corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media Center. Fully F*%$ing Awesome!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media Center. Fully F*%$ing Awesome!
gooner_47

User status: Offline
31st May 10 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just followed this guide to setting up Windows 7 Media Server, and making it look all pretty and nice like...

It's a fair bit of work to get it all set up but the end result is well worth it. You get purdy pictures, both the DVD covers and background images, and you get descriptions of the movies, along with actor info and stuff like that. Also you can select one of the actors and bring up a list of all the other films you've got on your computer that they're in.

You can even set up trailers (last three screenshots) and watch them full screen or against the backdrop image, to help convince the missus what you're watching for the night I love it, need to get my TV series sorted now

Doug

31st May 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks pretty good!

If you have media centre set up like that when you stream stuff to an Xbox does it display like that?
jamied

31st May 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ace, but would take something awesome to sway me from PS3 Mediaserver. Are the DVD covers from DVD rips or ISO or MKVs?
Bart

31st May 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point Jamied, does it handle MKV's, BDMV and TS files?
Bart

31st May 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

Jamied, what PS3 media server do you have?
Dom

31st May 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can play pretty much anything with WMC, although some files (BDMV etc) requires external software like powerDVD or Arcsoft Total Media Theatre (can be made near enough seamless).

to be honest, power consumption alone would make me look at a HTPC rather than a PS3 for playing back content - PS3 200w, HTPC around 40/50w (Atom ION board).

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by Dom]
noshua

31st May 10 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason why you chose W7MC over a similar piece of software such as XBMC?
Bart

31st May 10 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You can play pretty much anything with WMC, although some files (BDMV etc) requires external software like powerDVD or Arcsoft Total Media Theatre (can be made near enough seamless).

This is one of the reasons why I turned away from WMC.
I wanted to play files regardless of format, I didnt want to be watching one in VLC player, one in WMC and another in Power DVD. I wanted something that would boot up in seconds and hit the play button, playing any file format I could throw at it, not fcuking about with 3rd party software etc.

Popcorn Hour C200 FTW

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by Bart]
Dom

31st May 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can set it up so that it's pretty much seamless, ie: you press play and the film loads up fullscreen, press stop and you're back into WMC.
If you need more live tv features (Picture in Picture etc) then Myth TV is better, likewise XMBC/Boxee/Plex is probably slighty better on the play downloaded/ripped media (iirc, they don't have live tv support). But WMC is a decent middle ground, it's free and it doesn't look too shabby on a 42"+ screen
Dom

31st May 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Any reason why you chose W7MC over a similar piece of software such as XBMC?

I've tried XMBC and i didn't think it was that nice to use, mainly because it lagged a bit compared to WMC7 and the addon plugins for XMBC are pretty much cack (think i found a weather plugin that actually looked ok). Boxee is better but limited. MythTV is the one i'd ultimately look at, i don't think it's as slick at WMC but it blows it out of the water functionality-wise. Although i found setup to be a bit of a pain in the arse, mainly because my knowledge on linux is limited.
Graham88

31st May 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks so good! But I have no idea what anyone is talking about so I'm just going to keep looking at the pictures
Dom

31st May 10 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Looks so good! But I have no idea what anyone is talking about so I'm just going to keep looking at the pictures

Google HTPC (Home Theatre PC), in essence a dedicated PC connected to your TV to play media/watch live TV. Although it can get a lot more complicated than that - i've played with someone’s install that linked HTPC with home automation, so you'd press a 'movie' button (he had a crestron remote) and the lights dimmed, projector screen came out of the ceiling, blinds closed etc You could also watch/listen to anything around the house, so he'd pause live tv in the lounge and then continue to watch it in the study/kitchen/bedroom/bathroom, or watch a film anywhere or set something to record in the kitchen come back later and watch it in the bedroom. It wasn't cheap and he i remember saying it was an arse to install and get everything working correctly, but it certainly was impressive and it had its uses.
Toby
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wmc has come along way on the last few years. I'm going to have to get a new media player soon. My pch a110th is almost two years old and is.struggling with a jukebox with 700 films and growing
jamied

31st May 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Jamied, what PS3 media server do you have?

i use my pc and a program called ps3 media server that streams just about every format, e.g. MKV,ISO,1080p etc etc easily and works very well. have a go with it, see what you think.
noshua

1st Jun 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

I've tried XMBC and i didn't think it was that nice to use, mainly because it lagged a bit compared to WMC7 and the addon plugins for XMBC are pretty much cack (think i found a weather plugin that actually looked ok). Boxee is better but limited. MythTV is the one i'd ultimately look at, i don't think it's as slick at WMC but it blows it out of the water functionality-wise. Although i found setup to be a bit of a pain in the arse, mainly because my knowledge on linux is limited.

Was you using the LiveCD? You can install XBMC on Windows and Mac as well as Linux.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 10 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just started using WMC, so got the default skins and stuff - any good webpages/guides for customising appearance?

I turned to WMC so I could clear up some shelf real-estate for my new bluray purchases, so all my SD films are on my PC now. Don't wanna rip BD as my PC connects to amp with a coax cable which won't send HDAudio, at least until I get a graphics card with audio over HDMI!

What does everyone use for ripping their DVDs too? I used AnyDVD but it was on a 21day trial which just ended. Any free alternatives?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
noshua

2nd Jun 10 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you encoding the DVD rips or having them stored in VOB format?

Doom9 has some good tutorials on DVD backup - http://www.doom9.org/guides.htm
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Jun 10 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Are you encoding the DVD rips or having them stored in VOB format?

Doom9 has some good tutorials on DVD backup - http://www.doom9.org/guides.htm

I was ripping them with AnyDVD - into the .vob format.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Whittie

8th Nov 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UI of this looks awesome
Brett
Premium Member

8th Nov 10 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I'd install this, then get TunerFreeMCE for all the iplayer, etc. and chuck a tv card in there to get the recording functionality. Just done similar with a Vista machine.
Whittie

8th Nov 10 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you have the same setup for CD albums, photo's and other features that the box i've been looking at?

What have you actually installed mate
ajscorsa

18th Nov 10 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there anywhere I can find a tutorial to set it up like this?
gooner_47

18th Nov 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a link in my original post mate.
A2H GO

18th Nov 10 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I setup WMC but it was un-useably slow. Not sure whether it was my latop or internet connection so i went back to streaming though my xbox which ive never had any problems with.
stubs

18th Nov 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you play Blu-Ray & DVD iso's?
I was thinking about getting a Dune Media player, but may consider building a Media Centre instead

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll