corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Manchester United: Is anyone really worried about their ambition?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Manchester United: Is anyone really worried about their ambition?
Ben D

User status: Offline
21st Oct 10 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing now it's been highlighted alot of you are doubting our ability to challenge for the top honours and are worried in case this is the start of our fall from grace? especially now even our own star player in Wayne Rooney has started to highlight the lack of quality addition's to the squad.

Well I'm not worried in the slightest, If Fergie or David Gill say there is money to strengthen he team if needed then i believe him, because we've been here before as far back as 95-96 with amazing similarity's, Fergie had sold Kanchelskis to Everton, Sparky to Chelsea and Ince had headed off to Inter for a combined total of somewhere around £15m, Which was a sizeable amount in the mid 90's as far as transfer funds go. [Infact that was the World transfer record amount of the time]. Not to mention they lost Bryan Robson a season or 2 previous to retirement, who was our Ronaldo of the day.

Yet instead of spending his new found wealth on expensive established player's he chose to put his faith into the mostly unproven likes of Butt, Scholes, Beckham, Gary & Phil Neville to fill the void along with Roy Keane who despite being at the club for a couple of season's already had been somewhat in the shadows which initially also provoked similar criticism & doubts about the squad's ability to challenge for honour's domestic and otherwise, especially so when United found themselves 12 points adrift of Newcastle but i don't need to remind you all of how that ended....

Sorry for the history lesson and the bit of an essay but i was getting a bit sick of the idiocy, listening to the doom & gloom merchant's stating this is the end of Manchester United Because we've lost 2 of our star's over 3/4 years.

My point is this, Sir Alex knows what he is doing, He's done this before, he'll do it again

Discuss!
JonnyJ

21st Oct 10 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To answer your question. No, i couldn't give a fuck about Utds ambition or lack of it
JonnyJ

21st Oct 10 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And now for my serious reply.

Most of what i say is just banter to wind you lot up. Losing Rooney would not be the end of the world by a long shot, who you replace him with would be the key thing. If its another unknown youngster from bongobongo land then I'd start to worry.
Ben D

21st Oct 10 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your right in that sense we will need another top class established striker at the end of this season not only if Rooney leaves but also because i don't think Owen will be staying past the summer.

So unless Macheda shows that he is able to step into his shoes [which going off tonight's performance he cant] we will be in need of another class striker.
JonnyJ

21st Oct 10 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who was the last Utd signing who made you go "wow, that is pretty impressive" Ben?

Rooney, was still young but obviously had potential.

Berbatoss was a bit underwhelming imo, especially considering the amount of money spent!

Ronaldo again was young and mostly unproven.

Saying that, i cant recall a signing in the premiership in recent times that has really impressed me, not since Torres.
Ben D

21st Oct 10 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bebe

No seriously, Berbatov was probably the last star player we signed who i was excited about, even though he as you quite rightly elude to hadn't performed anywhere near his potential for his 1st 2 seasons which is unacceptable for a Manchester United player.

Since then our other major signing would have to be Valencia, he does a brilliant job for us down the right wing but because of who he was replacing meant he would never be exciting replacement.

Your point about the premiership is true, I dont think it has the same attraction it once had, it used to be littered with the likes of your Henry's, Bergkamp's, Ronaldo's etc and now it doesn't have many notable star's of this quality unfortunately, even the remaining ones such as Cesc, Rooney and even Drogba are looking to leave now

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by Ben D]
JonnyJ

21st Oct 10 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not great though when you say your last star singing was a Wigan player, especially as he was the replacement for one of the worlds best players.

But like i say i wouldnt worry too much because its not as if Arsenal or Chelsea are making massive signings. Man City are the only ones who, if they make the CL, could really start pressuring the other top clubs in the Premiership. Jury is out on them for now.
Ben D

21st Oct 10 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know it's rather tragic, And that was my initial reaction when i realised the best player in the world was being succeeded by a near anonymous Wigan player and Carlos Tevez was being replaced by sicknote Owen.

Then we get to this year and although we were just pipped to the premiership by 1 point and we were imo desperately unfortunate to be eliminated from the Champions League last season we were expecting major arrivals in the summer but no, we got a homeless kid and a spic who scores with his face

I still think we have a fantastic squad full of talent and other's with potential who are also progressing so as i said in my original post I'm not worried in the slightest.

