corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Make hard drive bootable

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Make hard drive bootable
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Jul 10 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to do a reinstall - no CD or floppy in the laptop, no access to external drives.

Go the drive out of it in my computer, got the data off, formatted it.

Need to get it bootable though so I can copy the XP install on and boot to the hard drive and run setup.

ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
11th Jul 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you have the harddrive out of the laptop in your own pc with access to a cd drive or did i read that wrong.

if so its a bit of a lazy way about but just unplug your other harddrives from your pc so only the one is connected and install xp to that then stick it back in the other laptop.

did that before and it worked fine.
Andrew

12th Jul 10 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use this mate, works a treat. I've a USB CD/DVD if you need to borrow one.
Andrew

12th Jul 10 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jul 10 at 07:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
so you have the harddrive out of the laptop in your own pc with access to a cd drive or did i read that wrong.

if so its a bit of a lazy way about but just unplug your other harddrives from your pc so only the one is connected and install xp to that then stick it back in the other laptop.

this, but what you need to do is as soon as it gets to this screen

unplug it from your pc and stick it back in the laptop, otherwise it will install drivers for hardware that is installed on your PC then it will blue screen when you plug it back into the laptop.

if you whip it out as soon as it gets to that stage it should continue where it left off when you put it back in the laptop

Planty02

12th Jul 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use the winnt32.exe command from the i386 folder of the windows CD. Do it through command prompt and use the these parameters:
/makelocalsource /syspart:<<Drive letter>> /tempdrive:<<drive letter>>

Then put the drive back in the laptop once its finished

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782342(WS.10).aspx
ssj_kakarot

12th Jul 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot

this, but what you need to do is as soon as it gets to this screen

unplug it from your pc and stick it back in the laptop, otherwise it will install drivers for hardware that is installed on your PC then it will blue screen when you plug it back into the laptop.

if you whip it out as soon as it gets to that stage it should continue where it left off when you put it back in the laptop

yeah lol forgot to mention the unplugging part when the install files have been copied
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jul 10 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tried that approach and got 'A disk read error occurred' when I put it in the laptop.

How do you stop it mid-install? Just pull the cable?
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jul 10 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But its fine back in the surrogate PC
John

13th Jul 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pull it out the first time it restarts after copying the files.
ssj_kakarot

13th Jul 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually am not sure if that is going to work been a while since i did it, it might ask for the windows cd during the proccess after the initial restart in which case it still no use to you.

could try and run the full install all the way through then swap it to the laptop, im almost certain i have done it like that before.

ive also done it when i upgraded most of the companants in an old pc (mobo board, graphics, sound ect) and it just asked to install new drivers

worth a shot if nothing else.
pow
Premium Member

13th Jul 10 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That means that the drivers loaded on the computer are not compatible with the SATA control drivers on the laptop. TBH it's not an ideal solution anyway as it loads many kernel level drivers before it even gets to the GUI install

SSj is right it carries on reading off the CD all the way through the installation...

The only real failsafe way to install Windows XP is from a CD really.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jul 10 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a drive for it now but I can't alter the boot sequence because there's a password on the bios.

Tried switching after the reboot as per Johns advice but the error message is the same.

Drive is fine when back in the other PC and also via a USB caddy to my main one.

Also tried another 2.5" drive from another laptop and it sees that drive but blue screens fairly soon after.

Its also IDE, not SATA.

I can now install from the CD except that I can't boot to it. If I could get a C: prompt having copied i386 on to the drive that might work.
pow
Premium Member

13th Jul 10 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same thing really, the IDE controller drivers are different

Get shot of the MBR (DBAN it - google it!) on the main hard drive so i'll skip the HDD as a boot device if you really can't get shot of the BIOS password, but, take the CMOS battery out (under the memory hatch/keyboard? What laptop is it?) to get rid of the password. Sometimes there are two solder blods somewhere easily accessible to get shot of the CMOS settings.
ssj_kakarot

13th Jul 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt there a jumper switch or something on the motherboard to reset the bios password?

New Poll