corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refined Detail -v- Merc CLK63 AMG Black Edition

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Refined Detail -v- Merc CLK63 AMG Black Edition
Rich H

User status: Offline
21st May 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well for the last couple of days I've been working in automotive heaven!

A Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black Edition which the owner wanted me to help him bring it as close to concorse as possible. Well, that was the original plan anyway, but after the initial clean up we discovered stone chips, 2 small dents and a scratch which had all appeared during a recent trip to France. Needless to say the owner was gutted so instead the decision was to get it as immaculate as possible in 2 days and he'll get the rest rectified in the future.

No correction work was to be carried out as the car has Supaguard applied (properly!) so he wants to maintain that for the moment. I did still carry out machine work to one panel to remove the scratch and the front bumper to remove some insect etchings.

My photos are limited (and some on my phone) due to time constraints and for privacy to the client - as you will see I have blanked out the plates as per usual and some of the backgrounds - I haven't doctored the photos in any other way though.

First up was a thorough clean up before tucking it away in the large garage to start on the "proper" work.

So, wheels first, these were coming off once in the garage, but I still gave them a decent clean up on the car to make life easier later on in the day. Arches, tyres and wheels were soaked with G101, agitated with various brushes and rinsed off. The entire car (inc, arches and wheels again) were then soaked with a thick mix of ValetPro Snowfoam Combo, left to dwell whilst I filled the wash buckets and rinsed off.

Car washed with Autosmart Autowash, Refined Detail washmitt via 2 bucket method and grit guards, then rinsed off and dried with Refined Detail waffle weave drying towels. Panels were de-tarred with Autosmart Tardis, there was no need for claying as the paintwork was super smooth already, and I didn't want to run the unnecessary risk of stripping the Supaguard. The car was then tucked away in the garage and the client jacked the car up for me and removed the wheels. Wheels were then cleaned properly, inside and out and sealed with 2 coats of Supaguard wheel sealant. Arches, brake assembly and suspension (anything that could be reached within the arch basically) were cleaned with Autosmart G101 and various brushes. Arches were dressed with Autosmart Rubber & Plastic Dressing, suspension wiped down with Autosmart Tango and calipers sealed with Supaguard Wheel Sealant.

Whilst the rear end of the car was in the air I cleaned under the rear diffuser, the backboxes, spare wheel well etc etc. All wiped down with G101 then Tango. Backboxes weren't polished as not the right sort of finish. Tips were with Autosol and fine wire wool:

I also cleaned right under the sills again with G101 and Tango - these were later waxed too.

Next up was to tackle the defects. The scratch covered a whole panel - this was machined with 3M Fast Cut Plus on a 3M Green compounding pad via rotary, then again with 3M Extra Fine on a 3M Yellow polishing pad, then refined with 3M Ultrafina on a 3M Blue finishing pad. The front bumper was machined with 3M Extra Fine on a 3M Yellow polishing pad which removed all the etchings of kamikaze bugs nicely. Headlights also got a quick pass whilst doing the front bumper:

The whole car was then polished with Supaguard protectant cream (iirc the name!!) - my god this stuff is hard work - and makes a right mess (dusty)

By this point due to the amount of dust gathering in all the shuts, panel gaps etc, I went around everywhere with a detailing brush and cloth. Door shuts were cleaned properly with a drop of G101 and again with Tango. I then started on the engine bay. Again G101, under the bonnet with Tango, all plastics with Aerospace 303 Protectant which was later buffed off to leave it looking as natural as possible:

I then applied the first coat of wax to the exterior to enhance the gloss and add further protection. Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub was my choice of LSP this time. This was left to cure for 15 minutes whilst I did various other menial tasks then buffed off. I called it a day at this point.

Day 2.

Another coat of wax applied upon arrival and left to cure for a good couple of hours whilst I tackled the interior.