I've said it before that Chelsea's squad looks lacking in depth, and i think it will tell come new year when the fixtures start piling up or they sustain a few more injuries, Arsenal although they play some beautiful football just don't look capable of taking the league and as for City well I'm not too sure but I can see them faltering to at some stage as their not quite a team just a bunch of greedy 2nd rate players thrown together.

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by Ben D]
Nic Barnes

21st Oct 10 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fergie is losing the dressing room control. Can see it in players. No confidence and don't care. Rooney quitting will just be the start of it.
Russ

21st Oct 10 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
as for City well I'm not too sure but I can see them faltering to at some stage as their not quite a team just a bunch of greedy 2nd rate players thrown together.

Isn't that most Premiership teams..
Limecat
Banned

21st Oct 10 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wayne in Spain will find less grannies on the game.

When they have lost £80m in a year I don't see where the money is coming from to replace the old buggers like Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Giggs etc and let's not forget the sick notes like Hargreaves and Owen.

You can have as much ambition as you want, if you haven't got a bean to scratch your arse with your only going the same way as Liverpool. Excellent!
Terry12

21st Oct 10 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Limecat
Wayne in Spain will find less grannies on the game.

When they have lost £80m in a year I don't see where the money is coming from to replace the old buggers like Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Giggs etc and let's not forget the sick notes like Hargreaves and Owen.

You can have as much ambition as you want, if you haven't got a bean to scratch your arse with your only going the same way as Liverpool. Excellent!

Once we get relegated we can wipe the floor with Oldham again. Lol
mwg

21st Oct 10 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends what does or doesn't happen in the next 2 summer transfer windows as we can't sell Rooney without splashing some cash. Ideal world we would be bringing in someone like Sneijder next summer but whether that happens or not I don't know.

I look at our team and I see a lot of players with potential but the problem is so far that Nani is the only one that's turned the potential in to top performances. He will improve still yet too though so that's encouraging, he has an eye for goal now.

I think a big mistake on our part has been in not signing Van der Vaart in addition to the others we signed this summer. Absolute bargain.
Russ

21st Oct 10 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideal world would surely be Al Mohamaddyhammysan offering glazers what they want for the club..
mwg

21st Oct 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideal world we would of carried on the way we were before they arrived, more than self sufficient, no pimp daddy required yet still managed to spend big but it was all our own doing from our success and fan base instead of being given a blank cheque like some teams are now.

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by mwg]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 10 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rooney is over hyped imo, especially this season
mwg

21st Oct 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the answer to all this Steve?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 10 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not fussed about him going maybe last season or before let him go someone else will come along
MJFF88

21st Oct 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I thought when reading that was "Liverpool fan". The past doesn't give even the slightest indication of whats happening today or tomorrow.

Though saying that I think UTD will be just fine!
mwg

21st Oct 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference and relevance is though that we have the same manager as in the past when similar situations arose and he dealt with them and got us through it. So we trust in him to do it again.

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by mwg]
MJFF88

21st Oct 10 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to be disrespectful to the person who, in my eyes is the greatest football manager the country has ever seen, he is getting on & I don't think his mind is what it was 15 years ago. But as I say, everything will be fine, even more so for UTD when Mourinho takes over (Even though he said he was keen on coming to Palace )
Tommy L

21st Oct 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

United's team is just over average these days. Not enough class players anymore, something we usually see there.

You're best players this season so far have been the grandads of the team, giggs and scholes. They are 35/36 and no will no doubt be retiring at the end this season. You know it's bad when its like that.

Ojc

21st Oct 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

United's time is over, it's time for you idiots that jumped on their bandwagon in the mid ninetys to wake the fuck up and sulk like Liverpool have been doing for nearly 20 years.

It's Manchester City & Chelseas time to reign supreme while you battle it out with Spurs for 3rd spot.
mwg

21st Oct 10 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WE'LL NEVER DIE
Ojc

21st Oct 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what Liverpool said.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Manchester United: Is anyone really worried about their ambition? 23 database queries in 0.0127170 seconds