corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Electrical whizzes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electrical whizzes
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Jun 10 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Considering making up this electric diagram

The 12v will be from the +ve on a car battery. Am I right in thinking this will work in place for the "regulator"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7808-Voltage-Regulator-x-2-pieces-7808-/350358288101?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5192fb36e5

Apparently thats rated at 12v to 8v step regulation.

Also does the -ve mean the - from the battery? and 0 volts = ground?

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by Steve]
Dom

16th Jun 10 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0v is ground, -ve looks like an input from the neg side of a HT lead Going by the V Out (and the fact the LM2917 is frequency to voltage converter) im assuming this converts RPM to a voltage (0-8v, 0-8krpm).
But yes that reg should work - pin 1 to +12v, pin 2 to 0v ground, pin 3 is the output (+8v). I would heatsink the reg as well.

edit - found a related thread - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=30186&page=5 as well as the original page - http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mdobruck/siililand/mini/diy/alien/tacho/tacho.html

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by Dom]
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the -ve is from negative ht, anyone any ideas where i could pick that signal up from?
oceansoul

16th Jun 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that not -ve on the LT side?

I wouldnt want to be putting the Volts of the HT lead on the IC
Dom

16th Jun 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Is that not -ve on the LT side?

I wouldnt want to be putting the Volts of the HT lead on the IC

LT?
You have a point though, HT voltage won't do the IC any favours
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LT side?
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently according to an electronics forum

"The -ve is from the 'low' end of the ignition coil. the one that goes from the contact breaker contacts."

someone explain that to me please

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by Steve]
Dom

17th Jun 10 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly the ground side from the contact breaker? Could always get a DVM on that side and see what the voltage is....
Although this seems like serious ballache to convert the RPM to a voltage, it would be easier to grab something like an Arduino development board and try and convert the 'pulse' (or something other output from the ECU perhaps) that goes to rev counter....

Edit - Actually it could be the line from the ignition coil to contact breaker as that *should* be 12v

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by Dom]
oceansoul

17th Jun 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Edit - Actually it could be the line from the ignition coil to contact breaker as that *should* be 12v

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by Dom]

This i belive. But that circuit looks as if its for an old fashioned car with a dizzy and points and coil n all that. A modern engine should give an RPM signal from either the coil pack, or the ECU.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres 3 wires i believe going into my coilpack would it be one of them
ed

17th Jun 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rev counters usually take their signal from the ground point of the coil pack - that's where the famous pea green wire comes from on the Corsa.

You could in theory make up a rev counter/shift light arrangement by wrapping some copper wire around the outside of your HT lead to get your frequency, then it can go to your frequency to voltage IC.
ed

17th Jun 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(I should say that I do know that on a lot of cars now the rev count comes from engine sensors and the ECU before the pedant police turn up)
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i stick a multimeter on one of the rev counter wires what am i looking for? a pulsating reading?
Rob_Quads

17th Jun 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you using this to drive? This circuit is probably only suitable for low current devices.
ed

17th Jun 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd need an oscilloscope really. A multimeter will be too slow and doesn't have very high resolution.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have an ocsilloscope lol.

hmm if i could work out where to get that input id be sorted
oceansoul

17th Jun 10 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
if i stick a multimeter on one of the rev counter wires what am i looking for? a pulsating reading?

Na, you'll be needing to measure the frequency which i doubt your multimeter could update fast enough. Ideally you want to use an oscilloscope.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking about it doesn the cigarette lighters voltage pulse?

eg. how do them sound devices generate sound to match your revs from the cigarette lighter?
oceansoul

17th Jun 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Na, you'll be needing to measure the frequency which i doubt your multimeter could update fast enough. Ideally you want to use an oscilloscope.

EDIT: Too slow.

I guess the 3 wires will be the 12V LT side into the dispak, the earth, and the 3rd MIGHT be a signal from the ECU when to fire hmm idk actually.
ed

17th Jun 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
What are you using this to drive? This circuit is probably only suitable for low current devices.
Could drive anything though as you could use an LED straight off of it or any number of things with a suitable transistor or relay.
ed

17th Jun 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your car not already have a rev counter though?
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes im messing about making a sequential led shift light, the parts are only a few quid and i reckon i might be able to sell a few as the ones you buy cheapest is like 90 quid
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

EDIT: Too slow.

I guess the 3 wires will be the 12V LT side into the dispak, the earth, and the 3rd MIGHT be a signal from the ECU when to fire hmm idk actually.

in that case couldnt i just take a point from the 12v LT wire? how would i determine which that wire is?
oceansoul

17th Jun 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly. Im not too sure how a dispak works though. If inside it is the same setup as a coil and points etc then that might work. However i have a feeling it's all sold state decives and may not work the same way.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, well back to the cigarette lighter, how do them sound generators alter the sound based on your revs purely from the lighter socket? surely the voltage must pulse there too?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll