corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » URGENT: Camber Bolts AGAIN (following on from last week)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author URGENT: Camber Bolts AGAIN (following on from last week)
Rich H

User status: Offline
26th Jun 10 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Following on from last weeks thread:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=563870

I spoke to the garage last night who fitted them / did the alignment. They asked me to take a look at it today and let them know before the close at lunch if I have found anything obvious.

I personally can't see anything obvious as they both appear the same, and there isn't any movement in the hubs etc if I hold them top and bottom and rock towards and away from me - only movement side to side like I was moving the steering wheel.

Couple of pics:

OSF:

NSF:

Anybody?

Cheers

Rich
broster
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant really tell from the picture, but with the wheels on and car on the floor do the wheels both have the same angle on them? also wit hthe wheel on and the car jacked up is there any in any direction?

mark
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NS wheel points inwards slightly with wheel straight when on the ground. Didn't check with them in the air - I'd presume the same tbh?
broster
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its how they sit on the floor to be fair, you would want them both sitting the same.

but the symptons you has would point to something being loose and moving. any knocks bangs etc? did you check for any play?

[Edited on 26-06-2010 by broster]
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I could tell something wasn't right by both the way it was behaving whilst driving and also the way the wheel pointed slightly inwards when parked up.

No knocks / bangs out of the ordinary. I've had a knock on full lock at slow speeds for a while - which I believe is a sign of something wearing? Just wonder if the camber bolts have sped up the wearing process?

Only play seems to be in the actual steering when it's all back on the ground with the wheels on - straight line can be anything between 9 and 1 'o' clock position?

Beginning to think I may have something expensive on it's way out
broster
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the tracking like? thats what id be looking at.
Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's it been set up to?
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 secs, I'll scan in the alignment sheet I was given of before and after - they set it up as close to a standard Corsa B as they could apparently.
broster
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds to me that somethings moved, not hit anything like a big pot hole etc? if it drove nice when it was done and now it doesnt then id deffinatly say its not how it is on the sheet.
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the printout:

Nope didn't hit any big potholes - I always avoid them lol.

It happened on the way back from the Pod - even then I was on motorways / main roads other than the last little bit around the Pod where's it's all country roads. Thing is, most the roads round my way are like that, so if they move on roads like that, they need to come off anyway!
Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have anything that would point at a tracking issue - feathering of tyre edges, steering wheel not centring etc?
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres are fine, it's been tracked so many times since fitting that Bilstein suspension

Immediately after fitting the Bilsteins (around 500 miles ago) it threw the tracking out so much it was adjusted to be driveable as it needed a new track rod arm to be done properly.

New track rod arm fitted and then tracked properly, camber was out which is standard with the Bilsteins.

Since that, drove about 200 miles and got the camber bolts fitted and tracked again (and alignment to get camber set up as good as possible) then drove to PVS and back and a mates house and back (again a further 200 - 250 miles)

So it's done very little mileage in between each tracking session, but I've had my reasons to do it each time.

ATM, yes you can feel both wheels "fighting" around corners to steer in a straight line is anything between 9 and 1 'o' clock position etc.

Steering wheel straight in the car = OSF straight, NSF pointing inwards marginally.

[Edited on 26-06-2010 by Rich H]
3CorsaMeal

26th Jun 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i usually look at where the nuts/heads of bolts touch the bracket on the shock.

it might be harder to see as they haven't been on long, but when mine had slipped/moved recently you could see the old position of the bolt, it had only moved a few mm but changed the camber on wheel alot.
Jake

26th Jun 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the nut on one side looks like its further in than the other side
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just went and had another nose at them - they are both on there pretty tight - certainly can't move them by hand and not easily with a spanner - didn't try too hard obviously!

The angled washer on the NSF sits at about 4 / 5 'o' clock, the washer on the OSF at around 3 'o' clock - are these meant to be the same both sides? There is more paint flaking off the NS strut where the bolt head tightens to...
Mark.W

26th Jun 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take them off rich,they are not woth the hassle or money if you ask me and im having more bother with my bilstein shockers

Wont be buying bilstein suspension again i know that.
Nic Barnes

26th Jun 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
The angled washer on the NSF sits at about 4 / 5 'o' clock, the washer on the OSF at around 3 'o' clock - are these meant to be the same both sides? There is more paint flaking off the NS strut where the bolt head tightens to...

they are meant to locate wherever they do to bring the camber back in to spec. it shouldnt matter at all if they arent the same as long as the resulting camber both sides is same.
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that was the case Nic, but was just checking - cheers

Wooly (Mark?) - I don't have an issue with the suspension itself, it's superb, it's the bolts that are causing me hassle I am tempted to remove them and put up with the camber - it didn't seem to cause any issue with the tyres after the 300 miles or so I drove, I won't be doing massive mileage in it anyway!
Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not take it back, highlight your concerns and have them check it?

I dare say you could botch up a rough test? Maybe bang the wheels back on, drive it so you know it has settled, park it on perfectly level ground and hang a plumb bob from a ruler? If you do it that way and the measurements are off it let's you know something has moved.
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's going back Thursday, they just asked me to look at it today and let them know if I can see anything obvious. I think the general opinion is no

I don't want to do anything to it in case the accuse me of causing it
Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wouldn't be doing anything to it. I mean having your wheels on, lying a ruler on the top of your tyre, hanging out of the arch (assuming it's high enough?) and dangling a plumb bob on a string from the ruler and seeing what protrusion the ruler has when the plumb bob touches the lowest part of the wheels face if you get me?

It's just a lash up rudimentary thought for having a rough measure, you aren't undoing or removing anything!
Rich H

26th Jun 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok I get you

I'll see what I can do tomorrow with that - run out of time to try it today lol.

Cheers for the advice everyone - spoken to the garage again - they said the first thing they'll do is put it back on the alignment and see how far out it is, then see from there what may have caused it. Will keep this posted for peoples future reference in case anybody else has the same sort of issue!
DERV-POWER

26th Jun 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you checked the steering rack mounts and get some one to shake the steering while your looking at the bulkhead to make sure nothing moving
Gareth F

27th Jun 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rich just run the camber and deal with it like me
Ive got new top mounts as mine may be goosed due to the dodgey gaz coilovers i had
Rich H

27th Jun 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm determined to try and get these bastard things to work properly

I had new top mounts fitted when the new suspension went on btw

[Edited on 27-06-2010 by Rich H]

New Poll