corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Have eBay gone mental? [UPDATE P2] /gdsn:S|DNglskgn

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Have eBay gone mental? [UPDATE P2] /gdsn:S|DNglskgn
Whittie

User status: Offline
11th Oct 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A case was opened against me today...

The case was that somebody hadn't recieved their item. (Which was a Apple Powerbook G4 Laptop, for Spares and Repairs only, Non Working!)

The user said that I have ignored all 8 of his emails;

However, he's sent one, which I've replied to, once to say the item was delivered, once to ask for feedback as he should have the item by now.

He's saying hes never recieved it.

Right... this is where I think eBay have gone Cuckoo...

They said that, i've not sent the item, even though I have clearly stated to click on a link, which takes them to this picture;

[SNIP]Pic Expired on Hosting[/SNIP]

After seeing proof of postage, and screenshots of my emails to the user, they have now said that I need to issue a refund.

Seriously, how the hell can I get out of that? Why should I issue a refund, the user is clearly trying a fast one, yet i've sent proof of postage to eBay, yet I'M in the wrong? WTF is going on

Anybody else ever been in the same situation? What happened?

[Edited on 03-11-2010 by Whittie]
Generation

11th Oct 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Call them up
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might send them an email saying to call me up. All I ever seem to do is wait on the phone for bloody PayPal, didnt even realise eBay had a contact number tbh.
Ste M

11th Oct 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps they're ignorant to Welsh?

I'd ring them mate.
Warren G

11th Oct 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay are shit

they took money out of my paypal for an item someone didnt get (late delivery) without proof etc

i mean you can so easy make a claim for a item you have got, and ebay would prob gett he money back too! its a joke
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Oct 10 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you not have the parcel tracked?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Oct 10 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll say that's not proper proof because it's not a tracked service.

Ebay is terrible for selling. Not only are you highly likely to not see any money at all, what you do receive will be taxed massively.
Havoc
Banned

12th Oct 10 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cancel your ebay and paypal accounts?
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Oct 10 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempting as it may sound, the alternatives are not attractive.
Havoc
Banned

12th Oct 10 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Tempting as it may sound, the alternatives are not attractive.

whats the worst that can happen? he has proof of the sale and many people do it on ebay, hes gonna get forced to refund, although have the emails you received not been forwarded on to ebay whittie?
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Oct 10 at 00:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean as an alternative to paying the money back? Granted, that may work.

I meant if you want to trade in future there is no other web site where you will get as much interest.
Havoc
Banned

12th Oct 10 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You mean as an alternative to paying the money back? Granted, that may work.

I meant if you want to trade in future there is no other web site where you will get as much interest.

the magic of ebay is you can cancel your account then make a new one when ever you please, imo doing what i said is his best option.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose you have an endless supply of cards and bank accounts to verify these accounts do you? Also being a new member all the time with zero feedback would do your sales zero help. Oh, and you can't just "cancel your account" then all fees and problems disappear

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by loafofbrett]
MarkSport

12th Oct 10 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this happen to me in 2005, I sold a powerblow backbox off my 106 and he said he never received it (even though i had proof of postage and it had a tracking number)

ebay took the money out my paypal and refunded the buyer meaning he got the exhaust for free
JaffaTB

12th Oct 10 at 06:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of the many reasons i dont use ebay anymore is that sellers cant leave bad feedback anymore, wtf is that all about? i had to list a nokia 5800 3 times due to people winning and then contacting me saying they had won one cheaper so no longer wanted it
taylorboosh

12th Oct 10 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB
one of the many reasons i dont use ebay anymore is that sellers cant leave bad feedback anymore, wtf is that all about? i had to list a nokia 5800 3 times due to people winning and then contacting me saying they had won one cheaper so no longer wanted it

i had this problem, they do however get unpaid item strikes
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 06:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not tracked? we have to send everything tracked to get any sort of insurance via our payment services.
LeeM

12th Oct 10 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold an iPhone, the guy lodges a dispute saying it was fake. I told him to send it me back and I'd gladly issue a refund. Then he lodged a dispute sayin he'd given it to the police so couldn't return it. eBay said he had 3 days to prove it before they closed the case in my favour, i was shocked!
However, over 2 weeks later they're emailing me asking for fees, they've tried my paypal but it's declined because of the negative balance because this case is still open!
Winemaker

12th Oct 10 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB

Yes you can, you leave the neg feedback in their good feedback section, if that makes sense.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put negative words in a positive feedback you mean. Pointless.
JaffaTB

12th Oct 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just cancelled the auction after it ended and got my listing and final value fees back
Sam
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the buyer claims he hasn't received the item, you will have to refund what he's paid you and claim compensation off whoever you sent the item with (in your case, Royal Mail).

This works exactly the same if you order stuff via mail order/Internet outside of eBay.

As you've sent this laptop by Standard Parcels AND have proof of postage, you are entitled to claim compensation:

quote:
For lost or damaged items that have an intrinsic (monetary) value, with evidence of posting with Royal Mail (such as a certificate of posting) and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) you will be entitled to a postage refund plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or 100 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is the lowest.

So in other words, you can get a refund for the £7.06 you paid plus £41.00 compensation off Royal Mail.

Unfortunately you will lose £5, but then you could have claimed that back as well if you increased the compensation amount (£1 increases compensation up to £100) or chose another service which automatically offered higher compensation.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but at the end of the day it's eBay and I assume you are selling these items under a business account - in which case you'd also have to abide by Distance Selling Regulations which state that you have to refund the customer if they've not received the goods etc. etc.
Rich H

12th Oct 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't win the case with eBay / PayPal Alex - I've had several cnuts do this to me recently (admittedly for smaller amounts than that)

Despite having proof of postage, the buyer can claim they've tried to contact me and I've not replied (even thought they haven't), then open a case against me, giving me the option to resolve the issue within 10 days with the buyer or grant permission to refund them their money. If neither option is taken, eBay / PayPal make their own decision after 10 days, which so far has always resulted in them siding with the buyer

I've had to take up claims with Royal Mail for lost post and only won 2 so far. Got the point where I'm considering ditching the whole shop / resale idea tbh.
Sam
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think at the end of the day if you don't want the agro send the items RECORDED - that way the buyers can't pull a fast one on you and it's not that much more than standard delivery prices.
Rich H

12th Oct 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I think at the end of the day if you don't want the agro send the items RECORDED - that way the buyers can't pull a fast one on you and it's not that much more than standard delivery prices.

In Alex's case for items such as that macbook, yeh should be done.

For me, it makes enough difference that nobody buys anything - I tried and as a result I barely sold a thing! It's got to the point I'm still mega busy with the other side of my business that I can't be doing with the hassle from the shop I'd rather just drop it than eat even further into small profit margins.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Have eBay gone mental? [UPDATE P2] /gdsn:S|DNglskgn 22 database queries in 0.0146501 seconds