corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hernia operation

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hernia operation
c20let

User status: Offline
12th Oct 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anyone on here ever had a hernia operation?
i'm going in for one on monday, been waiting ages to get it done.

heard its straight forward, been told i'll need at least 3 weeks off work though which is a bit of a blow.
harrisp

12th Oct 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My boss (a plumber) had a hernia op, came back to work after a couple of days, then ended up having a week off but then came back to work just avoided lifting for a while, he struggled with steps/ladders for a while. Just dont over do it if you go back.
ed

12th Oct 10 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad does hernias sometimes, this is what he has to say: http://www.hernia.ie/pages/recovery-period/

Dom

12th Oct 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup had an inguinal hernia op done about 18months ago. The op is fairly straight forward, was in theatre by midday and out of the door by 5pm. But i'm left with a 10inch scar (looks a bit black and decker bodge job tbf) just above my fella and the pain after the op was something else, could barely take a pee for the first week and having a crap was well out of the question. Wasn't completely pain free for 2months or so. Now i just get the typical scar tissue aches and pains whenever it's cold.

I recommend that you load up on painkillers (the strongest you can get), you might be alright but i was popping them left right and centre in the first week due to the pain.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my grandad had one, couple of days after he come out of hospital with a massive gash across his stomach stitched up i took him on a roller coaster
Anty
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by c20let
has anyone on here ever had a hernia operation?
i'm going in for one on monday, been waiting ages to get it done.

heard its straight forward, been told i'll need at least 3 weeks off work though which is a bit of a blow.

Ive had one , was only 6wks old though, you can get it twice in u life span so im told.
Adam-D

12th Oct 10 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends where it is.
ive had one, quite big. i ow have a fair sized bit of mesh in me
mooney

12th Oct 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had one last year,
the time off work depends on the work you do, i work on a production line and was told to take 6 weeks off,
got 3 little scar's, was done in work so had the operation in a bupa hospital, still felt a little twinge for a few months after
BluKoo

12th Oct 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had an inguinal hernia for over 3 years now. Just never really got round to getting it fixed. Can't be arsed with the time in bed

Thinking I should just get it over and done with as its getting worse and worse...
Fro

12th Oct 10 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had two, one on each nut :lol

Latest one was 12/13 the other was a few yesrs before. Not had anyothers since.

Felt like they'd shortened a leg when I first came to and tried to walk
Chris C

12th Oct 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a my pre op for one on Friday, it's funny because I was goig to start a thread today asking the same thing.

The did offer me too types of surgery, and I opted for the key hole.

How did you get yours??

I did mine at work (carpet fitter) and have been told I won't be able to fit for 3 months after the op!!

Desk work it is then....
alan-g-w

13th Oct 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one about 4 years ago, not very pleasant. I was only 16 so they decided that instead of the mesh route they would just stitch all the layers of muscle together. I think this ended up making the pain worse than what it would have been - when I came out of the operation I couldn't straighten my leg without it feeling like it was going to burst the stitches. The pain for the first few days wasn't too bad but after that whenever I was sitting down then getting back up the pain was so intense that it felt like someone holding a lighter on the hernia site, one of the few times my eyes have watered from pain. I had 4 weeks off work and got offered another 2, but had just started down at the factory as an apprentice so went back after the 4. Looking back I should have taken the 6 - best piece of advice would be don't rush the recovery.

I still get twinges like the hernia's back, have been back to the hospital 4 or 5 times for examinations and even a CAT scan. They've said it's probably nerve damage and just something I'm going to have to live with, the only other option is for them to cut me open and have a look around. And I don't fancy that one bit. If you can afford it I'd get it done on bupa, I've got a 5" scar from the NHS and as said still bother from it, whereas my uncle got it done via keyhole surgery (albeit with the mesh) with bupa and he's not had any other problems. If they give you a choice of mesh or stitchin, take the mesh.

[Edited on 13-10-2010 by alan-g-w]
Ben G

13th Oct 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
I've had two, one on each nut :lol

FUCK. THAT.

bloke in work had one, had 2 weeks off and came back early, then got made redundant a little while after

nothing to worry about, it's a common operation and you'll be fine, just don't rush back to work.
Chris C

13th Oct 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm having the mesh, about an 8 week wait surgeon said. Not looking forward to it one bit.

I'm such a girl, I hate injections lol
Ojc

13th Oct 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take Tramadol for the pain and become an addict.
Chris C

13th Oct 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give that a miss mate, doesn't sound too good that lol
Jamie Walby

13th Oct 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dads had a couple now! First one was years ago and was a big hefty scar. Had one last year and they did it with key hole surgery and had hardly no scar at all. Was back workin after a week and then fully recovered after 2-3 weeks.

Wish you a speedy recovery though!
sxibeast

13th Oct 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had mine done back in 2003 at Bupa. I can still feel the mesh under the surface, and the scar area does feel kind of numb, but im not exactly touching it all the time!

I do get the odd twinge in the area (usually if im working on the car alot etc) but usually just take it easy once it happens and slow down and keep an eye on what i am doing.

On the second week of recovery i did twist funny on the stairs and rip my newly forming scar open which hurt a tad, but nothing major!

My uncle now pretty much has just a giant sheet of plastic mesh in his groin/stomach area! Both lower ones popped twice each (had been repaired previously) and his stomach one went a couple of times aswell. He also now has no belly button due to that going aswell!
alan-g-w

13th Oct 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I nearly ripped my scar open by jumping up off the couch in the first week. These little bastards at about 15 were playing on my next door neighbours trampoline and hitting the ball into my garden while I'm lying there feeling sore and sorry for myself. I limped to the door with my right angled leg and asked them nicely if they could stop hitting the ball in the garden, explaining I was just out of an op. OK they said and I went back to the couch. Next thing I know a ball rolls in front of my (heavily tinted) front window and this wee ginger prick that I've hated ever since looked in as if to make sure I wasn't there and stuck his tongue out taking the piss. I jumped up off the couch, ignoring the pain and got to my front door just as the wanker was passing it. He shat himself with the force I threw the door open and I told him if he comes in my garden again I'll put the ball so far down his throat his mates would need to kick him in the arse to score a goal (or words to that effect). They fucked off, but it wasn't really worth it because I think that's maybe one of the main reasons I get so much pain now.

[Edited on 13-10-2010 by alan-g-w]
Chris C

13th Oct 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hernia operation 22 database queries in 0.0175059 seconds