corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Back Brake Upgrade

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Back Brake Upgrade
Tyler

User status: Offline
8th Jun 10 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fancy upgrading the back brakes on my 09 Corsa Sxi from drum to disc. Any ideas how easy/difficult this might be?
DannyB
Premium Member

8th Jun 10 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why?drums on that will be sufficent.
dean101287

8th Jun 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im guessing because he wants to? Look for models that come with rear discs, make sure they are the same stud patern ect and keep and eye out in the scrappys and take the whole rear beam ect...
DannyB
Premium Member

8th Jun 10 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dean101287
Im guessing because he wants to?

No shit sherlock, but what's the point when it's not needed. It's a 1.2 engine, drums are more than capable. Save yourself hassle and keep the drums imo.
dean101287

8th Jun 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You asked why. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer "sherlock".
DannyB
Premium Member

8th Jun 10 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a perfectly viable question, I'm asking why he wants to when it isnt needed. To look good?
Sean-B

8th Jun 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa vxr will surely have rear disks, get the rear beam off of that and fit it, simple
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Jun 10 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
corsa vxr will surely have rear disks, get the rear beam off of that and fit it, simple

The VXR is 5 stud - I'd guess the SXI is 4 stud.
Tyler

9th Jun 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks all,
The engine is a 1.4 but I intend to upgrade it. I've already sorted the suspension and think its always a good idea to sort out suspension and brakes before you go faster. You're right that the VXR is 5 stud and I don't want to either mix and match wheels or run different tyre widths. I was thinking of removing the back drive shafts or the beam but I want to keep 4 stud for the alloys I've got. Currently running on K&N's, superchip and sportex exhaust by the way.
scott235

9th Jun 10 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not do a five stud conversion all round that way ul get the big brakes from the vxr all round
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure i read once that drums were actually better in operation then discs, but discs are used more now because they are cheaper and easier to service parts

plus people assume they are better so are used as a selling point on higher models

[Edited on 09-06-2010 by Steve]
Tyler

9th Jun 10 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe you're right but I though discs had a greater braking efficiency.
will do some research
cheers

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Back Brake Upgrade 22 database queries in 0.0111620 seconds