corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Boys/ Steve

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ford Boys/ Steve
ste_p23

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well as some of you know i was recently looking at a BMW but this idea has now gone out the window so ive been looking at Fiesta ST's.

Ive got 5k to play with so looking for about a 55/56 plate in black

I know there 150Bhp with a few possibilities they can be taken upto 180bhp.

(Also know the interior is abit pants with the split leather and cloth)

Does anyone know much about them in terms of what there like to live with as a daily car etc etc?

Any help would be great!

Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 2007 st. What do you want to know?
ste_p23

22nd Jul 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
I have a 2007 st. What do you want to know?

Just how reliable are they etc things to look out for service intervals what a good amount of milage is just the general really
broster
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great cars to be fair! No real probes and cheap to maintain! I'm tempted by one! Loads of mods swell!
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car.
Problems with power steering is common and is hit and miss.
There is a recall on the years you are looking at with the clutch cable and it popping off leaving you stranded however its a two min fix at Ford.
Lot of cars on the age you are looking at have idling problems some people got Ford to reflash the ecu and some said it cured it.
Dash is poor quality and can rattle a lot.
Lift over oversteer is awful as standard. I have mountune kw coilovers on mine and rear axle spaces and the handling is brilliant so much fun.

For your budget I reckon you will struggle to get a face lift (late 55 plates onwards) in good nick and without moon miles. Also try and go for full leather interior far better. There are loads of options for them I have quite a few Bluetooth and voice control OS quite cool.

My biggest gripe with the car is fuel Eco when driving across town, my ave is 32.5mph, however on the motorway you can hit 36mpg.

Power is not great as standard and 180hp is quite easy but will cost you 1500 quid + the biggest factor is your budget as jamsport has a supercharger kit which will find anywhere from 250 to 350+ bhp

However don't let these put you off. I love mine and can't wait until I can go for more power. Basic handling mods and good tyres would be my first suggestion.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

axle spacers are only about 8 quid each from ford
broster
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All those probes are easy fixes to be fair, eibaxh springs sort handling cheaply, a PAS relocation kit sorts tho pas noise, costs 130 for that. They are a bit slow STD, but easily made a bit faster, strong engine.
ste_p23

22nd Jul 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers think my mind is made up if i can find one to test drive
Steve X16XE

22nd Jul 10 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have only driven one and I was only in it due to it having problems, but still I could tell that in standard form it did feel restricted. It did seam to have very long gear ratios though. This coming from a TDI owner doesn't say much.

quote:
My biggest gripe with the car is fuel Eco when driving across town, my ave is 32.5mph, however on the motorway you can hit 36mpg.

I've got a Pug 207, 1.4 8v (courtesy car) and i'm getting that around town driving. So yours isn't that bad.

quote:
Basic handling mods and good tyres would be my first suggestion.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Kurt

22nd Jul 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not an ST but Graeme's Zetec was awesome!

Edit:

Link too:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=481052

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Kurt]
ste_p23

22nd Jul 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers what handling suggestions are reccomended then?

broster
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best suspension kit for fast road and track use is the Bilstein b12 kit, so good ford have droped the kw stuff for it! Then diff and axel spacers, job done!
ste_p23

22nd Jul 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£620 for the B12 Kit
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can say from experience having batter brakes and suspension on a car makes it 20% quicker.It aint all about the BHP
ste_p23

22nd Jul 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
I can say from experience having batter brakes and suspension on a car makes it 20% quicker.It aint all about the BHP

Do go on
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's from 11 years driving experience and about 28 cars you soon learn
Gareth F

22nd Jul 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put my corsa back to standard suspension and the front lifts up now instead of accelerating fully
Feels so slow and bogged down
Graham88

23rd Jul 10 at 03:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Not an ST but Graeme's Zetec was awesome!

Edit:

Link too:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=481052

Graham*

Just spent ages re-reading that, I loved that car

I can only comment on the handling side of things as they're the same chassis, but very good cars, just a lack of power going by my mates ST, but I know of one running 180bhp and it's amazing what a difference 30bhp makes.

AP Coilovers, £380 new, I don't see why you'd want to spend anymore, they were perfect for me and I did a few trackdays in mine
Ben G

23rd Jul 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like how steve is totally different to the ''ford boys''

tbh fiesta st's are quite reliable. the dashes certainly aren't rattley unless you've broken something.

i'd try and get a facelift one by adding another 1k to your budget as they are much better and you can put your own headunit in it.

eibach springs cure the handling for £74 if you know someone with ford employee discount

it will be fine as a daily driver as that's what they're supposed to be.

i drove my focus st every day for 18 months and it never missed a beat, same with my fiesta zetec s mk6.

new fords are reliable these days. none of this fix or repair daily crap.
Ben G

23rd Jul 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, the interior wears well and i think i prefer the half leather to the full leather.

i'd like a white or blue fiesta st with half leather/blue inserts with black dash.

watch out for the red and blue dashes which were an option, they are hideous

bluetooth is a nice feature but you need to keep the standard headunit in if you want this, or just buy an aftermarket kit.
broster
Premium Member

23rd Jul 10 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ste_p23
£620 for the B12 Kit

pay for what you get with the suspension kits tho, deffinalty the best sub £1200 suspension kit out there.
adiohead

23rd Jul 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I miss my old car, tbh

ste_p23

23rd Jul 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mind is made up im gona go and test drive one and take it from there! i may hold out till around xmas/new year to buy one as i may have a bigger budget and hopefully people will need a quick sale of their car to fund xmas etc
Graham88

23rd Jul 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i'd try and get a facelift one by adding another 1k to your budget as they are much better and you can put your own headunit in it.

You can put your own headunit in the pre-facelifts too

But yeah as Ben says Fords aren't like they used to be, the MK6's don't rust and they're reliable as anything. Mine got pure abuse for 30k miles over a period of 10 months including trackdays and weekend street racing and never skipped a beat.
Ben G

24th Jul 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gotta chop stuff up though much easier just to get the pin things and take it out in the facelifts

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Boys/ Steve 22 database queries in 0.0116930 seconds