corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 'Mechanical over rev'

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'Mechanical over rev'
Butler

User status: Offline
4th Oct 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible to rev a car beyond the limiter by downshifting into 2nd by mistake from 5th. Some guy I know reckons his 1.4 Polo revved beyond about 10k and its still working. I was always under the impression that if the car had a limiter then this wouldnt be possible, and he told me to google 'mechanical over rev'
johnboy-0178
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

4th Oct 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its been dropped down from 5th to 2nd it more than likely fuked the engine by bending valves or snapping timing belt which both are very common
Jake

4th Oct 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its possible yeh because its forced into over-revving. modern cars are electronically limited
SnK

4th Oct 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know some pratt who did this in his 1.4 polo. Was doing like 90mph shifted into 2nd instead of 4th. New engine.
Phillips_91

4th Oct 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did it once by mistake only revved to just over 8k though so not too bad :/
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Oct 10 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its possible yer

Not good for the engine at all. most modern cars record it in ECU's incase of warrenty claims.
Someone who works for honda posted up a reading of 15,000 on one car they had in for work on another forum

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Butler

4th Oct 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always assumed the limiter prevented it from happening. Then again ive only ever done something so stupid on gran turismo
DaveyLC

4th Oct 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Is it possible to rev a car beyond the limiter by downshifting into 2nd by mistake from 5th. Some guy I know reckons his 1.4 Polo revved beyond about 10k and its still working. I was always under the impression that if the car had a limiter then this wouldnt be possible, and he told me to google 'mechanical over rev'

The rev limiter is in the ECU, how is the ECU going to stop the road turning the engine through the wheels?
Ojc

User status: Online
4th Oct 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, in my early years of driving I was racing my mate in his 1.4 8v Astra Si and he went from 3rd to 1st and bent valves and all sorts.
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Oct 10 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a horrid video of a DC5 on youtube of it scattering parts on the track after someone decided to try 2nd at 4th speeds

Butler

4th Oct 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

The rev limiter is in the ECU, how is the ECU going to stop the road turning the engine through the wheels?

Yeah it makes sense when you put it like that. Ive never been particularly mechnically minded admittedly.
Warren G

4th Oct 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i know someone who went 2nd at 7500rpm to 1st...
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Oct 10 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it an anogram of A F D ?

AlexW

4th Oct 10 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one gav? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQXlwr0H1A&NR=1
richc

4th Oct 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old corsa had a fucked gear linkage. I did 6700 rpm in second and hit first racing my mate in his mums 1.8 turbo passat when we was 17

Did do anything just sounded mental. Then a few weeks later a mate did same and blew it up! Sounded like a impreza
Warren G

4th Oct 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Is it an anogram of A F D ?

S Y E
Rob B

4th Oct 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happens alot on Honda's due to the close ratio box and the fact there all ready on the considered limit of vibration that the engine can withstand.

Spoon sports had to fit an engine brace to withstand a 10k rev limit.

And like Davey said, if you did it the ECU can't limit the speed the wheels are turning.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Oct 10 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen it done, third back to second, got about 9 on an X14XE which lived to tell the tale.
Warren G

4th Oct 10 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine lived with 8 new valves
SportBoy

4th Oct 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put my old xe in the wrong gear many moons ago racing an rs focus ... rev needle went past my airbag light and nearly back to the start .. dam thing still ran tho !
Ingham
Banned

4th Oct 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went from 4th to 1st once but luckily didn't do any damage as dipped clutch straight away.
McWillster

5th Oct 10 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Yes, in my early years of driving I was racing my mate in his 1.4 8v Astra Si and he went from 3rd to 1st and bent valves and all sorts.

How did he even manage that? Both gears are at the top The movement from 3rd to first whilst racing shouldn't even of entered his head.
Paul_J

5th Oct 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I always assumed the limiter prevented it from happening. Then again ive only ever done something so stupid on gran turismo

Think what a rev limiter is?

... as you hit your rev limit, the fuel or spark is cut ... (controlled by ecu) this stops the engine revving higher.

Therefore, if you down shift from 5th to 2nd, then it will over rev (ok so the fuel and spark will not be happening) but the wheels, to transmission to engine will still be connected and cause the engine to rotate at the higher speed unless you dip the clutch to seperate the connection
Ojc

User status: Online
5th Oct 10 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by McWillster
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

How did he even manage that? Both gears are at the top The movement from 3rd to first whilst racing shouldn't even of entered his head.

The gearbox on his car was really stiff and hardwork anyway, and racing me and the fact he isn't that bright all were factors in his cars downfall.
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd done the 4th to 3rd, instead of 5th a few times, usually going a steady speed so i carry on in 3rd after making the mistake like i meant to do that

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 'Mechanical over rev' 23 database queries in 0.1007440 seconds