Interior thoroughly hoovered (rear access is interesting on these - seats only slide forward and don't tilt, and there's no rear seats to sit on!) front seats are velcro like too. All plastics were then wiped down with Autosmart Multifresh and left as were the pedals. Carbon trim and seat backs were waxed with Collinite 476s. Sat nav screen, brushed metal trim and instrument panel tidied up with Autosmart Stardust:

I then returned to the exterior buffing off the 2nd coat of wax. Tyres were dressed with Autosmart Trim Wizard and buffed off to leave an "as new" finish. Glass cleaned with Nielsens Blue Window Clean.

Everything was given a final dust down and wheeled outside to check for smears in daylight and given a quick wipe down with Autosmart Reglaze.

Typically it accumulated a fair bit of dust when outside for the final wipe down, so once back inside it was given yet another wipe down and a quick coat of Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical.

By far and away my favourite car I've worked on to date, and am already in talks with the owner about future work - it could do with some machine work as there are swirls and imo it'd look better with a decent carnauba LSP rather than the Supaguard too - the maintenance using just Supaguard safe products or their aftercare kit isn't that easy either.

Thanks for looking. Comments, questions and constructive criticism welcome as per usual
Neil Dagens

21st May 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

literally dribbling on the screen

i want that

a lot

Great work mate
BarnshaW

21st May 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what an awesome awesome car, if i won big money this would be my dream car, love it. ace job.
Jez_B

21st May 10 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing cars, amazing job.
Daveskater
Premium Member

21st May 10 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite possibly some of your best work yet by the looks of it

Absolutely fan-fapping-tastic

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
adiohead

21st May 10 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not usually a fan of mercs, but....

WOW!

stunning work
fir3vip3r

21st May 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
I'm not usually a fan of mercs, but....

WOW!

stunning work

This!

Also judging by the standard of work your doing, your going to be a force to be reckoned with in the industry! I wish you all the best, its nice to see people are so passionate about what they do! and full credit to you, Top job
Jambo

21st May 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*schpunker*
Rich H

21st May 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

Have to say, 3rd full year in and I'm loving it, very privileged to be working on some awesome cars, this particular one has lead to some interesting leads for the future too. Currently looking to the end of June before I have any free slots too, so must be doing something right

Really can't wait to give this one the once over with the rotary though - should look awesome. It's my aim to be taken out in this at some point too lol - the noise just moving it out the garage is
N16K

21st May 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lush car, great job.
Fro

21st May 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a car! and what a good job you've done on it mate, very impressive
John

21st May 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work as usual. Some machine.
Ben G

21st May 10 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, what a car! the amount of carbon on that beautiful.
deano87

22nd May 10 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely stunning.
jamied

22nd May 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome car, without sounding like fast and furious.. Whats the retail on one of those?
How much do they for second hand?
Nick-S

22nd May 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats absolutly stunning. Nice work as always to Rich
Ben G

22nd May 10 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamied
awesome car, without sounding like fast and furious.. Whats the retail on one of those?
How much do they for second hand?

i'm sure it's 100k+
JayCarr

22nd May 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome car that is now awesomely clean Love it.
Jambo

22nd May 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don' see the point the owner must be a huge twat and get wasted at the lights by a sik corsa wiv LET Xe'd tbz 400bhp wiked phat man
Ben G

22nd May 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah supercars have no point. my mate who has a metro beat them of his lights with his brap brap 2 litre in.

cost him 5k, looks like a twat and doesn't get any nice girl but it beats ferrari's so all is good

[Edited on 22-05-2010 by Ben G]
adiohead

22nd May 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

supercars are for losers with no money.
Hammer

22nd May 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely stunning car.
Ingham
Banned

22nd May 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fappetyfapfap.
Daveskater
Premium Member

22nd May 10 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Jonny - well put

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Rich H

22nd May 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, been rather busy all day

No idea how much they are worth tbh, but yes over the £100k mark I'm sure. Rather less than his previous car that's for sure

And this isn't his daily - that's a CL55 AMG!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refined Detail -v- Merc CLK63 AMG Black Edition 23 database queries in 0.0222130 seconds