corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What do I do?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do I do?
will_doyle
Banned

User status: Offline
5th Jul 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I bought this car about 3 months ago

a few days after I bought it, it started to over heat.

So I took it to the garage and they said it needed a new rad.

days after they fitted that it was still over heating.

So I took it to another garage and they said it needed a new Headgasket.

He also changed the cambelt, and oil filter

Car now has been running ok

But since he fitted all that I seem to have been topping alot of oil

Maybe a Liter every 3 weeks.

And yesterday my mate said blue smoke was coming out the exhaust.

Also, my Engine management light has been coming on and off recently

I really dont know what to do.

It is such a nice car, but stuff keeps going wrong.

I am booked in the garage this weds

I spent £120 on the rad

£650 on the headgasket etc

and £1700 on the car

I really don't want to get rid of it, cos I love it!

It might be the oil pressure switch? or valve stem seals?

[Edited on 05-07-2010 by will_doyle]
metterz123

6th Jul 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

valve steam seals mate
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These engine are known to use quite a lot of oil Wil. How many miles do you do roughly over a 3 week period? Does it smoke at all?
will_doyle
Banned

6th Jul 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by metterz123
valve steam seals mate

thats what a few people have said

urmm

maybe about 15 - 30 miles aday

here is a video of me reving it first thing in morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rW5ohpIBlY

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by will_doyle]
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any smoke under acceleration when driving at all? Also does it smell when running?

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by shaunmods]
will_doyle
Banned

6th Jul 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
Any smoke under acceleration when driving at all? Also does it smell when running?

na

not really
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm. Was you driving along when your mate saw the blue smoke coming out of it? Its burning oil so its going to be either valve stem seals or piston rings I'd say. Going by the video you've posted though it seems to be under acceleration. I'd get a compression test done to make sure the rings aren't worn first Will

will_doyle
Banned

6th Jul 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hmm. Was you driving along when your mate saw the blue smoke coming out of it? Its burning oil so its going to be either valve stem seals or piston rings I'd say. Going by the video you've posted though it seems to be under acceleration. I'd get a compression test done to make sure the rings aren't worn first Will

I was just parked up mate

do most garages do them compression tests?

cheers mate
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah pretty much anywhere should be able to sort you one out bud. Or you could buy a tester from somewhere like ebay and try it yourself. Its pretty simple to do as long as you can get a mate to give you an extra pair of hands. If the results are ok you can at least rule out piston rings straight away then as that would be the worst case scenario (happened to mine )

Fingers crossed its just valve stem seals
will_doyle
Banned

6th Jul 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah pretty much anywhere should be able to sort you one out bud. Or you could buy a tester from somewhere like ebay and try it yourself. Its pretty simple to do as long as you can get a mate to give you an extra pair of hands. If the results are ok you can at least rule out piston rings straight away then as that would be the worst case scenario (happened to mine )

Fingers crossed its just valve stem seals

cool

if I did take to garage and they said it was valve step seals, how much roughly should I be looking at?
P1CK4D

6th Jul 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How ever much the garage give you the bill for.
johnhara1

7th Jul 10 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head will have to be taken off again to to the stem seals.

They may want to to head gasket and timing belt again

will_doyle
Banned

7th Jul 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I took it to the grage and he had a look.

He noticed that it was smoking and smelling when he reved it.

But he said he couldnt be the valve steam seals because they were changed when the headgasket was done and the car would be smoking when you turn the engine on and dont even rev

He just said for me to monitor the oil levels
shaunmods
Premium Member

7th Jul 10 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh bugger Like I say a compression test is the next step along with monitoring you oil consumption as chap told you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOMOTIVE-COMPRESSION-PETROL-ENGINE-VALVE-TESTER-KIT-/270469137051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3ef937829b

Thats the one I've got. All you have to do is remove all the spark plugs, disconnect the coil pack and the fuel pump relay (purple cube behind the drivers side kick panel) Then you just screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole, turn the engine over and watch how the compression rises and what PSI it reaches. As long as you've got someone who can give you a hand to turn it over while you watch the gauge its nice and easy to do.

