corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop hard drive issue..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop hard drive issue..
Kano

User status: Offline
6th Apr 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically my laptop thinks its very low on disk space, however there is a second drive showing in my computer that is completely empty. Is there something I need to change a setting on for it just to start using the free one now that the other one is full?

I'm not hugely clued up when it comes to things like this so be gentle..
oceansoul

6th Apr 10 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2nd one is most likely a 2nd partition in your HDD. Kinda like 2 drives on 1. You should be able to save your stuff there, just like you would to your C:\ partition. Unless its reserved for system use.

You may be able to merge the 2 partitions into 1, but im not sure.
Reecemac

6th Apr 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It means the disk which the o/s is on, just move some films/music and shit to the spare one.
Kano

6th Apr 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Reecemac
It means the disk which the o/s is on, just move some films/music and shit to the spare one.

So it wont automatically use that one. Bit of a strange idea but its probably common place.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Apr 10 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:
Originally posted by Reecemac

So it wont automatically use that one. Bit of a strange idea but its probably common place.

If it's registered as two disks on your laptop (different drive letters) then it's classed as two different file systems. It's quite possibly the same physical disk if it's in a laptop - but it's been built with two partitions, so it's classed as two disks.

It's possible to setup several hard disks in a raid array so that they are 'merged' and share space, but then would be classed as a single disk. Alternatively if it's just one disk, you can rebuild it as a single partition. Either option means a complete reformat and reinstall of everything.

You need to manually move some stuff over to the other disk to free up the first one.

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kano

6th Apr 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a ball ache, will give me something to do tommorow.

Cheers for the help!
ENB

7th Apr 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or you could go into disk management delete the empty partition and expand your C drive.

Will take about 5 minutes and you won't lose anything.

Before you ask where disk management is, right click 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage' from the menu.

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by ENB]

New Poll