corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Remap Thoughts... safe?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Remap Thoughts... safe?
Bart

User status: Offline
17th Jun 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im considering getting my car remapped, but would like to do so as safely as possible.

Im trying to decided between to companies, and the biggest difference is cost vs reputation.

Alot of people are recommending DMS which is £800+ VAT where as Pro Chip are offering it for just £300 if I get my windows tinted with them (which is what I was originally looking to do).

Ive never done anything like this before, and im slightly worried about someone over pressuring the turbo and it not lasting 6 months.

When I spoke to the guy at PC, he said
quote:

"A key thing to think about is we never over map any vehicle, we reconfigure the ECU so it produces even fuel boosting lower down in the rev range putting less strain on the turbo overall. So don't worry, your turbo will be fine."

Would it be safe to assume that Pro-Chip are a good/safe company, am I being over cautious?
If anyone has any thoughts/comments, it would be appreciated
Adam_B

17th Jun 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car is it?
mwg

17th Jun 10 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before I had mine done I asked around on the Audi forums to get feedback from other people that had theirs done and see who with and if they recommend them and made a choice based on that.
Bart

17th Jun 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BMW 535d (twin turbo)
It's 282bhp standard, and I'm told can easily achieve 350 safely
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes get it done without a doubt
Bart

17th Jun 10 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Yes get it done without a doubt

Thats all well and good, but I dont want to be replacing a turbo this time next year, is it safe?

Being a geek, I can only compare it to overclocking a PC, of course there is safe and dangerous over clocking.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure the ECU wouldn't allow anything to run at intolerable levels anyway. Mine just cuts out and gets ECU light if I turn things up too high.

I've had every turbo car I've owned remapped, no problems.

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by loafofbrett]
broster
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv done a few of these now, and yes it does make a difference who you use, i know all our maps are 100% safe on them. there are cheaper than dms, but dms are very good, if you want to travel to northampton i can do it for you. main difference may not be safety but more drivability, the difference with a good map and a poor map is hugely noticeable!

one thing to watch out for on these is the turbos you dont want them over speeding etc, ever priced up new ones?!

once remapped they are very very quick cars! give me e39 a run for its money!

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by broster]

New Poll