a mug like that, it would be have been far better if we has split costs 2 ways. Perhaps you need to talk to your girlf about this if your paying out for everything? Shes earning as well IIRC?

Totally agree here!!
AlunJ

31st Mar 10 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a lot more than I have left after mortgage bills etc, I'm usually lucky if I've got £270-300 left to cover food, petrol, and general living!
Ben G

31st Mar 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£380 is a lot to have left after all the bills and that. nearly a 100 quid a week to spend/save

me and the mrs will have around £900 disposable income each month after mortgage/bills/food etc, but mostly all of that will be saved up for a while.
Ben G

31st Mar 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, ask yourself ''do i really need this'' when you are shopping for food or at the petrol station and buy a sandwich/magazine.

i know it doesn't seem much money but it all adds up.

and cinema/restaurant with the mrs can be done, just in moderation.

i try and take my mrs out once a month to the cinema or for a nice meal and that way it seems to be a bit more special and more of an occasion.
whitter45

31st Mar 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after bills including mortgage, utilities, sky, council tax, house insurance etc around 800 - 900

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by whitter45]
corsa-sxi

31st Mar 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i live at home, rarely eat out tankful of petrol, phone and gym bill is my only outgoings, rest i spend on whatever i like, but ive not bought anything expensive for myself in years, so i guess 75% is disposable

I have saved over 50% of my total take home pay in the 2.5 yrs i've been working
[Edited on 31-03-2010 by corsa-sxi]

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have an iPhone / touch buy yourself the pocket money app and keep an eye on your spending, set budgets etc.

I have been doing this since June 09 and know where every penny has gone!

Also pointed out some months I spent £400 in petrol mainly going to work, and all the random shit I bought on impulse I really could do with out!

I'm saving for house deposit so being more careful with my spending!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Danny P

31st Mar 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While saving for my house I've been living off £300 per month, that includes petrol an all. All the rest i've been saving.

Still done everything I used to do, but just been more careful IE - When out on the piss, I know that 10 pints will get me pissed, so i've not bought stupid rounds or shots for every fucker like I used to. Not really noticed too much of a lifestyle change, just had less take out food (Used to buy take aways all the time despite living at home still) and just eaten what ever the family was eating. Dont buy half as many clothes/trainers etc.

Took a couple of month to get used to it, but I now I can quite happily live of it. Even have some left over sometimes. All about cutting your cloth accordingly. Decide what you really want to buy, rather that just buying stuff for the sake of it.
deano87

31st Mar 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the serious input guys - all noted.

I don't really buy much shit at all tbh.

The misses pays her fair share, she earns the same as me but pays out a lot more in housekeeping because her parents are so skint.

And I pay so much housekeeping because it's only fair. At the end of the day I'm a 22 year old adult living at home, I can't take the piss too much - like I put, I'm still better off than I would be living on my own.

I think the thing for me also is that when I was at Uni, I would have some money but not know where the next lot is coming from. It's hard for me to grasp that next month there will be another £300 disposable coming in.

Cheers for the pointers though guys - makes me feel I'm not alone, if that makes sense.

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by deano87]
Colin

1st Apr 10 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just spend it all, every penny

Me & Jade pay 50:50 for the house into a joint account.

Whatevers left over is yours to do as you wish.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll