corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pond Pumps :GRRRRRR:

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pond Pumps :GRRRRRR:
Daimo B

User status: Offline
26th Jul 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 years ago, we bought a new pump for out pond. Well known brand, about £150-£200 (can find model number later).

2 years later, the pump dies. It turns on for about 5 minutes, gets hot, shuts itself off. We took it back to the shop, he didn't believe me until he tested it, where I won, he lost, so they gave me a replacement.

2 years later, same model pump, same thing has happened again. Same issue too, shuts down after a few minutes, and you can feel its quite hot. Problem is this time, I don't think I have a box, or receipt, but think its still under warrantee (think.....).

So, do I take it back, tell them its happened again, get another one under warrantee, and then suffer the same problem again in another 2 years? Im sure unsure what to do.

the pumps clean, filters clean, wirings ok, nothing blocking any holes, its just like it gets tired quick and shuts itself off.

In fact, its one of these...

ssj_kakarot

26th Jul 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well you could try and take it back to the shop but without a reciept im not sure you would get very far.

Also if its under warentee that will be with the manufacturer rather than the shop you purchased it from, could try and ring the manufacturer see if they will replace/fix it if its under warranty.
ssj_kakarot

26th Jul 10 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you paid by credit/debit card could print the payment details off and take that into the shop that would suffice as proof of purchase.
Daimo B

26th Jul 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but it was about 2 years ago.

Just wondering if anyone could know what it is really as we've got some pond people on here.

Its obviously a failure, or something in my pond that makes it die after 2 years
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Jul 10 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've done well to get a replacement after that time, never mind two. Consider yourself lucky.

Are you running it continuously or on a timer?
lee mitchell

26th Jul 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hozelock titan. exactly wot i had daimo. minewas 12000 lph. mine broke after 2 years. got hot and impeller all damaged didnt bother getting a new impeller as £45 and the inside was scored so ended up getting a yamitsu pump as had no trouble with yamitsu stuff but had lots with hozelock
ssj_kakarot

26th Jul 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but if its still under warantee the manufacturer has to fix it.
lee mitchell

26th Jul 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only get a year on them im sure
Daimo B

27th Jul 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really, nice one Lee, interesting to hear yours only lasted 2 years as well.

its literally like that, you can hear it wirring,last 5, dies. leave it for half hour, it works again, 5 min later, dead again.

Ian, nahh, its on in the evenings from around 6-9, and then during the weekends from about 12-9. I would say its due to over-usage, but now Lee's jsut said the same thing, it kinda makes me think the design is defective.
lee mitchell

27th Jul 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine runs 24-7
Daimo B

30th Jul 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found out, theres a consumable part that needs replacing, and funny how no-ones mentioned it to us with the 2 pumps we’ve had. Costs about £20-£30.

Cheeky cow was like “well we have this as a replacement part not under warrantee because we’re not sure how people treat the pumps”

I replied “no offence dear, but it’s a f**king water pump, it sits in a pond and pumps water, its not like im going to get it out for a game of frisby is it”

So for now, im going to source the Rota Assembly (same as yours Lee) as its not been working for a week now, and the poor fish will struggle soon. But when it dies again, i'll swap to another brand.
neoquip

2nd Aug 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've still got one for sale if you need another...
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=562623
drunkenfool

4th Aug 10 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had to go for a submersible pump then I'd get one of the Oase ones. If you can hook it up so it's dry mounted (I'm not sure how your pond is set up) then go for either the Sequence ones if you don't have a big head height, or if you have pressurised filters or a lot of head height, then the ITT Marlow ones.
Daimo B

4th Aug 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already bought another one. Tried a new impellor and didn't work still.

Called the company, but can't prove date of purchase Had to fork another £100 on a new pump (and made sure to keep box and warrantee).

System is submerged pump, leading to boxed filter via pipes, the out of filter to outlet at top top (8m length of pipe), then runs over the top pond, down a slate stream back into the lower pond.

New Poll