corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Thinking about jacking it all in.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking about jacking it all in.....
Tiger

User status: Offline
13th Aug 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of quitting my good job as Electrical Engineer / Installer to take on my photography full time.

I'm sick of getting up so early ( I start at 0730 but live 30 miles from work)

The pay isn't good enough, no pay rises (apart from inflation linked rise of 2.5% every 3 years which is actually like a pay cut each year if you take into account the cost of living increasing)

Sick of earning money for someone else to line their multi million pound yacht with soft furnishings

No appreciation of work done, no gratitude from Managers.

No sick pay scheme

If a job is done badly one time, its NEVER improved for the next time, its always a step backwards.

So, these are my reasons, i'm looking into financial aspects right now, premises in the pipeline already, a new start heading into my 30's.
Kano

13th Aug 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Thinking of quitting my good job as Electrical Engineer / Installer to take on my photography full time.

I'm sick of getting up so early ( I start at 0730 but live 30 miles from work)

The pay isn't good enough, no pay rises (apart from inflation linked rise of 2.5% every 3 years which is actually like a pay cut each year if you take into account the cost of living increasing)

Sick of earning money for someone else to line their multi million pound yacht with soft furnishings

No appreciation of work done, no gratitude from Managers.

No sick pay scheme

If a job is done badly one time, its NEVER improved for the next time, its always a step backwards.

So, these are my reasons, i'm looking into financial aspects right now, premises in the pipeline already, a new start heading into my 30's.

If your not happy, do it! Would it not be an idea to set up from home to begin with to keep costs down, then once your up and running look into premises etc.
Nath

13th Aug 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't like Electrical Engineering.....

Oh wait!
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find a new job then. I dont think you can just go straight into photography. You need to build a name & get contacts first.
A2H GO

13th Aug 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the last 2 days ive sat a work drawing up a business plan to go into vehicle body work, setup costs, likely income etc. Trouble is, even though i know how its all done, ive only really ever applied it on a small scale, ie. no long term experience so its a massive risk if it all goes tits up. Was thinking of doing it in the evenings/weekend for 12 months to build expericence/customer base/contact etc before actually packing in my full time job to mitigate the risk.

[Edited on 13-08-2010 by A2H GO]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus hinckley already has some big photo studios there.
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Find a new job then. I dont think you can just go straight into photography. You need to build a name & get contacts first.

Well there's the problem. Try doing that when you work 60 hours a week.

I've been doing photography for about 10 years. 3 years semi-pro (I earn a second income from it) I can no longer balance my full time job and my photography.
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Correction. Was. There was one that was available for rent, it shut down. Now there's my mates place - Reilly studios and Dawes but they operate on different levels from me.

[Edited on 13-08-2010 by Tiger]
SetH

13th Aug 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiger, follow your dream and do what makes you happy buddy.

It sounds like you have thought about it and you have listed some very valid reasons for getting out of electrical work.

good luck with it
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well take it up with your managers, you should be earning a good wage if your on more than the minimum wage.
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With my trade, if I fall short I can get work quite easily (lots of mates in same trade that work for themselves)
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Correction. Wad. There was one that was available for rent, it shut down. Now there's my mates place - Reilly studios and Dawes but they operate on different levels from me.

And the place in burbage on coventry road
AlunJ

13th Aug 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
With my trade, if I fall short I can get work quite easily (lots of mates in same trade that work for themselves)

Could you not go work for one of them whilst getting your photography company going? Personally I'd be fearful of going into photography, but hey you only live once
Tiger

quote:
well take it up with your managers, you should be earning a good wage if your on more than the minimum wage.

No one gets a pay rise, all of our factory that are skilled are on the same rate of pay.
Tiger

quote:
quote:
quote:

Correction. Wad. There was one that was available for rent, it shut down. Now there's my mates place - Reilly studios and Dawes but they operate on different levels from me.

And the place in burbage on coventry road

That's Dawes.
MarkSport

13th Aug 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm training to be an electrician and I'm on good money.It wil get better every year I train aswell untill fully qualified then its £15 an hour working for my boss
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well you only live once if its a risk you can take without effecting mortgage/car payments do it.
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
quote:

Could you not go work for one of them whilst getting your photography company going? Personally I'd be fearful of going into photography, but hey you only live once

With what I do, its all or nothing, I couldnt work for the lads I know without doing even more hours. My company won't let anyone do part time either.
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well you only live once if its a risk you can take without effecting mortgage/car payments do it.

Everything I own is paid for, I dont have a mortgage (banks wont give me one without 20% deposit so I rent)
Whittie

13th Aug 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it as a sideline Ben.

Do your photography on weekends (have you a partner? ) Build up a decent clientel, once word of mouth gets about, and your diary fills up, quit and go into it full time.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Aug 10 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sick of getting up so early

The pay isn't good enough

Sick of earning money for someone else

No sick pay scheme

All those are true of photography...
Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Do it as a sideline Ben.

Do your photography on weekends (have you a partner? ) Build up a decent clientel, once word of mouth gets about, and your diary fills up, quit and go into it full time.

I honestly don't get time at weekends, everything I do is on hold all week then I have to do everything at the weekend, house tidy, gardening, shopping and time to rest too as my job is very labour intensive and my knees arent so good at the end of a week, I catch up with my mates but even that only takes place if I get a free day. My next free weekend now is Sept 18/19th and up til then its squeezing all the stuff that I dont get time for in the week. I have late nights most of the week and I play in my band wed/thur nights til 0100 then its up for work at 0545 the next day with usually a gig one friday or weekend night every 3 weeks.

I have to turn work down most of the time because I dont get a chance to do it.

This is what i'm sick of, and one of the reasons I came to the decision to aim towards quitting.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can prove it will be better then go for it. I did and it's the best thing I have ever done

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Whittie

13th Aug 10 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I'm sick of getting up so early Only would be certain days... weddings mainly

The pay isn't good enough i'd be happy with 2k+ work for shooting a wedding and spending a few days editing pics

Sick of earning money for someone else if he's going self employed, he wouldn't be

No sick pay scheme can be covered by this from the bank

Tiger

13th Aug 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I'm sick of getting up so early

The pay isn't good enough

Sick of earning money for someone else

No sick pay scheme

I have never got up at 0545 for a photography assignment in the 50 or so i've done in the past 2 years.

I'm more than willing to take a pay cut to do what I enjoy. As for the pay not being enough, I was more specifically refering to being a trade professional.

I would be less likely to have a sick day (even though i've not had one in 2 years) because I would be getting ample sleep / rest / no work injuries.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Thinking about jacking it all in..... 23 database queries in 0.0219569 seconds