Also, this might work as a temporary fix mate. I've just bought some for mine which I'm going to put in it until I can rebuild myself a new engine. I've not tried it yet. I'm going to do an oil change and pour this in tomorrow to see if it calms the smoking down a bit for the time being. I'll let you know if its any good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380237466991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope that helps.
McWillster

8th Jul 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
How ever much the garage give you the bill for.

Couldn't of been more arsey if you tried could you?

will_doyle
Banned

8th Jul 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ahh bugger Like I say a compression test is the next step along with monitoring you oil consumption as chap told you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOMOTIVE-COMPRESSION-PETROL-ENGINE-VALVE-TESTER-KIT-/270469137051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3ef937829b

Thats the one I've got. All you have to do is remove all the spark plugs, disconnect the coil pack and the fuel pump relay (purple cube behind the drivers side kick panel) Then you just screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole, turn the engine over and watch how the compression rises and what PSI it reaches. As long as you've got someone who can give you a hand to turn it over while you watch the gauge its nice and easy to do.

Also, this might work as a temporary fix mate. I've just bought some for mine which I'm going to put in it until I can rebuild myself a new engine. I've not tried it yet. I'm going to do an oil change and pour this in tomorrow to see if it calms the smoking down a bit for the time being. I'll let you know if its any good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380237466991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope that helps.

thanks mate

you car having same problem as mine?
will_doyle
Banned

8th Jul 10 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which is here

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=565932

On a different forum I had this reply

Lol @ telling you to monitor the oil levels, what a sodding cop out that is. Did the receipt say the valve stem oil seals were done and did you actually ask him to do them in the first place?
I notice you didn't mention it in your original post and to be perfectly honest I think you've been turned over.

Do NOT under any circumstances take them telling you to monitor the oil levels because it's an out and out cop out as said.
Here's what'll happen if you accept that: if the engine blows up they'll say you didn't monitor the oil levels correctly and if the engine doesn't blow up in the next few weeks/months any guarantee for the work done will be finished with. Meanwhile the engine will only get worse and a few months down the line you're up sh1t creek without a paddle.

Get on to Trading Standards, sound them out and ask them what your legal rights are BEFORE you even speak again to the clown who did your headgasket.

Trading standards?

what exactly would they do?

can I do anything

Edit:

I took it back to the garage yesterday, and when he reved it he could tell that it was burning oil from the smell / smoke. He just told me to monitor the oil levels

I really dont know what to do

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by will_doyle]
shaunmods
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries. Yeah mine is doing exactly the same as yours
am4nf

8th Jul 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously you must know trading standards employees by name
3CorsaMeal

8th Jul 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why would he touch the valves if just doing a headgasket?
am4nf

8th Jul 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a more serious note, did you not get a bill listing the parts they used?
shaunmods
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with what your mechanic has told you Will. If it were your valve stem seal is would smoke on start up just ticking over and on deceleration. Going by the video you've posted and from what he has said its under acceleration which suggests its the piston rings. Plus he probably would have done your valve stem seals as they would have come in the head gasket set

I can't see where the guys on the other forum are coming from to be honest. Why would changing the head gasket cause it to burn oil? If it was white smoke coming out of it I could see where they were coming from. In my opinion its completely unrelated to the work you've had done.

Also by monitoring your oil consumption you will be able to get an idea of how much it is burning over a certain period. If its not too bad you might just be able to put some additive in it and live with it. Whereas if its burning it off like crazy its going to need to be sorted.

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by shaunmods]
adiohead

8th Jul 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
why would he touch the valves if just doing a headgasket?

I agree!
What does your receipt say?

take it to a decent garage.

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by adiohead]
DaveyLC

8th Jul 10 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doyle got Doyled.
3CorsaMeal

8th Jul 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my valve stems aren't great and all i get is a bit of smoke in the morning when 1st starting car (no revs) it clears up pretty quickly, was told thats just oil seaping into the combustion chamber over night and gets burnt off in the morning

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What do I do? 23 database queries in 0.0166330 seconds