corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The guy who started facebook worth £4.4bn

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The guy who started facebook worth £4.4bn
Tomnova16
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Sep 10 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lives in a rented home and drives a $13000 car.
WTF he's in Americas rich list above steve jobs from apple.
I was thinking the other day how he made money from face book.
Is it just from advertising?

Quite interested in seeing the new film out

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
corsayoung

24th Sep 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea just advertisment i think, but think about it, facebook will be just like myspace, bebo, MSN in a few years time....... a thing of the past, and there will be a better newer social networking thing to come. He may be worth £4.4bn now but if he doesnt sell up soon and leaves it a bit too late then he may end up with a dieing website and start to lose some of that wealth
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FB is miles ahead of Bebo and Myspace in regards of membership/advertisements etc, he turned down an offer from Yahoo for something like 700million dollars a few years ago.
John

24th Sep 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsayoung
Yea just advertisment i think, but think about it, facebook will be just like myspace, bebo, MSN in a few years time....... a thing of the past, and there will be a better newer social networking thing to come. He may be worth £4.4bn now but if he doesnt sell up soon and leaves it a bit too late then he may end up with a dieing website and start to lose some of that wealth

You don't start losing wealth if the site dies

He'll just be rich with no site.
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see anything else coming along that will be betetr than FB in terms of social networking, I think he'll do just fine.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's private wealth by the way. Not assets and shiz

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Paul_J

24th Sep 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Lives in a rented home and drives a $13000 car.
WTF he's in Americas rich list above steve jobs from apple.
I was thinking the other day how he made money from face book.
Is it just from advertising?

Quite interested in seeing the new film out

The film will be utter garbage mate. Nothing like the real events.

Essentially in 2004 while at university, he made www.thefacebook.com - a site of profiles for people on campus to use, with a rating system almost just like 'hotornot'.

Shortly, after setting up this, he was approached by a few parties offering funding and it is rumoured he received around $12 mil initial funding including investors such as the CIA (which makes sense for them).

They kept growing the site and changed it to facebook.com.

Facebook is not IPO'd (not available on the public stock market) - so it's valuation of the shares are based on the price people are paying at any point. A few years ago microsoft bought a couple of % for $120 million which valued the site in the billions.

in 2009 the site was valued at $7 billion.

in 2010 the site is valued at $23 billion.

Mark Zuckerberg still owns a large proportion of the site, therefore is worth 'billions'.

How cash rich he is I don't know. I'm sure he's fairly rich and he may have already sold some share in the site in exchange for a cash deal - but ultimately most of his wealth is solely on paper. So if Facebook TANKED (which it wont anytime soon) then that wealth would decrease greatly.

- So how does facebook make money? Advertising and in particular - TARGETTED advertising.

When you put your personal info on that site, your age, gender, interests etc, this allows them to offer advertising space targetted directly at the people who the publishers want it to be seen by. E.g. if your interests say you like going to the gym, you'll get adverts for muscle stuff. etc

Now they have location (facebook places) then they can target their adverts at your location too increasing the premium.

Ultimately the fact the site has everyone on there makes it fairly hard to be beaten, as no competitor can offer a place your friends already use.

As I say though... the film will be nonsense - looking at the trailer it makes it look like it's going to be a glamous journey.
John

24th Sep 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have a youtube video about it Paul?
Jakey
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Between Zuckerberg and the 3 other blokes that made the site, they own around 38% of 'Facebook'. Who owns the rest? Shareholders?
John

24th Sep 10 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bill Gates still has $55 billion according to the radio earlier on, easily the coolest guy on the planet after Mr Flowers.
kz

24th Sep 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's a cunt he wants to overtake the internet so that everything we do online is via Facebook.
Dom

25th Sep 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
He's a cunt he wants to overtake the internet so that everything we do online is via Facebook.

Bit like Brin and Page with Google to be honest....
Havoc
Banned

25th Sep 10 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the targetted advertising doesn't seem to work on my page, i dont play the lotto online, dont want a home hub and already have broadband
Graham88

25th Sep 10 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play to him I say, I can't see anything better come along anyway, but even if it does, it's not like he's gonna be bothered when he's now loaded
Steve
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 03:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the downfall of facebook willbe the fact they keep fucking with it, its over coded as it stands right now and as a reslt is slow and buggy starting to use it less and less because of this
Winemaker

25th Sep 10 at 04:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
the downfall of facebook willbe the fact they keep fucking with it, its over coded as it stands right now and as a reslt is slow and buggy starting to use it less and less because of this

dannymccann

25th Sep 10 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was him I would sell up as soon as possible and not risk it going tits up, but thats just me. Id take the billions and walk, not like you are going to go hungry is it
Ben D

25th Sep 10 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This guy just made a $100Million donation to some education fund He's definitely not worried about being skint anytime soon!
Paul_J

25th Sep 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
This guy just made a $100Million donation to some education fund He's definitely not worried about being skint anytime soon!

Don't forget donations are tax deductable
Ben D

25th Sep 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His motive behind the donation was to enhance his image as he is due to be painted in a particularly bad light in the upcoming facebook film which depicts him as some sneaky little rat who stole the idea for facebook
luciaadr

25th Sep 10 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by Ben D

Don't forget donations are tax deductable

So's taking all the staff to a strip joint, or buying stationery.
Paul_J

25th Sep 10 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but this way he looks like a hero and the most of the money would've gone on tax anyway.
Ben G

25th Sep 10 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read about him in the sun. what an interesting guy

he is a legend.
Bart

25th Sep 10 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I can't see anything else coming along that will be betetr than FB in terms of social networking, I think he'll do just fine.

I dont know.. theres always something better around the corner, something more unique.
ed

26th Sep 10 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold."

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The guy who started facebook worth £4.4bn 23 database queries in 0.0163422 seconds