corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Debating on a respray!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Debating on a respray!
Mark.W

User status: Offline
12th Apr 10 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been considering having a full respray for the past 6 months and will be going for a quote once iv getting 2 front arches as there is little bits of rust creeping up on the bodywork off the bad winter we had and the rear bumper is starting to flake,iv never been happy with the pattern part front bumper that i have on mine off when i had a slight bump back in 2006 its a terrible fit,also the spoiler is looking a different colour, few clips on the arches is broken and a few car park dings here and there.

I bought a genuine bumper from the scrap yard to be painted,going to be buying 4 new arches that i want painted satin black so i dont have to keep using bumper black gels,sprays.

But yesterday when i parked asda car park for 5 mins and come out some twat had opened the car door onto mine chipping the paint on my door and really starting to think is it going to be worth spending approx 1k on a respray as theres so many careless twats out there but iv spent so much on the car and do feel it will make the car so much better.

What would you do?

CorsAsh

12th Apr 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get the respray and then be extra careful about choosing parking spaces.

However, look at it this way, it's lasted over ten years on the paint job it has now, and whilst dings are annoying, you can get them PDRed after the respray if it bothers you that much, and the paint will probably outlast the car.

Otherwise you have to put it down to general wear and tear that comes of actually using your car.

[Edited on 12-04-2010 by CorsAsh]
dean101287

12th Apr 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might sound like your dad but do you really want to waste £1000 painting a car thats not even worth that?

Id put the money in a pot and save it because in a few years your going to be wanting a bigger/faster car and you will be wishing you had the money instead of spending it on the corsa.
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do sound like my dad dean he said pretty much the same thing but my mother says if i plan on keeping the car then go for it
Graeme
Premium Member

12th Apr 10 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how long your going to keep the car and remember it wont really add value.
SamCorsaB

12th Apr 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and what happens if you get a respray and someone opens there car door onto yours again?
dean101287

12th Apr 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Its just I spent a fortune on my old car sorting the bodywork out, for it to end up in a scrap yard But on the other hand, if you enjoy looking after it and keeping it clean ect... then you have to spend your cash on something.

Do you find that no-one else notices the defects but because you know its there its bugging you. Thats what made me do it
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Apr 10 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking the same thing wooly, the stone chips on my front bumper and bonnet bug me, got qoutes for both to be repainted, and was going to go ahead with it but then thought chances are the panels won't match and be slightly off colour with regards to the new paint and the old paint.

And also Im more than likely to get more chips even after I have it painted, it just happens and nothing I can really do about it.
Im not looking to sell my car for a few years yet but it was one of the reasons I thought about getting the lot painted so it would look better when I did sell it, but I would imagine in a few years time MK4 Astra's wouldn't be worth a rite lot and and wouldn't add to the value of the car overall, in fact If i did have the front end resprayed I can imagine many people would go on about how my car has had a front ender.

Even though I do love my car Im not going to be keeping it forever so I opted out for getting paint work done.
Saying that if it was a car I'd be looking to keep for ages then I most likely would have the respray, as I wouldnt be doing it to make the car more valuable money wise, more valuable to me instead if that makes any sense.

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
richc

12th Apr 10 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it detailed will look good enough
aron

12th Apr 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was at this exact crossroads with my corsa, it was either throw money away on paint or sell up and move on.

i would seriously consider returning it to standard and selling the bits, unless of course you love the car enough to stick with the project.
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam thats what my dad also said and i said well if i had a 6-7k car and that happened id be mega pissed off.

Dean people have started noticing the defects especially rust thats starting around the wiper and its pisses me off when people pick out faults like stone chips and scratches.I say to people when they mention a defect ffs is a 12 year old car that gets used every day in all weathers man its not gonna be perfect.
cjohnson

12th Apr 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was polishing mine yesterday, and noticed more and more rust creeping allover the car, the winter really has taken it's tole on it! . Some tiny spots have grown, and some spots have just appeared from nowhere!

Was annoying me yesterday and was really contemplating a respray. Have been quoted £1,000 by the lad that did the welding and painting. That's just the outside.

But my Dad said exactly the same thing, don't bother, it just really isn't worth the cost for the time you will probably keep the car!
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do love the car and its still my 1st car had it 3 and a half years and couldnt bare to see it been thrashed around by someone else thats one of the reasons why i cant let it go.

Also noticed a large rusty hole in the rear beam so thats gonna need to be changed before its next MOT
DERV-POWER

12th Apr 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not get any dints done then get it wrapped
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 2 tint dents barley noticeable tbh its mainly rust on the boot and the crap front bumper and flaking rear bumper that bothers me the most.

Thinking of having the rear wiper removed and smoothed off as thats the main part of rusting.
Jambo

12th Apr 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its an everyday car it will come to annoying harm. Older cars are money pits, either go all out project and get a daily hack... Or sell up buy a newer car in excellent condition
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt really afford to insure,tax,mot,run 2 cars tbh mate my job isnt exactly secure.

Known my luck if i do get a full spray some divvy will go into the back of me or summit.
Dale

12th Apr 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
if its an everyday car it will come to annoying harm. Older cars are money pits, either go all out project and get a daily hack... Or sell up buy a newer car in excellent condition

couldn't agree more, i have spent a fortune on monty and i haven't even had it a year yet...... amazing how it all adds up! This is part the reason why i never used him as a daily driver (anymore)

If its what you want i would do it but keep the car to get the most out of it

[Edited on 12-04-2010 by DRS]
Mark.W

12th Apr 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend a fortune on it over the past 5-6 weeks

Just taxed it £190
New remus center silencer £118
New wheels £300
2 new tyres £110
4-2-1 manifold and fitment £235
Big brake upgrade £145
New suspension £330

Havnt done this to increase the value of my car,its just trying to get it how i want it minus the tax

[Edited on 12-04-2010 by wooly101uk]
Jamie-C

12th Apr 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New wheels £300 Softstars?

I think a respray in a non Vauxhall colour would be , I say go for it! I'm planning on getting the Polo done but me and my dad are going to strip it and do the sanding which will bring the cost down a lot.

Give the Corsa a new lease of life
Joe

12th Apr 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just leave it, get the new bumper fitted and paint the bad bits? No need to do the lot, it's only a Corsa and I know your not doing it to make money but one day you will realise £1000 for nothing is quite a bit...
Andrew

12th Apr 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I'd get the respray and then be extra careful about choosing parking spaces.

This is the only way. I try and park where other vehicles won't and if they do it's for the same reason to avoid twats opening doors onto your panels. My pug has two, one i was unlucky as a wheel chair hit it when i was picking my nan up and the other when i was at the pictures one night. Prime example there, teenages with money to throw about and not a care in the world. Not too bad in 50k.. Still has a keyed wing and big graze on the bonnet though,
Mark.W

13th Apr 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think il see how much its gonna cost to sort the bits of rust and paint bother bumpers and go from there,might not bother having the bumper trims & arches painted and just put up with having to keep using sprays & gels to black them up as i was quoted £250 for just that done last year.

3CorsaMeal

13th Apr 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fix it up yourself as best as you can and spend the money on power instead, something nice and prestine always gets ruined and its more fun driving a car then looking at it.

someone else always has a nice car to look at

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Debating on a respray! 23 database queries in 0.0164480 seconds