corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 turbo F1 cars...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 turbo F1 cars...
John_C

User status: Offline
9th Sep 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...maybe...

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/27624.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
BluKoo

9th Sep 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That could be interesting.

On another note, my uncle is in the process of rebuilding his 1200bhp 1.5 Turbo BMW F1 car.
sand-eel

9th Sep 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone is being ECO crazy these days, with small engines and turbos, prob agood time to get some shares in turbo companies.
Eck
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo

On another note, my uncle is in the process of rebuilding his 1200bhp 1.5 Turbo BMW F1 car.

I fucking love that they took the block for these from the road going engines. Love even more that it was normally a tired, high mileage motor they took it from!
Dom

9th Sep 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they're going about it all the wrong way, 'for sure' they've got the technology but i think the cost of developing a small block engine to produce similar power as today’s V8s will out way any advantages. The best idea i've heard is to restrict energy usage rather than engine size. So each team is given X kilojoules of energy to use per race and they can use this however they wish - very efficient V10/12s or small block 1.6's etc.
Another idea that's floating around is for teams to go back to using road going engines which wouldn't be a bad idea, as it would hopefully entice manufacture teams like Ford, BMW and Honda etc to get back into F1.

[Edited on 09-09-2010 by Dom]
jr

9th Sep 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

I fucking love that they took the block for these from the road going engines. Love even more that it was normally a tired, high mileage motor they took it from!

That is a very famous urban ledgend eck
Eck
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh Any evidence of that? Didn't think Evo would make such an error.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why the feck are f1 cars concerend about being eco? im assuming this is the motive behind this

they only race every now and again so surely actually contribute fuck all the emissions in the grand scale
Eck
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm all for ridiculously high powered, small capacity F1 cars. Take away traction control and watch as boost kicks in mid corner and spits a car into the gravel.
mattk

9th Sep 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
they only race every now and again so surely actually contribute fuck all the emissions in the grand scale

human activity contributes only 2% of the worlds CO2 output anyway, id love to see what % of that 2% F1 is
mwg

9th Sep 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to see turbo'd V12's. Fuck the emissions, its racing.
jr

9th Sep 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Oh Any evidence of that? Didn't think Evo would make such an error.

ocatne spoke to the bloke that built them and he said it was tried but they failed very quickly on the dyno
BluKoo

9th Sep 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Rumour has it they left the blocks outside to weather and they got some employees to piss on them too.
antnee

9th Sep 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I think they're going about it all the wrong way, 'for sure' they've got the technology but i think the cost of developing a small block engine to produce similar power as today’s V8s will out way any advantages. The best idea i've heard is to restrict energy usage rather than engine size. So each team is given X kilojoules of energy to use per race and they can use this however they wish - very efficient V10/12s or small block 1.6's etc.
Another idea that's floating around is for teams to go back to using road going engines which wouldn't be a bad idea, as it would hopefully entice manufacture teams like Ford, BMW and Honda etc to get back into F1.

You know they used to use small block turbos with over 1000bhp? many years ago! Will be easy for them to make a 6-800bhp 1.6T
spikedjack

9th Sep 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at one point bmw famously had 1500horsepower out of a 1.5l engine, im sure it would be easyish for them to see 1kbhp from a 1.6
dannymccann

9th Sep 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spikedjack
at one point bmw famously had 1500horsepower out of a 1.5l engine, im sure it would be easyish for them to see 1kbhp from a 1.6

Im not having a go as I dont really understand engines and how to get more power out of such a small engine, but how do they do this?
antnee

9th Sep 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
quote:

Im not having a go as I dont really understand engines and how to get more power out of such a small engine, but how do they do this?

The engines run to a very fine tolerance, rev to 18k, have a very short life, many things are different compared to a road engine. Like the oil has to be warmed up before it can started, as at normal temps the engine is effectively seized
LeeM

9th Sep 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hydraulic valves help them rev high too?
JonnyJ

9th Sep 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

human activity contributes only 2% of the worlds CO2 output anyway, id love to see what % of that 2% F1 is

Exactly, and the actual racing part will be even less than the amount they use to transport the cars, equipment and team all over the world. They should make them drive the cars to the next race on public roads
ed

9th Sep 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Formula 1 is a technical/prototyping exercise/competition. There is much more to it than just driving a fast car round a track.
ed

9th Sep 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Horsepower is a measurement of work done in a certain amount of time. There are two ways of making a high powered engine. One that produces absolutely buckets of torque, the other is to make one that revs lots and lots. F1 engines rev lots and don't produce a lot of torque as a result of that. By doing that the amount of work done per second is high, so they horsepower is high.
Dom

9th Sep 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

You know they used to use small block turbos with over 1000bhp? many years ago! Will be easy for them to make a 6-800bhp 1.6T

Never said it wasn't possible and yes i already know that they ran turbos from the mid 60s to '89 when turbos were banned. But they were also V6's and V8's rather than inline-4's or V4's.
Eitherway, i still don't quite understand the point of doing this! I think it'll end up like KERS, nice idea but completely pointless.
sand-eel

9th Sep 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
quote:

The engines run to a very fine tolerance, rev to 18k, have a very short life, many things are different compared to a road engine. Like the oil has to be warmed up before it can started, as at normal temps the engine is effectively seized

+ a big turbo.
markx14xe

9th Sep 10 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lmao 1.6 f1 car
sand-eel

9th Sep 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Rumour has it they left the blocks outside to weather and they got some employees to piss on them too.

Yes pretty sure it was new blocks too, they are left for ages as over time (without getting used!!!) the metal actually becomes stronger as the molecules align themselves, making the molecular structure tougher.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 turbo F1 cars... 22 database queries in 0.1995652 seconds