corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oil Catch Tank?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Oil Catch Tank?
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th May 10 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, can't remember the last time I posted something on here! But I know that CS has some knowledgable petrol heads

Anyway, I've recently fitted a gas flowed cylinder head to my 106 GTi, along with having the head skimmed to Increase compression. But now the thing is back together, it seems to like pissing oil out of the breather pipe and straight into the air filter...I'm presuming this is due to increased crank pressure or somthing?

But anyway, is it just a case of purchasing a oil catch can? And also, how exactly do they work? Do you just keep checking them and when they're full, empty it back into the oil?

Any help appreciated

A pic for good measure...

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Ojc

5th May 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, saw you the other week on the road back into Reading from Wallingford.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cool, I do look out for your Astra! I think theres another Nurburg one around Reading though. I keep flashing it, lol

Corsa C Z20Let

Jack1.6valver

5th May 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mate youve got the jist of it,pretty sure i've seen recirculating ones on a couple of rally cars but you just look to see how full it is,they usually have a guage of some sort. Bought 1 yesterday for das valver
Jack1.6valver

5th May 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and i wouldnt empty it back into the engine,just top it up with some fresh.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, so are those £25 ones on eBay ok? I guess the things only gotta hold some oil. What did you do with the other end aswell, Just leave it open to the air?

Corsa C Z20Let

Jack1.6valver

5th May 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno mate not fitted it yet,i have 2 hoses going in so it hope theres a breather somewhere.Got the square anodised red one off the bay,should look the part.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, So if there isn't a breather, will it still work okay? Or does the cam cover need to release the pressure?

Corsa C Z20Let

Nic Barnes

5th May 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it mostly just gets filled with condensation from the vapor. If oil is pouring out your breather i would suggest there is something wrong.
DAZ1985

5th May 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates selling one on ebay now 2nd hand like the one above with some silicon pipe. Chad.69 think his username is. Alot of people that have them re locate the battery too as it can be a pain to mount
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, hope there's not anything wrong. Although quite a bit of oil does come out..but if the piston rings were shot I doubt it would run as well as it does..

Corsa C Z20Let

sand-eel

5th May 10 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of those catch tanks are seperators too, so the oily vapour turns back into oil and you can then connect the outlet back into the inlet manifold/plenum without having to block it, or you can put a small airfilter on the end of the outlet on the catch tank and block the inlet manifold/plenum hole.
Jack1.6valver

5th May 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
it mostly just gets filled with condensation from the vapor. If oil is pouring out your breather i would suggest there is something wrong.

i second that,i'm only geting a fine vapour mist which turns into purpley condensate.
DAZ1985

5th May 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
hmm, hope there's not anything wrong. Although quite a bit of oil does come out..but if the piston rings were shot I doubt it would run as well as it does..

some are prone to breathing heavy, stick a catch tank on and see how much over how many miles etc

mate for sale

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160429127423&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oil Catch Tank? 23 database queries in 0.0241909 seconds