corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » career day:

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author career day:
scottyp1989

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know there are a few people on here who have done engineering degrees etc, i was just wondering what your career path was after you finished your degree and how you got into the job.

iv just finished my level 3 2330 and am about to start HNC electrical/electronic engineering and will be doing my HND also. so would like to hear from people who have done these or similer, or just general advice of what my options are once these are complete.

by the time i have completed these i will be looking to have 6 ish years experience in service engineering, controll systems, plc's, motors etc so will be looking at getting into something similar to this as this is what i know. will also be doing other things like design along the way hopefully.

so ye would like to hear people experiences and general advice.

thanks
Colin

23rd Sep 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work offshore its rusty & shit & things.
Root

23rd Sep 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to college for 3 years, not ending up with any qualifications.

Went to work at somerfield (retail), since then done a few factory jobs and currently a car compound driver which i love.
scottyp1989

23rd Sep 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I work offshore its rusty & shit & things.

i was looking at training for rigs TBH before i got my house and had my son, TBH i love the job im in at the min but i want to go higher and i could not do it in this job,
Colin

23rd Sep 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got all you need in life then dont bother, its a piss lonely life while away & too easy to get cuffed by the golden handcuffs!!
Recaro1

23rd Sep 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprenticeship - Was really good, lots of fun, good money, paid for me to do a HNC &HND.

Wanted to do a degree but never got round to it. Not sure its worth it, I work with a few people who have degrees and they dont know shit.
scottyp1989

23rd Sep 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why i gave up looking at it and decided to do what im doing now, it will kill me TBH to spend that much time away from home
scottyp1989

23rd Sep 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Recaro1
Apprenticeship - Was really good, lots of fun, good money, paid for me to do a HNC &HND.

Wanted to do a degree but never got round to it. Not sure its worth it, I work with a few people who have degrees and they dont know shit.

what did you go into once you did you hnc/hnd?
Recaro1

23rd Sep 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

HNC and HND were in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and surprisingly I went into Electrical and Electronic Engineering

C2RL R

23rd Sep 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i'm exactly the same mate
scottyp1989

23rd Sep 10 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

HNC and HND were in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and surprisingly I went into Electrical and Electronic Engineering

ye i gatherd that lol but what was you doing before leading upto it? just trying to guage an idea of where i can go with it from what im doing now thats all
Bart

24th Sep 10 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive completed my HNC in Mechatronics (Mechanical / Electrical Engineering).

I did this as an apprentice working for an electrical engineering company building control panels. I design them on CAD.

I spread my course over 3 years and CBA to do the HND tbh
sc0ott

24th Sep 10 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completed an HND in construction management after leaving school and then a a couple of years after i got myself a job as a trainee architectural technician so i then had to go back to college to do the HNC in architectural technology, which ive now done and hopefully soon be up at assistant level.
sxibeast

24th Sep 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive completed my apprenticeship and HNC in Mechanical Engineering which work paid for which was good!

I'm just starting a BEng in Mechanical Engineering with Open University. Abit of a longer way to do it, but its not really practical for me at present to take a day or two off to attend a uni itself. Plus, i learn abit better when i have to learn myself rather than in a classroom (if that makes sense?).

On another note about shit people, i work with a chap who started at the same time as me, did an apprenciteship but is as crap as anything! Still doesnt know how to do very basic engineering processes, barely knows anything about the subject, and generally just spouts crap to customers to make it seem like he knows what he is on about. Ends up getting the more experienced guys to come up wqith the ideas and most the time they end up doing the work because he doesnt know how! Shocking!
oceansoul

2nd Nov 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just found this thread

Just finished my maintainance apprenticeship at Thames Water, including a HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
I work in the Instrument, Control, and Automation Section at Water Treatment Plants. Stuff like motors, ultrasonic levels, pressure sensors, PLC's, full blown SCADA networks etc
bwbw

2nd Nov 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently doing my Degree in Building Services Engineering, doing this as an apprenticeship
Chris x

2nd Nov 10 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing a mechanical and manufacturing foundation degree atm. Doing it over 2years whilst working as an apprentice. I have 8months ish left. Did my ONC before my current course.

Will proberly be asking the same when I finsih my apprentiship next year. Havnt got a fucking clue what to do.

Tis all good!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » career day: 22 database queries in 0.1344099 seconds