corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Induction today

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Induction today
Root

User status: Offline
24th Aug 10 at 05:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got my induction today at 8.30.

driving the brand new bmw, renault, volvo, kia, saab, GM cars off the ships.
excited is an understatement

don't get to drive them fast...or far but still
Root

24th Aug 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back, got to drive 2 BMW's, 5 series GT (auto) and a 320d (manual).

what an awesome induction

[Edited on 24-08-2010 by Root]
Recaro1

24th Aug 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel sorry that you had to reply to your own post after 9 hours...

Sounds like a good job anyway mate.
Root

24th Aug 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, cheers. Glad to be working after many months of nothing
mart08uk

24th Aug 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant me bad
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where?

I used to do the same for ABP Southampton when I was at Uni - got a few cool cars to drive but to be honest the easiest thing was Transit vans. The induction is so gay learning all the hand signals and being reversed round a car park

Its shocking how POVs (Privately Owned Vehicles) and imports are brought into the country on the open deck, covered in salt and shit when they get here; all new cars are in the holds.

[Edited on 24-08-2010 by LiVe LeE]
Root

24th Aug 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ABP? they own the dock land at Immingham.

It's at Immingham docks, for "DFDS Seaways". 2nd largest shipping company in Europe
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Associated British Ports - they have ports all round the country
Root

24th Aug 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah, that's why then

it's a pretty cool job though, bringing brand new cars in, it's something I think I will enjoy and stick to.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wait until you do a night shift, 3 am in the morning driving Transit Vans

I still do a lot of work in Southampton and up until a few months ago, some of the worlds largest Car carriers were just moored up at a cost of £10k a day doing nothing because there weren't enough cars coming in or out.

I got to drive all sorts from new build Micra's to imported Skylines. We unloaded the Top Secret 1000hp Skyline whilst I was on duty - that was good. Drove loads of Range Rovers, Land Rovers etc and we tended to eb where Renault came in to the UK so got a few hot hatches to play with.

Money wasn't too bad either, especially if you do night shifts of over 8hours
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You used to all the hand signals; I did fine in the induction; first car onto the ship the spotter told me to get out; I just wasnt paying attention to what he was telling me to do, felt a proper dick!!! After that, I was okay. That was parking forwards in; sometimes it was amazing, you concentrate so much on the spotter and you're not looking where you actually are, just at the spotter that when you get out, its amazing how tight you're aprked to another car, pillar, side wall etc. No room at all - used to love it! Came out of uni with no real debt though
Root

24th Aug 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
wait until you do a night shift, 3 am in the morning driving Transit Vans

I still do a lot of work in Southampton and up until a few months ago, some of the worlds largest Car carriers were just moored up at a cost of £10k a day doing nothing because there weren't enough cars coming in or out.

I got to drive all sorts from new build Micra's to imported Skylines. We unloaded the Top Secret 1000hp Skyline whilst I was on duty - that was good. Drove loads of Range Rovers, Land Rovers etc and we tended to eb where Renault came in to the UK so got a few hot hatches to play with.

Money wasn't too bad either, especially if you do night shifts of over 8hours

we don't do transits. mainly BMW, some Kia, Renault, Volvo, GM (opel/vaux)...but i won't care what time it is or what im driving, it's a cool job

we also put on the ships a few cars like jaguar
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Transits are built just outside Southampton, that'll be why they go through AMB S'oton.

We had a few BMWs and Volvos, to be honest, don't remember a lot, only the Micra's which were shit, Land Rover/ Range Rover, Transits and Renault
Root

24th Aug 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'd not enjoy it so much if I had to drive micra's lol.

Sitting in the mini bus today though, driving past thousands of cars, all very very nice cars. It's amazing, but I bet you get sick of the sight of them lol
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine that but 3x bigger!!! Immingham is 21hectares of cars, Southampton is 60!!! Used to get lost trying to find the ship.

Are you in blue overalls? I always wanted to become a red as you got to drive Honda's and high end then; special training require for Honda's to go out
Root

24th Aug 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yellow high-vis. We get to drive any of them, no extra training needed for vtec lol
RichR
Premium Member

24th Aug 10 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Honda used to have their own fenced off area with extra security; even if you were only moving a Jazz you needed to be "Honda trained"
Root

24th Aug 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha. That's what BMW seem to be like at Immingham. Very anal about everything

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Induction today 22 database queries in 0.0128520 seconds